Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Federico Foschini
Italy
Forli
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I'm searching for heavy games possibly playable for 3-4 people with simple mechanics but not too abstract.

Example of games I like a lot:
Colonialism
Container
Imperial

Examples of games where there is too much to do
Ora et labora
Madeira
Tzolk'in
russian rail roads
Village

Examples of games too abstract
Chess
Go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Gengar in Hawaii
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid

Maybe Terra Mystica, but maybe still too much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansa Teutonica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Vickers
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
+1 on Power Grid.

Really the game is just the management/balancing of funds between buying power plants, buying resources and buying connections. But there is a lot of depth there. I like the game more every time I play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Foschini
Italy
Forli
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks I will check out Power Grid e Hans Teutonica for sure.
I've already played Terra mystica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe J. Rushanan
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Board Gamers Never Are
mbmbmbmbmb
18xx

It's Imperial with trains

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Not sure I would describe any of these as heavy games, but here are two that fit with your other preferred games.

Railways of the World
Age of Industry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
With its expansion maps, Age of Industry offers a VERY diverse playing experience. Unfortunately the best maps are not those offered in the base game so you'll most likely have to look for expansion maps, but even the worst map (Germany) is fun.

18XX are heavy games.

American Rails is dead easy to learn with only 2 pages of rules and there is a LOT, like a LOT of fun stuff to do while you're playing. You have few options available, but their effect is significant and you should be balancing quite a lot of you're doing it right.

As far as economic games go Imperial, Age of Industry and American Rails are my favorites. Very different games all of them fun! Only AoI has real 2 player attraction though. I don't know if that's an issue for you.

Rules-wise Age of Industry can feel a bit weird from time to time. It's not a complex game IMO, but there are some important points that might not be very intuitive. American Rails is pants-on-head simple rules-wise and puts ALL its heft into the actual gameplay.

Edit2: I'm going to step on some toes here but... Power Grid is a classic game. It's a predecessor of economic games and its age is starting to show, in the same way that Caylus is starting to show its seniority for the worker placement genre. They are the 'great giants' but many newer games have used the same mechanics to much greater and much more FUN effect. Power Grid is a very long elementary school test where you're mostly adding up small numbers all the time. Like ALL the time and it's not very fun, 'though it might represent a lot of game. PG's time is up and I think you should look elsewhere for better economic/auction games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid is not heavy. It's a medium-weight game. It's listed as the same weight as Puerto Rico (I think it plays lighter), and it's lighter than Agricola, which I would also say is not heavy.

Also, based on the other games you thought had "too much to do", I'd say to stay away from Terra Mystica too.

My recommendation is Brass. All you want to do is build building to get points. There are a decent amount of little rules, yes, but as far as what you want to do, it's very straight forward.

Other recommendations include these:

Caylus has pretty straight-forward objectives too.
Indonesia is an economic simulation where you just want to get rich. I've never played it, but I've heard the last round or two will make your head explode, while still being a simple game rules-wise.
Planet Steam is what I'd recommend over Power Grid. It has an auction round, and a map where you building up your little economic engine, but the interactions here are more in depth. Players manipulate the market in a trickier way too.
Poseidon is a watered-down 18xx game. You'll get your fee wet in the 18xx world to see if it's for you.
Tigris & Euphrates - All you want to do is get more cubes in the color you have the least. It's doing it that proves very tricky.
Struggle of Empires - It's area-control scoring, 3 times. Very similar to El Grande in terms of goals. But this game offers a heavy logistical and economic challenge. Such a fantastic design. But you need 4+ to really enjoy it. I think 5 is the magic number.

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Tammany Hall
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigris & Euphrates
Samurai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunke wrote:
in the same way that Caylus is starting to show its seniority for the worker placement genre. They are the 'great giants' but many newer games have used the same mechanics to much greater and much more FUN effect.

The day Caylus is surpassed by another worker placement game in any form or way is the day I will buy another euro. Until then I'll be sticking to abstracts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Java
Kaivai
El Caballero
Taj Mahal
Friedrich/Maria
Wongar
Magna Grecia
Keythedral
Logistico
-- possibly "too much things to do"
Indonesia
Senji
In the Shadow of the Emperor
Reef Encounter
-- Possibly "too abstract"
Torres
Ur
Gulf, Mobile & Ohio

FYI, I think any 18xx will score very high on the "too much things to do"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization?

I feel like there are a lot of things you can do and there are several paths to victory you can take. However, on any given turn, it's generally pretty straight forward what you should/need to do.

Like any game (especially heavy ones), the first game or two will likely feel like there is a ton to do and maybe feel overwhelming. But I feel that any game worth playing feels that way at first. I think this game is a bit more transparent in what to do. It just comes down to what paths others take and how efficiently they do it. It'll just take a few exposures to all of the cards (and you'll see almost all of the main cards each game) for the most efficient paths to victory to become really clear. As long as you play with other players of similar experience, it's not an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
The best recommendation I can give is The Great Zimbabwe. Amazing replayability, simple rules, and has enough meat to give a nice brain burn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Arctic Jack wrote:
Stunke wrote:
in the same way that Caylus is starting to show its seniority for the worker placement genre. They are the 'great giants' but many newer games have used the same mechanics to much greater and much more FUN effect.

The day Caylus is surpassed by another worker placement game in any form or way is the day I will buy another euro. Until then I'll be sticking to abstracts.

Judging by your game ratings, I don't think a worker placement game will ever replace Caylus. You're too fond of abstracts and Caylus is very close to an abstract.

Since you already own a chess set that you're fond of, why not play Arimaa with it? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Also; No hex?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid: A great game, but I think you need to have a group that enjoys auctions

Lords of Waterdeep: Replace the cubes with some Lords of Waterdeep: Character Meeples and this is a fun game with some D&D theme

Sunrise City: Simple enough - construct city zones, build city - with some devious thinking required to maximise your scoring while "helping" others to score and mess up their planning.

Belfort: Race to be the best at rebuilding the city of Belfort by attracting new workers or adding your own buildings

Eclipse: Probably falls into the "too much to do" category, but at its heart there are only a few actions you can take (except perhaps Upgrade where you can have fun with the 100+ upgrade tokens)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Concordia

Egizia

King of Siam (very simple yet thinky)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like Agricola falls under this. It has some deep strategy with fairly simple options

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunke wrote:
Arctic Jack wrote:
Stunke wrote:

Judging by your game ratings, I don't think a worker placement game will ever replace Caylus. You're too fond of abstracts and Caylus is very close to an abstract.

Since you already own a chess set that you're fond of, why not play Arimaa with it? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Also; No hex?

Yes you’re probably right Stunke.

I’ve never played Arimaa but I remember reading the rules a while ago. Chess variants I instinctively shy away from, especially modern ones. I’m sure if I tried it though I really would enjoy it. I have my Chess style games taken up with Chess and Shogi though. Plus they have masses of literature I can sink my teeth into.

Hex... I’ve played this and enjoy it. Not having a physical board sort of leaves me playing this one only now and again online. I may slightly prefer Twixt I’m not sure. I would have to play and learn more about hex to make my mind up but they’re quite similar.

After reading this thread, I do have an eye on ‘The Great Zimbabwe’ .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lazzaro

Schaumburg
Illinois
msg tools
Despite that Hansa Teutonica is one of my favorite games, it speaks totally to too many things to do.

I'm thinking maybe check out Francis Drake or Concordia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunke wrote:
Judging by your game ratings, I don't think a worker placement game will ever replace Caylus. You're too fond of abstracts and Caylus is very close to an abstract. :)

All worker placement games are abstract. Worker placement is a totally gamey, abstracted mechanism.

Arctic Jack wrote:
I’ve never played Arimaa but I remember reading the rules a while ago. Chess variants I instinctively shy away from, especially modern ones.

Arimaa is not a chess variant and is not made to be at all like chess. It is just an abstract you can play with a chess set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Endeavor, Keyflower, Key Market, Navagador.

Probably lighter than you're looking for. But I'm not entirely sure what you mean by too much to do. (Imperial seems like a lot of stuff to do, to me, though I like it. Keyflower doesn't actually have much to do, but there are so many choices every turn I can see AP being an issue.)

Is Dominant Species too much to do? Age of Empires III removes a layer from that game, and is also awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Arctic Jack wrote:
Yes you’re probably right Stunke.

I’ve never played Arimaa but I remember reading the rules a while ago. Chess variants I instinctively shy away from, especially modern ones...

It's not a chess variant by any means, it's much more of a puzzle solver where chess is a bit more war. Arimaa just happens to use the same playing pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.