Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I reading the rules right that if during the end of a supply phase, if the Union is three spaces away from a decisive victory they can just declare Emancipation and win? Obviously, Rebs on Yankee soil wouldn't allow it to happen, but this seems like a cheesy way for the Union to win in my opinion. The CSA could do the same thing on the other side of the coin with the turn VP they are awarded, but they would need to be only one space away from decisive victory, not three.

Have any of you experienced players had a game end this way? If so, how did the CSA player take it?

I will be playing Bobby Lee for the first time tomorrow and I want to be sure I understand all the possibilities. If my opponent ends up with CSA I want him to be aware that this could happen and should do whatever necessary to keep the Union too close to victory entering the supply phase. I may even house rule it so the Union can't declare Emancipation before the winter 1863 turn which is historically when it happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You are reading the rules correctly. During a Supply Turn (so that means in any of the steps in rule 9.0), the Union player can declare the Emancipation Proclamation and get 3 VPs. Presumably he would do it during the Supply or Town VP steps. If that puts him into the Decisive victory, then he wins the game (even before the Confederate player gets his Time VP). So both players need to be aware of this, and the Confederate player desperately has to keep the Union from getting within 3 VPs of victory before the Union player declares it.

Historically, I might argue that it took place in the Autumn Turn of 1862, when it was issued, but Winter 1863 makes sense too, since that is when it actually took effect.

I have not seen the Proclamation win a game in 1862, and it is usually declared in that year. More often, the USA player issues it to prevent a CSA victory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As Mark says, it's really unlikely that the 3 VP jump would put the Union into victory because, since Emancipation can be automatically declared so early, it's doubtful the Union would be that close to winning.

In my experience (and probably everyone else's), Emancipation is always declared at the very first possible instant. There is no prerequisite, and the significant benefits kick in the next turn: the Union income jumps up by +3.

Of course, a few turns after Emancipation, when the Union has been benefiting from that +3 income, they will be closer to victory.

Basically, it offsets the rebel +1 VP/turn for three turns.

I would discourage you from imposing house rules before you have any experience with the game, but that's just personal preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. You are right, I should play the game first before second judging the design. With regard to the sequence of the supply phase I thought the steps had to be executed in order (9.0 Supply) and on the back page of the 3.0 rules it has drafts/emancipation as the last step.

So it is possible to declare emancipation at any time during the supply phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kinga1965 wrote:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. You are right, I should play the game first before second judging the design. With regard to the sequence of the supply phase I thought the steps had to be executed in order (9.0 Supply) and on the back page of the 3.0 rules it has drafts/emancipation as the last step.

So it is possible to declare emancipation at any time during the supply phase?

Interesting, rule 9.0 does not mention a specific step for the Proclamation, and 4.4 only says during the Supply Turn. But you are right, the sequence of play on the last page lists the Emancipation/Draft as the last step in the Supply Turn. Normally, I ignore such listings on the last page because they often go over looked when rules are updated. However, we have already had the precedent of the +1 forage limit listed in the Terrain Effects chart being real despite not being mentioned in the body of the rules. So based on that, I would say the Proclamation does have to be issued in that last step.

Of course that raises the question of timing within that last step. Does the CSA player get to know if the USA is issuing the Proclamation before deciding whether to call a draft? Since it is listed first, I guess you could say that the Proclamation is handled first in that last step, then players simultaneously decide on drafts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark,

Since Emancipation/Draft is listed as part of the last phase of supply, I would suspect the CSA would be able to know before they draft if Emancipation would be declared since the note in 9.0 states if timing conflicts arise about who performs an action last the CSA always has the right. I take this to mean the CSA player would have the right to choose whether they perform the draft before or after the USA has proclaimed Emancipation.

For the USA, Emancipation could be used to steal a marginal victory from the CSA at the end of 1864 and force the war into 1865. Some players have stated in these forums that they use the Emancipation when it becomes available, yet to me it seems more useful to use it to avert a CSA marginal victory. A marginal victory can not be had by the USA until 1865 anyway.

In an effort to help us learn the game, we automatically had the USA perform the supply actions first then the CSA would follow. We didn't do this to gain insight on the opponents plans, but more to be sure we both performed the mechanics correctly, particularly for replacements. It is easy to forget how many steps you have been assigning to hexes with the expanded numbers for 1862 and 1863.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree, the CSA does have that choice over timing. Good, that makes sense to have any Proclamation issued before deciding on drafts!

Using the Proclamation is a little more complicated for me than just issuing as soon as possible. Though often I have had to, since by early 1862 in my games, the CSA is often pushing toward the +3 and +4 range. But given the luxury of choosing, I am not always interested in giving the CSA that production boost from the Proclamation. So timing is an important issue for the Proclamation. Holding it until 1864 would be an interesting strategy, but I have never gotten past 1863 without the CSA threatening to win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.