Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dwarf cannon seems amazing. Question: the rules say to ignore hit results at siege range. The cannon tells us to treat hits and crits as scatters additionally. What if I roll a hit at siege range? Is it ignored totally, or just the hit portion, and the attack still scatters? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that it would be ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Cornara
Italy
Varese
flag msg tools
https://snipertroll.wordpress.com - https://shiftingmists.wordpress.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Under the description of the Hit result (page 11), it reads "Ignore this result when making an attack at siege range." so my guess is you ignore it entirely, but just to be sure I'm checking with FFG at the first chance and post their answer here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
I think you'd treat it as if you rolled a 'scatter' result as well as a 'hit'. This 'hit' would be ignored but the scatter would be enacted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You see why I might be confused!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hurzeler
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have my copie of the game yet but this is how I would play it as you worded it "treat hits and crits as scatters additionally." the key word to me would be "additionally" when you roll a hit with the canon its treated as a hit and a scatter so rolling a Hit at siege range would be rolling a hit then in addition to that hit you also rolled a scatter, so the hit is ignored but the additional scatter rolled as a result of rolling the hit is not and you would resolve a scatter normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Mathes
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually rules on cards/units are exceptions to the printed rules. With this in mind, I would guess that the hits would be re-rolled as scatters as the disk says, then just the hit portion is ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Syrio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you all help me understand "siege range"? I cant find it in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PKDuke wrote:

Siege range is shooting beyond the range ruler. A lot of artillery can shoot at siege range, with reduced efficacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two relevant die results that you can have for the purpose of this discussion are:

1. Hit
2. Scatter.

The rules say that you Ignore hit results at Siege range.

The rules do not say ignore scatter results at siege range.

The rules also say you resolve scatter before you resolve hits (p19)

The Runic cannon uses the dice icons in the special ability. i will replace them with the words. Word for word it says:

"treat Hit and Critical Hit also as Scatter"

So my reading is if I roll a hit it is also considered a scatter. Think of it as a die with two icons on the face. I think two examples might help.

Example 1 shooting at long range. I roll a Hit and a Critical Hit. I would roll and resolve two scatter die for the two hits and I do 8 points of damage to the original target and mark with an activation token because of the crit.

Example two Siege Range. I roll the same thing. I resolve two scatter. I ignore the damage caused by the hit and inflict 4 damage for the crit and put the activation token on the target.

I think to rule otherwise makes the runic cannon much less valuable at 12 points and no wound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignore the above reasoned analysis. He spent this evening blasting me to bits with his precious cannon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmw23 wrote:
Ignore the above reasoned analysis. He spent this evening blasting me to bits with his precious cannon!

He is forgetting to mention the part where he killed the canon and won the second game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I submitted the question to FFG this morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
PKDuke wrote:

Siege range is shooting beyond the range ruler. A lot of artillery can shoot at siege range, with reduced efficacy.

Siege range meaning shooting anywhere on the board(beyond the range ruler)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
Yep. Just as long as you have LoS. However, attacks made at siege range don't count hits from the 'hit' result on the dice so your artillery is still stronger at long range and shorter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asen Aleksandrov
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
rexgator wrote:

Did they reply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peterpotamus wrote:
rexgator wrote:

Did they reply?

Not so far. I am guessing this might be a vacation week for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got an answer on this yesterday. You ignore the die altogether when a hit is rolled at Siege range. I am quoting the response below.

Quote:
Rexgator,

Thanks for the question. The die is completely ignored, and does not count as a scatter. Hope that helps,

--
Lukas Litzsinger
Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games
llitzsinger@fantasyflightgames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
Good to have that cleared up. Though I still think it works fine either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it is not a deal breaker on whether someone includes the cannon. I am still not sure I want it in my dwarf list but some more playing should let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
In our group (even playing with hits still generating scatters at siege range) we were quickly finding that in two regiment games nobody wanted to use the Runic Cannon. In three regiment games though, you'd not find many armies that didn't have the cannon and at least one if not more engineers.

Actually in general we were finding that nobody grabbed the cannon without also grabbing at least one engineer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hinkes
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My buddy has been playing a really tough Dwarf army with a cannon and engineer (and sometimes even Rally). It is really strong. The cannon forces you to come to him, where all his defensive Dwarves are really strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.