Popular Tags: [View All]
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like most great board games get emulated, improved, cloned, re-themed, etc. Where are the RftG clones?

The one quasi-example i can think of is Eminent Domain, but that's waaaay more of a deckbuilder than an RftGer. It doesn't count to me.

Are there many but they all suck, so i've never heard about them? Please to be listing said clones even if they suck, for curiosity or posterity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S.
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played it, but I believe Glory to Rome is supposed to be a RftG/San Juan-ish game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
decadence20 wrote:
Never played it, but I believe Glory to Rome is supposed to be a RftG/San Juan-ish game.

GtR was inspired by San Juan, so if it's a RftG clone, it's an indirect/unintentional one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
decadence20 wrote:

GtR was inspired by San Juan, so if it's a RftG clone, it's an indirect/unintentional one...

But weren't San Juan and RftG clones of each other? (e.g. developed at the same time in pseudo-cooperation between designers)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
looleypalooley wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
decadence20 wrote:

But weren't San Juan and RftG clones of each other? (e.g. developed at the same time in pseudo-cooperation between designers)

Yeah, both of them were kind of "Puerto Rico the Card Game," right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you curious which other games have cards that have multiple functionalities like roles, currency, buildings etc?

There are a few out there besides GtR & San Juan:
-Bruges (inspired by GtR)
-Uchronia (same designer as GtR)
-Innovation (same designer as GtR)
-Traders of Osaka
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of:

euro-design pattern
7 Wonders
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Glory To Rome

role selection
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Glory To Rome

use cards to directly pay for other cards
Lyssan
San Juan
Glory To Rome
IIRC, Among The Stars

A bit rough around the edges...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/50909/card-games-where...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To qualify as a RftG clone, a game has to have come out in 2008 at the earliest.

JohnnyDollar wrote:
Are you curious which other games have cards that have multiple functionalities like roles, currency, buildings etc?

Sure. Though mainly i'm looking to hear about actual clones / games heavily inspired specifically by RftG.

ackmondual wrote:
Among The Stars

The art of that game is quite impressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Alabaster Smitty
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
It seems like most great board games get emulated, improved, cloned, re-themed, etc. Where are the RftG clones?

The one quasi-example i can think of is Eminent Domain, but that's waaaay more of a deckbuilder than an RftGer. It doesn't count to me.

I think you answered your own question here - deckbuilders became the craze, while the mechanics of RFTG did not take off. Deckbuilding games might not have the complexity and strategy levels that RFTG has in the same number of cards, but they are typically easier to explain and play with non-gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glory to Rome may have been inspired by Race, but it has a very unique set of mechanics, so while you could put it into the same general class of card-based economic strategy games, I would never call it a clone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
didn't glory to rome come out several years before rftg, and only shortly after san juan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
autoplectic wrote:
didn't glory to rome come out several years before rftg, and only shortly after san juan?

But RftG was designed at about the same time as SJ - essentially the same roots - but because of its complexity spent much, much longer in development and playtesting. Not sure about the timeline for GtR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, Glory to Rome was inspired by San Juan, not RftG. Any similarities to RftG are due to the similarities between San Juan & RftG.

Glory to Rome started as an argument.

When Erek Slater first showed him San Juan, Carl Chudyk was extremely unimpressed, claiming that it was hardly even a game.

Erek defended San Juan as simple, fun and playable; Carl disagreed strongly, and to back up his argument he put together a prototype (which he called "Be") to show the kind of mechanics he would use if he were to design a similar role based resource management game.
"Be" became Glory To Rome.

CGF / GTR - October 2004 to June 2007
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's interesting thinking about the genealogy of games and their development/inspiration.

_____________________________ San Juan ___ Race for the Galaxy
_________________________________S
__________________________Glory to Rome
__________________________SW___S___SE
__________________Uchronia__Innovation__Bruges
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Throw in El Grande and Twilight Imperium 2 on the right and you can pull arrows from Puerto Rico and the other two to TI3!

It's amazing how much influence Verräter has had on the development of eurogames for a game so few people know about. Unfortunately, it's not the greatest game...though it's got some great ideas and Meuterer is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:

I was expecting the first few replies to be along the lines of "RFTG isn't a great board game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrojH wrote:
entranced wrote:

I was expecting the first few replies to be along the lines of "RFTG isn't a great board game."

You don't think it's great, or you don't think it's a boardgame?

I haven't played it myself, although I'm eager to try someday. While I've heard good things about it, I also always hear about the challenging learning curve and iconography. Which may also explain the dearth of "clones".
I've also heard the iconography praised for being strongly "coherent," and interesting player interactions, both of which intrigue me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
It's interesting thinking about the genealogy of games and their development/inspiration.

_____________________________ San Juan ___ Race for the Galaxy
_________________________________S
__________________________Glory to Rome
__________________________SW___S___SE
__________________Uchronia__Innovation__Bruges

BTW, you could've also used the "code" or 'c' tags to align text vertically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Never heard of that, I'll have to look into it!
I tried simply "center" but it didn't line up right with the arrows, that would've only worked if there was one game per row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Never heard of that, I'll have to look into it!
I tried simply "center" but it didn't line up right with the arrows, that would've only worked if there was one game per row.
IIRC, there might be an actual programming and development thread here on BGG. Otherwise, you do get snippets of computer code every now and then, but yeah, it seems to be primarily used to align and format posts so you can create tables and charts without resorting to images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
looleypalooley wrote:
But weren't San Juan and RftG clones of each other?

No. San Juan is a combination, by the publisher, of Andreas Seyfarth's PRCG (Puerto Rico Card Game) prototype and the pay-for-cards-with-cards mechanism (which Richard Borg and I came up with) taken from my PRCG prototype.

RFTG was done 1 year later when I revisited my PRCG design and combined it with an unpublished space CCG, Duel for the Stars, done back in '95-'96.

So, my unpublished PRCG (March-April 2003) is the common ancestor to both San Juan and RFTG. I designed RFTG in May 2004.

The diagram is missing two arrows from Puerto Rico to two PRCG prototypes whose ideas were combined together to form San Juan; and RFTG is missing an arrow from my PRCG and from the non-listed Duel for the Stars.

This is what happens when you try to trace design evolution only through published games and not the many unpublished prototypes that occur along the way.

(It's also missing The City, which I did after RFTG to see whether I could design a substantially simpler game using the pay-for-cards mechanism, and the Kosmos game Around the World in 80 days, which also riffed on the role selection idea.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good point, OP.

I don't know the answer. Because we've all been too busy still playing RFTG thousands of times to care if another game like it comes out?

I'll start designing a rftg clone tonight!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
So, my unpublished PRCG (March-April 2003) is the common ancestor to both San Juan and RFTG. I designed RFTG in May 2004.

It's the famous "missing link" of evolutionary theory!

People might find this podcast episode informative:

The Long View: Tom Lehman Interview
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:

Are there many but they all suck, so i've never heard about them? Please to be listing said clones even if they suck, for curiosity or posterity.

Two things:

First, Dominion is HUGE. Super successful and easily milked for expansions. I don't know how successful RFTG is, but not so much that you could say "even if we get 10% of the player base to try our knockoff, we hit it big" like all the deckbuilder designers did.

Second: RFTG has two distinctive mechanics: Simultaneous action selection, (which was pretty established when it came out), and paying-for-cards-with-cards (a new mechanic, as noted by the designer above). If a knock-off used both, it would probably seem incredibly derivative (Sirlinesque?) and most designers would try to mix up the formula. But if you only steal one of the mechanics, it probably wouldn't feel like RFTG anymore.

That said, I have wondered the same thing. I'd like to publish a game some day, and many of the games I work on could be described as "RFTG Inspired"... And of course, there's also Patronage (fan expansion to Race for the Galaxy). But Dominion is super simple and self-balances (even if a card is too strong, it's equally available to all players); practically anyone could translate it to one theme or another. On the other hand, designing a card set for Race is a time-consuming process of playtesting and iteration. I knew RFTG was great, but designing a homebrew set took my appreciation for its balance to a whole new level. It's a perfectly tuned machine.

You can see this for yourself: Take fifteen cards at random out of the base deck and play a few games with what's left--I guarantee the games won't 'feel right', and you will probably end up with some really wonky scores.

And so, the real reason is probably just that Race is complex, and the card-sifting formula is just harder to design for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Voxen wrote:
entranced wrote:

Two things:

First, Dominion is HUGE. Super successful and easily milked for expansions. I don't know how successful RFTG is, but not so much that you could say "even if we get 10% of the player base to try our knockoff, we hit it big" like all the deckbuilder designers did.

Second: RFTG has two distinctive mechanics: Simultaneous action selection, (which was pretty established when it came out), and paying-for-cards-with-cards (a new mechanic, as noted by the designer above). If a knock-off used both, it would probably seem incredibly derivative (Sirlinesque?) and most designers would try to mix up the formula. But if you only steal one of the mechanics, it probably wouldn't feel like RFTG anymore.

That said, I have wondered the same thing. I'd like to publish a game some day, and many of the games I work on could be described as "RFTG Inspired"... And of course, there's also Patronage (fan expansion to Race for the Galaxy). But Dominion is super simple and self-balances (even if a card is too strong, it's equally available to all players); practically anyone could translate it to one theme or another. On the other hand, designing a card set for Race is a time-consuming process of playtesting and iteration. I knew RFTG was great, but designing a homebrew set took my appreciation for its balance to a whole new level. It's a perfectly tuned machine.

You can see this for yourself: Take fifteen cards at random out of the base deck and play a few games with what's left--I guarantee the games won't 'feel right', and you will probably end up with some really wonky scores.

And so, the real reason is probably just that Race is complex, and the card-sifting formula is just harder to design for.

Among the practical advantages that Race has over Dom are:
--much more compact
RftG box is smaller than Dom, and even if you apply space saving measures, RftG still comes out ahead
--cheaper
Dom has tremendous replayability, but all of those expansions will set you back $250 to $360.
--non need to own Dominion, sort of
it's so ubiquitous in gaming circles that some folks will just play with other people's copies

Dominion is more modular, so unbalanced cards shouldn't hurt as much (although according to the designer diaries, many of the sets got designed with each other in mind)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.