Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious if we misplayed somehow. We had 5 players.

In the first round we had something like 5 event cards drawn. given that 4 of us were new to the game remember what these would do was pretty much impossible. Of note, one of these meant we had to always roll a challenge to place an influence token (vs "the mob" or something) and at the end of the round we all lost 1 influence token from the board. Both of these required territorial challenges which all 5 of us combined still had no hope of defeating until about round 4 or 5. One guy won his rolls and got all 3 influence out, I lost all 3 and got none...

And what's the payoff for being first in prestige at end of round? You get to go first? which is basically a drawback since you have to act before knowing what everyone else is doing? As I understand it this is the only impact of score during the game.

And at the end when you have a great score, the other guys can just come and beat you to a bloody pulp putting you into torpor and thus invalidating your score? Sounds.. fun.

Maybe it was just the event cards but 3 rounds in there was no need for us to interact with one another at all. We arbitrarily fought other players out of boredom and excluded players on the events we could beat just out of pure spite.

There were often rounds where I had 1 choice or 0 choices... would you like to draw a card or gain 1 life? Would you like to challenge an event card or do nothing?

When the game was explained it seemed like it would be neat, but the execution just seemed abysmal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niclas Matikainen
Sweden
Gävle
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, multiple Events showing up at the same time, especially early in the game, can really ruin this game.
My group hasn't bothered with house rules for this yet, but there's been talk of a maximum number of Event in play, or maybe only allowing 1 Event to be played each players turn...

Having to go first for being in the lead supposed to be a drawback, you're everyone's target at that point.
Celerity and Obfuscate can save you to some extent here, but yeah, being in the lead is tough.
EDIT: Moving to the Elysium can keep off a few obvious attacks as well, but that usualy puts you in a place on the board that isn't very desirable...

In my group, we've found that physical attacks are a bit to powerful, and reduced the damage they do from 3 to 2 Vitae.

EDIT:
As for possible missplays, you're supposed to have two Resource Actions on a turn, not one.
Though I suppose you might have been reduced to only one due to an Event or being low on Vitae and thus being forced to Hunt at least once each turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me of my first (and only) play of this game and why I rated it a 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Thomas
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
you also don't need to be next to an area to attempt control or contest it once you have influence in the same zone which is important to remember. also mental challenges at this point would be very helpful with the limited influence happening so one of you could steal more attempts to gain influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.