Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AAron G
United States
Tallmadge
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one Nissa Revane, four Nissa's chosen, and four nylea, God of the Hunt cards, one Elvish Archdruid, and seven other elf cards but there all commons. Anyone have a few suggestions to what kind of elf cards to look for to place in the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hmph! "Modern-Day Robin Hood." What am I supposed to do? Steal from myself and give to the poor?
badge
This. This is what I am. This is who I am. Come hell or high water. If I deny it, I deny everything I've ever done... Everything I've ever fought for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Specific format or just casual?

EDIT: Budget?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wellwisher (common)
ezuri, renegade leader (rare)
thornweald archer (common)
talara's battalion (rare)
joraga warcaller (rare)
imperious perfect (uncommon)
wren's run vanquisher (uncommon)
mul daya channelers (rare)
wirewood lodge (uncommon)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Priest of Titania and/or Elvish Archdruid + Staff of Domination + 5 total Elves on your field = infinite mana, infinite life, infinite card draw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AAron G
United States
Tallmadge
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no format I've got old and new cards in the set, but I could limit myself to theros block if I hafta....and cards under $10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hmph! "Modern-Day Robin Hood." What am I supposed to do? Steal from myself and give to the poor?
badge
This. This is what I am. This is who I am. Come hell or high water. If I deny it, I deny everything I've ever done... Everything I've ever fought for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Theros didn't have elves so you may have to look back further. Zendikar and lorwyn were a good times for elves. Next question: Combo or Agro?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AAron G
United States
Tallmadge
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wellwisher...definitely meh on.
Ezuri, Renegade Leader .....giddy about this one
thornweald archer.....very nice
talara's battalion....are you serious that seems like a sweet card four please
joraga warcaller....this one has a good feel
imperious perfect...appears to be an upgrade to my Elvish archdruid
wren's run vanquisher....cards like this and ill wish to be able to have more than the 60 max
mul daya channelers love this card too, ug too many good ones now

wirewood lodge...might have to vacation at the lodge soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AAron G
United States
Tallmadge
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
probably combo I don't seem to have too many low cost options for elves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AAron G
United States
Tallmadge
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
Priest of Titania and/or Elvish Archdruid + Staff of Domination + 5 total Elves on your field = infinite mana, infinite life, infinite card draw

I just worked this out in my head, this seams like cheating or something.....If I did this I don't think anyone will want to play me casually anymore with my elf deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nettle Sentinel
Heritage Druid
Elvish Visionary
Cloudstone Curio
Fauna Shaman
Arbor Elf
Llanowar Elves
Elvish Mysic

All under $10 each.

Top two combo together to make lots of mana.
The next two make lots of card drawing.
The next is a tutor.
The last three are mana ramp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
Elves. It had to be elves. I hate elves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dirubin wrote:
Elves. It had to be elves. I hate elves!

There is no need to hate on the best tribe in magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't big on well-wisher at first but it is TOO good, play it. Battalion sucks. it seems great but it rarely works well.

You should go to magiccards.info and search for elves you'll have all your answers there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AAron G
United States
Tallmadge
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
k thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
trmptdrummer wrote:
Nettle Sentinel
Heritage Druid
Elvish Visionary
Cloudstone Curio
Fauna Shaman
Arbor Elf
Llanowar Elves
Elvish Mystic

My son is an avid Elf player. I asked him for advice and he says "get these cards". He had these additional suggestions:

"Wirewood Symbiote, not an Elf but really good with elvish visionary
Quirion Ranger, good with elves that tap for mana
Birchlore Ranger, always good with a nettle sentinel
Fyndhorn Elves, for extra mana
Geen Sun's zenith, let's you get your favorite elf you didn't draw"

Hope it helps. If my record against his elves is any indication, this is probably solid advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
trmptdrummer wrote:
Theros didn't have elves so you may have to look back further. Zendikar and lorwyn were a good times for elves. Next question: Combo or Agro?

Onslaught too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 Llanowar Elf
4 Elvish Mystic

4 Heritage Druid
4 Nettle Sentinel
4 Wrens Run Vanquisher

4 Elvish Arch Druid
4 Elvish Champion
4 Imperious Perfect
2 Ezuri, Renegade Leader
2 Joraga Warcaller

3 Lead the Stampede or 3 Elvish Visionary
3 Descendents Path

16 Forests
2 Oran Rief the Vastwood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AAron G
United States
Tallmadge
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you guys are way too awesome, I love all the advice. Ill post the cards that Im gonna get today sometime....I should throw an elf party or something for you all. I assume it will look something like this:

but according to WofTC it looks more like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been designing an elf deck for months. First I got all the elf cards I had and stuck them in a deck, and it really sucked. So I read many articles, such as this one:

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/casual-related-f...

and realised that just having the word "Elf" everywhere didn't make a good deck. Eventually I realised that given a deck based on Llanowar Elves (tap for one green mana), I was designing a deck which could generate more mana than it needed. For it to be a good deck, it needed to do that for a reason. I thought about using the mana to fund bigger elves, e.g. Nath's Elite, but my biggest concern was that although I had mana to play everything I drew, I wasn't drawing anything good - mostly just more forests or more Llanowar Elves. As I see it, I could have gone two ways:

* use the mana to do something big, and build a Sligh Mono Green Ramp sort of deck where I cranked out weenies and then finished off with some big explosions

* use the mana generation of the Llanowar Elves (and Elvish Mystics) to decrease the number of lands in the deck, in the style of a Lowland Stompy. Then as I'm rarely drawing a land, I've always got a new thing to do.

I chose the second way, and I've sort of got it working. Ideally I'd have Quirion Rangers in my deck, but as it is I'm running 10 forests, 4 Llanowar Elves, 4 Elvish Mystics, a couple of Harrow, Elvish Guidance, Giant Growth, etc, so I can get a decent line-up of elves, a good supply of mana, and some instants to occasionally do some hard-hitting. Elvish Visionary helps get me more cards in hand so I can do more stuff.

"So the deck works by using elves that to generate mana so it can run fewer lands and get more elves out."

Another very good article I read said that if you can't explain how your deck works like I just did in the quotes, then you won't know how to build it or how to play it. Hence I recommend rather than just thinking "elves" and buying cards, that you get a plan and find the cards you need to implement it.

Of course, that's much easier said than done - it has taken my 6 months to get to where I am. Seeing how Quirion Ranger works in a Lowland Stompy was a real enlightenment for me. Although I think I can pretty much work green and white, I'm yet to really try a blue, red or black deck and I would approach those colours by starting with some pretty cards and wondering what might work for them. However I would hope to eventually converge on a razor-sharp plan and then see if I can find the cards to implement it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AAron G
United States
Tallmadge
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the Link whistle

This is what I ended up with, my thought was to get cards that brought out elf token warriors, while getting +1/+1 tokens and mana rampers
hope it works out.

2 - Elvish Archdruid
3 - Elvish Visionary
1 - Wirewood Lodge
2 - Imperious Perfect
1 - Joraga Warcaller
4 - Thornweald Archer
2 - Wren's Run Vanquisher
2 - Elvish Promenade
1 - Wildslayer Elves
1 - Cylian Elf
2 - Talara's Battalion
4 - Keebler's tree house

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
A number of years ago I set myself a challenge to put together a deck that could win games for less than £10, for this I chose an elven burn deck.

(brief point about pricing: The FLGS I used to frequent at the time had a flat rate pricing structure; 5p for commons, 50p for uncommons and £2 for most rares.)

Here's what I came up with (cards came from the stores common box unless stated otherwise)

10 Forest
7 Mountain
4 Llanowar Elves
2 Llanowar Druid
4 Priest of Titania
4 Quirion Elves
4 Seeker of Skybreak
3 Skyshroud Elf
1 Wellwisher
2 Timberwatch Elf
1 Skyshroud Poacher (rare)

4 Giant Growth
2 Seal of Strength
3 Channel (uncommon)
2 Broken Fall
3 Fireball
1 Kaervek's Torch
4 Lava Burst

So, I was limited by the cards in the store (which wasn't a great selection, the pricing policy meant the good stuff got bought up quickly leaving the lesser cards in the folder) and I only took about 20 mins to build it, but it did win and performed better than I expected; when people complained about the Channels I would remove them and the deck would still do it's thing, just a few turns later. I'd imagine with a bit of time I would change a few cards, but I think it's a good start and cost me less than £7 on the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True_Dave wrote:
A number of years ago I set myself a challenge to put together a deck that could win games for less than £10, for this I chose an elven burn deck.

(brief point about pricing: The FLGS I used to frequent at the time had a flat rate pricing structure; 5p for commons, 50p for uncommons and £2 for most rares.)

Here's what I came up with (cards came from the stores common box unless stated otherwise)

10 Forest
7 Mountain
4 Llanowar Elves
2 Llanowar Druid
4 Priest of Titania
4 Quirion Elves
4 Seeker of Skybreak
3 Skyshroud Elf
1 Wellwisher
2 Timberwatch Elf
1 Skyshroud Poacher (rare)

4 Giant Growth
2 Seal of Strength
3 Channel (uncommon)
2 Broken Fall
3 Fireball
1 Kaervek's Torch
4 Lava Burst

So, I was limited by the cards in the store (which wasn't a great selection, the pricing policy meant the good stuff got bought up quickly leaving the lesser cards in the folder) and I only took about 20 mins to build it, but it did win and performed better than I expected; when people complained about the Channels I would remove them and the deck would still do it's thing, just a few turns later. I'd imagine with a bit of time I would change a few cards, but I think it's a good start and cost me less than £7 on the day.

Priest of Titania is a $20 card each...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, 5$ or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
sao123 wrote:
Priest of Titania is a $20 card each...

I just checked, and they're $2.99 - $3.99 on starcitygames, but I see your point. Like I said, it was years ago I put this deck together, I just assumed that commons didn't become that desirable.

That's a pretty good return on my 5p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
OP, I would definitely put Overrun in this deck:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiver...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.