badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

While the kids in the ad are using the vibrators as fantasy lightsabers, they would most likely recognize the significance of real-world guns and would be unlikely to engage in a duel or shoot-out with them.

Nonetheless, the ad's point is valid that kids are apt to explore and find things that you might not want them to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a pretty good PSA, and a reminder that owning a gun is as much a "responsibility" as it is a "right".

Isn't it standard practice to keep your guns in a locked safe? Although I don't personally own any guns (at this time), I am friends with no less than five individuals that own guns. All of them keep all of their firearms (and ammo and hunting knives and bows/arrows) in locked firesafes. They all have or once had young children in the house. I figured it was just standard operating procedures. I find it sad that we have to actually remind people to "be smart". Next thing you know, we will have a PSA reminding people not to leave their unattended children or pets in their vehicles (especially if the vehicle is running).

Who are these morons out there with children that don't lock up and secure their weapons? And why don't they? Really? Can you be so stupid?

(By the way, for those of you with children, you may want to consider locking your adult "toys" as well. Just to avoid potentially unwanted embarassment...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And while the ad is about gun safety, it is also a reminder that people should store their batteries in a separate place from their sex toys. It's all about responsible pleasure.

Holy fuck on a popsicle stick, is there a joke I can make that Jeeves won't kill with his inability to discern humor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

GameCrossing wrote:
And while the ad is about gun safety, it is also a reminder that people should store their batteries in a separate place from their sex toys. It's all about responsible pleasure.

Hmmmmm.... Would you have said the same thing if the two women in the ad had been depicted as a married -- or unmarried -- lesbian couple?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

GameCrossing wrote:

Hmmmmm.... Would you have said the same thing if the two women in the ad had been depicted as a married -- or unmarried -- lesbian couple?

Occasionally I fall in to the trap of just dismissing you as a mostly harmless crazy person, but you never fail to bring me back to the realization that while that is true, you're also a fucking asshole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

GameCrossing wrote:

The best thing I can say for you is that at least you didn't bring up Kolob yet again as you continue chasing after me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

While the kids in the ad are using the vibrators as fantasy lightsabers, they would most likely recognize the significance of real-world guns and would be unlikely to engage in a duel or shoot-out with them.

Nonetheless, the ad's point is valid that kids are apt to explore and find things that you might not want them to find.

This is quite possibly the most normal and reasonable thing I've ever heard you say, James. I'm not going to go full TheChin! just yet, but I feel like there is a normal person in there somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

This is quite possibly the most normal and reasonable thing I've very heard you say, James. I'm not going to go full TheChin! just yet, but I feel like there is a normal person in there somewhere.

Keep reading...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

This is quite possibly the most normal and reasonable thing I've ever heard you say, James. I'm not going to go full TheChin! just yet, but I feel like there is a normal person in there somewhere.

Keep reading...

That was the entirety of that comment from him. If I only considered the entire thread or forum contribution of a person before agreeing with them, there would be precious few people left in RSP I could talk to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

GameCrossing wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

The best thing I can say for you is that at least you didn't bring up Kolob yet again as you continue chasing after me.

But the worst thing is that that response of yours is yet another dodge to avoid a direct question much less an effort to avoid providing a direct, concise and umambiguous response to it.

Moreover, I can readily understand when you take such overtly evasive action to avoid answering a direct question why you'd feel like you're being "chased" -- You just can't run fast enough from those questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

djgutierrez77 wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Occasionally I fall in to the trap of just dismissing you as a mostly harmless crazy person, but you never fail to bring me back to the realization that while that is true, you're also a fucking asshole.

All personal feelings aside, your response represents the most wreckless evasive action imaginable and fails to even venture to answer the question in proper context on its own merits and/or demerits?

So what is your response to the exact question I posed above?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

djgutierrez77 wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

All personal feelings aside, your response represents the most wreckless evasive action imaginable and fails to even venture to answer the question in proper context on its own merits and/or demerits?

I don't see how it would matter if the women in the add were gay. Why do you assume that they aren't?

The only possible conclusion is that you are a homophobe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

GameCrossing wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

But the worst thing is that that response of yours is yet another dodge to avoid a direct question much less an effort to avoid providing a direct, concise and umambiguous response to it.

Moreover, I can readily understand when you take such overtly evasive action to avoid answering a direct question why you'd feel like you're being "chased" -- You just can't run fast enough from those questions!

ALERT READERS - PLEASE READ THIS DISCLAIMER!!!
This thread is about to turn into what a thread turns into when Jeeves gets involved. If you want to skip four pages and get a tidy summary of how it's gone, just go here. If you have masochistic tendencies or are reviewing this thread to see if it merits going on Tobias's Hall Of Fame, then read on. But don't say I didn't warn you.

Original post:

Oh... that was a serious question? See, I figured you would use your finely-honed skills at observing humor that you went on about in the Ann Coulter thread and...

Oh. Oh, I see. Yeah, that's my fault then. I should have recognized your inability to identify humor. So since you are posing your response to a joke as a serious question, I owe you an answer. Yes. I would have made a funny one-liner about sex toys regardless of the gender or sexual orientation of the owners.

Now you can sleep at night, secure that no humorous comment has snuck past your need to remove levity from anything and everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
I think it's a pretty good PSA, and a reminder that owning a gun is as much a "responsibility" as it is a "right".

Isn't it standard practice to keep your guns in a locked safe? Although I don't personally own any guns (at this time), I am friends with no less than five individuals that own guns. All of them keep all of their firearms (and ammo and hunting knives and bows/arrows) in locked firesafes. They all have or once had young children in the house. I figured it was just standard operating procedures. I find it sad that we have to actually remind people to "be smart". Next thing you know, we will have a PSA reminding people not to leave their unattended children or pets in their vehicles (especially if the vehicle is running).

Who are these morons out there with children that don't lock up and secure their weapons? And why don't they? Really? Can you be so stupid?

(By the way, for those of you with children, you may want to consider locking your adult "toys" as well. Just to avoid potentially unwanted embarassment...)

I think you'd be surprised how many people still leave a gun in the night stand or under their pillow or in a shoe box up in the closet. My father, being one of them (not now, but when I was growing up, so merely one generation ago).

Anyway, I'm sure it happens a lot. Especially in rural areas.

One of my guns is in a safe and the other one is in a closed bag with a trigger lock, because I haven't gotten a safe for it yet.

Which reminds me, can anybody recommend a good, small safe for just 1-2 (maybe 3, tops) rifles? Ideally it would bolt into the corner of the closet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

qzhdad wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

I don't see how it would matter if the women in the add were gay. Why do you assume that they aren't?

I don't. Indeed, my "What if...?" question above to GameCrossing underscored the possibility that they could have been a lesbian couple.

But you should not assume that it wouldn't matter to others if the two women in the ad were a lesbian couple. After all, there are many Republicans of the rightwing fundamentalist-Christian extremist mold who believe that LGBT folks (Christian and non-Christian alike) and Christians who support gay rights don't have the same Constitutional Rights as they do because by their reckoning, LGBT folks (Christian and non-Christian alike) and Christians who support gay rights don't qualify to be True Christians in their eyes. What's more, their interpretation of the Constitution is that such rights are afforded only to their definition of True Christians.

qzhdad wrote:
The only possible conclusion is that you are a homophobe.

Back in 1992, the Republican Party tried to revive the old racist 1988 "Willie" Horton issue only to have James Carville toss it right back in their faces in such a defiant way that it must have seemed like the Hindenburg blowing up in their faces, so crestfallen and shaken were they by Carville's response: "If Willie Horton had impregnated the white woman he raped, would you Republicans still have denied her the right to an abortion?"

Now, if the two Republicans on the panel had been consistent, they would have stood by their Republican Party platform plank that excludes rape as an exception to be made for abortion and said as much. Instead, they faltered and didn't deign to respond, thereby giving the impression by their silence that "Yes, there might be indeed an exception to be made for rape, but only in cases where the pregnancy would result in a mixed-race child (miscegenation)."

So, my intent was similar: It shouldn't make any difference whether the female couple was lesbian or not. *However,* at the same time, if one had a prejudice toward LGBT folks, then it would likely constitute a meaningful difference to them, although they -- like the two aforementioned Republican panelists above -- would probably be more likely to simply dodge my question rather than to straightforwardly admit as much.

Which, I might note, some have already done quite demonstrably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
The situation in the ad is more common than people think. A couple of little girls I know have a mother that is not exactly careful with her toys (Has a Hitachi plugged in on top of the nightstand), and other young girls in their neighborhood have been banned from entering the house by their mothers. Many missourians aren't happy when a 6 year old girl comes home and says: Mom, XXXX showed me her mother's dildo.

Still, less worrying than the time said girls go visit their grandparents, and found a couple of handguns and an AR-15 lying on the floor. But don't go ask Grandpa about gun safety, because he is still afraid that Charlie might come after him at any time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

If you watch the news at all, virtually every week there is a story about a kid shooting themselves or someone else with a gun that they were able to get a hold of due to a lack of security in storing it. This would suggest that, sadly, there are scads of people out there who might benefit from hearing this type of message and who are indeed that stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lightsabers?

After an incident at a BBQ several years ago where one friend's daughter got into the nightstand of the friend who was hosting, we now call these devices "microphones" around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

GameCrossing wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Oh... that was a serious question? See, I figured you would use your finely-honed skills at observing humor that you went on about in the Ann Coulter thread and....

Oh. Oh, I see. Yeah, that's my fault then. I should have recognized your inability to identify humor. So since you are posing your response to a joke as a serious question, I owe you an answer. Yes. I would have made a funny one-liner about sex toys regardless of the gender or sexual orientation of the owners.

Now you can sleep at night, secure that no humorous comment has snuck past your need to remove levity from anything and everything.

Whereas you shouldn't be able to sleep nights, seeing as how you've yet again chosen to dodge my exact "What if...?" scenario question.

Instead, your response this time applies to the ad as it is, NOT as per the "What If...?" scenario of my exact question: Would you have said the same thing -- that by hiding their sex toys, the two women would have been practicing responsible pleasure -- if the two women in the ad had been depicted as a married -- or unmarried -- lesbian couple?

So, please provide a direct, unequivocable, and unambiguous response to my exact "What If...?" scenario question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SabreRedleg wrote:
Lightsabers?

After an incident at a BBQ several years ago where one friend's daughter got into the nightstand of the friend who was hosting, we now call these devices "microphones" around here.

American I-diddle?

Oh wait... I suppose I now have to clarify whether the daughter in question is a lesbian or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

GameCrossing wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Oh... that was a serious question? See, I figured you would use your finely-honed skills at observing humor that you went on about in the Ann Coulter thread and....

Whereas you shouldn't be able to sleep nights, seeing as how you've yet again chosen to dodge my exact "What if...?" scenario question.

Instead, your response this time applies to the ad as it is, NOT as per the "What If...?" scenario of my exact question: Would you have said the same thing -- that by hiding their sex toys, the two women would have been practicing responsible pleasure -- if the two women in the ad had been depicted as a married -- or unmarried -- lesbian couple?

So, please provide a direct, unequivocable, and unambiguous response to my exact "What If...?" scenario question.

Uh...

GameCrossing wrote:
Yes. I would have made a funny one-liner about sex toys regardless of the gender or sexual orientation of the owners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

lfisher wrote:

Is that the latest successor to the Republican dodge response of "I'm not a scientist!"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

GameCrossing wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

See if you can find the part of my post where I answered your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.