Subject: Zephyros overpowered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott W
United Kingdom
Scotland
flag msg tools
mb
I've played several games in which Zephyros has become available to buy and he has literally never lost a fight in the arena yet. His attack and speed dice are essentially ablative wounds and wounds he causes through his defence dice cannot be blocked. Give him armour and things get even more ridiculous. Don't you think so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
all promos are overpowered, I simply do not play with them. they throw off game balance, make beginning gladiators completely useless, and the step up from starting gladiators useless too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
all promos are overpowered, I simply do not play with them. they throw off game balance, make beginning gladiators completely useless, and the step up from starting gladiators useless too.

Do you take out Spartacus, Gannicus, and Crixus too? Because the same could be said for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vanrydergames wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

Do you take out Spartacus, Gannicus, and Crixus too? Because the same could be said for them.

They are not diluting the deck the way added promos do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
vanrydergames wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

They are not diluting the deck the way added promos do.

I suppose that is fair. I only have two promos and also the expansion.

Honestly I think it is a failing of the other players at the table if one person has a clear gladiator strength advantage and they are EVER letting him in the arena except for when he is host. And they should be hitting him hard in other ways (intrigue etc.). But... this is Spartacus and easier said than done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott W
United Kingdom
Scotland
flag msg tools
mb
I agree with that in principle but in practice, if you have someone like Zephyros you can afford to forego bidding on other gladiators in order to bid more on the Host token. Other players are forced to replace the guys killed by your star gladiator whilst you are free to save money. Obviously, cards are the way to deal with the likes of Zephyros but if they don't appear when you need them, you have another arena phase to deal with...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manning
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I only have the base game, I found this to be true. I got Gannicus early on, just saved for the host, and slashed my way to victory in no time. We were playing a quick game (starting at 7), so there was little time for them to react. I thought about the "name" gladiators being too powerful, but it does stay in the spirit of the show

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed that the promo gladiators completely unbalance the game. They certainly should not be shuffled into the deck from the beginning.

Fixes include:
Not using at all
Only shuffling some or all into the deck once the game is well underway - like maybe players hitting 7-10 influence.

We also don't add Gannicus, Crixus, Theokeles, and Spartacus into the deck until part way through the game. Like maybe influence 4 or 6 if starting from 1.

Try whatever works for your group and keeps the game fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea to only shuffle them in after 2 rounds played.
Will probably try this as a house rule.

p.s.: I am looking for 3 of the english promos, trading for 3 of the germans (or some money)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion for using promo gladiators would be to only shuffle one random one into the deck for each game you play. That adds some unpredictability without diluting the gladiator pool in any meaningful way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C
msg tools
I still find Zephyros more overpowered than any of the other promo gladiators, and don't see the point of including him. It's basically a free pass to victory in the arena. I've never seen him beaten even with tooled up good opponents. At least with Spartacus, Gannicus & the other top level ones I've seen them beaten at some point. The only guy that stands a chance is the Doctore, even then he's at a disadvantage. There should never be a gladiator where only one other fighter has a chance to beat him.

It also makes me wish the creators would add in more medium level gladiators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.