Subject: English Translation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Hahn
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happened to be in Germany recently and was able to pick up the German version of Der Sternenschild since there is no movement on an English publication from FFG. Sadly I am not a German speaker and figured/hoped someone from the BGG community would have done a translation. There doesn't appear to be on in the files section but does anyone know of an English translation out there.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d Michel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did an English translation of the rules and card text, but wasn't sure about posting the translated cards since I figured they could be pirated and that would kill sales for Kosmos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great! Honestly, I don't see how it could negatively affect their sales. People publish rules translations even for language-independent games all the time on BGG and no-one minds. If anything, this should increase their sales, because it will make it possible for those of us who don't speak German to buy the German edition (I probably will). But if you still feel hesitant to post it, would you please e-mail it to me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, please please please please please post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d Michel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. When I translated the cards I did it directly onto Andor card blanks and duplicated the fonts and formatting, and images, and the files are huge. I will try to pull the text off the cards and post a word document with all the card text, as well as a translation of the rule book. I imagine a good deal of the formatting will be lost in the process. I can only work on this for a few hours in the evening so it will take a couple of days to finish and then I'll post it in the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just post them as they are. Or if you're worried about posting them, share them via googledrive or something

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice to have both formats. Also, you can save the images as jpegs and adjust the compression until you get an acceptable size for BGG. And/or you can use a file sharing service, as Richard suggested. It would be a shame for us not to have access to the "pretty" version. How huge (in megabytes) are we talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d Michel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The file is really large, we are talking gigs in size because I basically built all the text into an image file in CS2. Also since this is something that FFG might hold the rights to, they might not appreciate me publishing the actual cards. I am about 3/4 of the way through extracting the text and removing the most glaring artifacts from the conversion process, so probably one more day. In the meantime I just uploaded the translation of the rules sheet so that should be available by tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dearolddad wrote:
Also since this is something that FFG might hold the rights to, they might not appreciate me publishing the actual cards.

Maybe you could ask? It might be a great way to force them to unleash some info regarding whether they intend to publish this in the future or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d Michel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll let the files sit here for a little first, in case they hit me with a cease and desist. Card text files uploaded tonight, so should be available for everyone's weekend game nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Hou Nielsen
Denmark
Randers
MJ
flag msg tools
Hi

Did you post your translation of "Die Legneden von Andor: Der Sternenschild"? Because I can't seem to find the files anywhere on bgg.

best regards Kenneth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Binder
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dearolddad wrote:
I'll let the files sit here for a little first, in case they hit me with a cease and desist. Card text files uploaded tonight, so should be available for everyone's weekend game nights.

Hi,

I am in the same situation, I have a german edition. Did you post the files somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d Michel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they are in the files section at the bottom of the page Legends of Andor: The Star Shield
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.