Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
***If you don't want to read the long post, scroll down until you see the red text***

So I played in an OP event on Wednesday, and thanks to my good buddy Rich, I was nominated as the "rule guy" for the tournament.

OK, no biggie. Most of the questions were easy, but one play made me stop and think. I gave my logic and it seemed to pacify both players, but wanted to post it here with rule back-ups to support my "hip-shot" ruling.

Scenario:
Player 1 has the following:
1 Level 3 Green Goblin-"Gobby" in the Field Zone which has"when fielded, Green Goblin deals 1 damage to your opponent for each sidekick in the field (count your Sidekicks only)"
3 Sidekicks in the Field Zone.
1 Mask energy in Reserve Pool.

The Following Globals are Available:
Magneto-Holocaust Survivor card is on the board which has the global ability: "Pay 1 Mask to reroll a Villain die."

The Play:
Player 1 pays 1 Mask to reroll his own Gobby on Player 2's turn. The die lands on a character face. Player 1 returns the die to the Field Zone and states that Player 2 must take 3 damage because Gobby was just "Fielded" again and he has 3 Sidekicks. Player 2 does not agree and states that Gobby was not "re-Fielded".

My "Hip-Shot" Ruling:
No, Green Goblin does not get his "When Fielded" ability again because he did not move from the Reserve Pool to the Field, thus he was not "Fielded".

So I went back through the rules the day after and here is the backup that I believe justifies my ruling:

The game effect in question is a "when Fielded" ability. When does this trigger?
FAQ Page 3 & 4 under 'Q: Please Explain "When Fielded" Effects.'
A: “When fielded” effects trigger at the time that a player moves that character into their Field Zone. In most instances, this occurs when a player pays a character’s fielding cost and moves the character from their Reserve Pool to their Field Zone...Some game effects will allow characters to be fielded in a more non-traditional fashion—such as Gambit Le Diable Blanc. If a character would be fielded from Gambit Le Diable Blanc’s ability, any “when fielded” effects on those characters would trigger.

OK, so when is a character considered to be "Fielded"?
Rule Book Page 20 Active and Fielded states:
The term “when you field (name)” refers to the moment you send a character die from your reserve pool to the field. It does not refer to assigning the die to attack, since the attack zone is still considered part of the field. Likewise, “when you field (name)” does not refer to characters returning to the field from the attack zone, nor does it refer to moving a captured or controlled die from your opponent’s field to yours.

So what is the process to Field a character?
Rule Book Page 7 under Field Characters states:
It costs energy for you to send your character dice from your reserve pool to the field, though in some cases, that cost is zero...
NOTE: Gambit-Le Diable Blanc is an exception to this and it is specifically stated on the card to Field characters rolled by his ability.

OK so the Gobby did not encounter any of these, so lets's look at rerolls.

Rule Book Page 21 under Rerolling Dice states:
Many powers allow you to “reroll” a die. When you reroll a die, it stays in the same area it was in unless (a) otherwise specified by the card text for the resulting face, or (b) it’s in a location that the die face cannot be (for example, an energy result in the field). If the die face cannot be in the specified location and its fate is not specified in the card text, move the die to the reserve pool. THERE IT IS! Rerolling does not remove it from the Field unless an energy is rolled, then, as energy cannot be a Fielded die, it falls under "B" as written above and is moved to the Reserve Pool

Later during a break in the tournament, I was asked if Player 1 had rolled an energy, could they have targeted the Gobby die with Magneto's global again?

My Ruling:
Nope. The die is no longer a legal target.

Here is the backup that justifies the ruling:
Rule Book Page 19 under Fundamental Rules states:
Unless otherwise stated, game effects can only target character dice that are in the field. i.e. Not a legal target unless the card states otherwise.

Just thought I would share in case this comes up in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with this very thorough ruling and would have ruled the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything that can be interpreted in a way to nerf Gobby is okay by me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
Anything that can be interpreted in a way to nerf Gobby is okay by me.
LMFAO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all of your rulings and interpretations, though I feel you went far more into it than you had to. Re-rolling a die is not fielding a character, period. There is only two instances in which a character is fielded:

1) When you move a die from the reserve pool to the field by paying the die's cost during your main phase.
2) When another effect specifically says to "field" a character.

I really don't think you need to look any further than the definition of fielding a character to determine if the "when fielded" ability kicks in.

But kudos, for being thorough! And double kudos for verifying your rulings afterward. Geekgold for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Watkins

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
has anyone figured out if rally counts as fielding as it states move to field vs field sk? If so, HT + Gobby + Rally = GG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't believe so, no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ledzhedz wrote:
has anyone figured out if rally counts as fielding as it states move to field vs field sk? If so, HT + Gobby + Rally = GG

Rally does not field them for purposes of Human torch. If it said "Field 3 sidekicks from your used pile." Then it would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.