BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Bill Maher rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Just watching his program and eye rolling ensued. He seems convinced that pharma is completely EVIL and isn't developing antibotics and so we're ALL GOING TO DIE. I guess he's not been reading much lately.

Apparently, not even the NY Times, which presumably he consumes as a liberal:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/05/health/single-dose-of-anti...

MRSA is one of the most awful infections you can get. I've known people who get them chronically. It's crippling to holding down a job, etc. This development is amazing for them.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidkroll/2014/06/20/antibiotic...

Yet another story from this month.

At least one article suggested there has been a new approval of a new antibiotic treatment every three years at least.

So is pharma SO EVIL? They aren't big tobacco. Maybe save the vitriol? Who do you think is going to do this? Government? Academia? Please excuse me while I go laugh around the corner.

Edit: By all means, suggest policy improvements. But his piece was not much more than a screed about corporate America.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Maher irritates me and seems smarmy and smug and like he's not even listening any more.

I like John Oliver.
He seems humorous and clever (or at least has clever writers and an entertaining presentation).

I thought BM was supposed to be libertarian.

Maybe he's an irritating hybrid of some kind.

Buzzin like a cheap speaker right now. Trying out "Defiant" tonight. Not bad. Actually entertaining a few times so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Good vs evil resonates with a lot of people, regardless of political affiliation. There are cases that are that clear cut, but not pharma: If anything, pharma is a problem of incentives.

Maher seems to get more things right than your random right wing commentator, but I believe it has little to do with good argumentation, or good thought: It seems that it's by coincidence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
Maher seems to get more things right than your random right wing commentator, but I believe it has little to do with good argumentation, or good thought: It seems that it's by coincidence.

To me, it's because the random right wing commentator uses such shitty logic and argumentation, it's easy to pick apart. It doesn't mean his simplistic solutions are good, just that they punch holes in the arguments others put up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a very conservative person in just about every facet of life. However, I can still "get" intelligent satire and commentary from some celebrities (John Stewart and Stephen Colbert come to mind) with more liberal points-of-view. Sometimes, I even have a level of agreement with them and can understand their message and I always appreciate their wit.

Bill Maher is nothing more than a self-important DB who spews unintelligent vitriol. I'll throw Joy Behar into that category, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Maher appears to subscribe to antivaccinationism, too, so at least he's consistent. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Honestly, every time I've tried watching something by Bill Maher I've quit in under 2 minutes. It's not even anything to do with his viewpoints(which aren't even that well-formed and essentially seem to be an excuse to shout at people) - it's his personality. He gets so much joy from being a complete dickhole that it just makes me feel sick.
In essence, Bill Maher is one of those people that makes me ashamed of being a part of the same species as him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"...we're sick of you. My advice to Hillary -– just go away." -- Bill Maher
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
sikeospi wrote:
"...we're sick of you. My advice to Hillary -– just go away." -- Bill Maher

So what was the context? These hit and run posts aren't exactly illuminating. I am frustrated with this guy nearly every broadcast, but it's hard to put a context on it when you get what you pasted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
galad2003 wrote:
Bill Maher is right wing?! Holy fuck. He is such a smarmy self righteous asshat I always assumed he was a leftie. I have never been able to sit through his schtick for more than 3 minutes so really I have no idea.

WTF, dude? Was this post because I said I disgreed with him and because I'm a lefty, that must make him a righty? Guess what? We aren't all simpletons toeing the party line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
galad2003 wrote:

Nothing I said had shit to do with what you said She but glad I could spin your gears up.

Okay good. That's pretty much what I expect from you. You're a complete asshole as far as I can tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess than from now one, I will have to have my 5 year old read my posts. If he doesn't call me a moron for making the post too easy to follow, I will keep simplifying things.

Obama is as good at rock-paper-scissors as your average bikini model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Bill Maher and find him very entertaining.
I just ignore anything he says that has anything remotely to do with science. It's embarrasing to hear him talk about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linoleum blownaparte
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
A BILL MAHER HAIKU

Dumb hair on huge douche?
Brash and willful ignorance?
He's our Donald Trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smug smarmy smiling
not listening any more
right or left who cares?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Maher is the worst.

See, who says we can't agree on anything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
Loud-mouthed know-it-all
Says what no one wants to hear
Shouts into the void

The name: Bender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:
Bill Maher is the worst.

See, who says we can't agree on anything?

Put him on the very short list of stuff RSP agrees on:

Ethanol subsidies are dumb
NSA should get a warrant if they want to read my email
Bill Maher is the worst
The TSA are a joke
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.