Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello chit chat!

After cleaning up some neighbor dog's poop off my lawn tonight again*, I decided to post a sign on the nearby light post:

CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR DOG
OR I WILL POOP ON YOUR LAWN

Tomorrow I'm leaving on a week long camping trip, so this could horribly backfire. Which will of course demand escalation.

Suggestions?

* I'm not sure which neighbor at this point. We live on a corner in a fairly small neighborhood, so basically anyone who walks their dog goes past our house. Judging from the evidence, it's a rather large dog, but we're not home for most of the day and can't really monitor what goes on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a dump on everyone's lawn to be sure you punish the guilty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spray some pepper extract on the perimeter of your yard from the edge to about 2 yards in and no dogs will wander on your yard to crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Lets go Jets! Lets go Celts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't believe the "evidence" small dogs take massive 'treats' as well. I would tell you how it is dealt with in the "country" but that would lead to issues. I did have a similar problem when I lived in the city, but a few trips in the front yard talking to myself loudly while carrying a sword and not wearing a shirt seemed to solve the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every morning the German shepherd from down the block does his business on my front lawn.

Sometimes he brings his dog along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SabreRedleg wrote:
so this could horribly backfire.

If I'm the guy who's letting his dog poop on your lawn, then a night or two after I see your sign, I stealth-poop on your neighbor's lawn, and sit back and enjoy the show.

As you can imagine, there's no reasoning with these people; you just have to commit to a few days in a shallow hole in your lawn with a snorkel + periscope + machete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Build a 12' stone fence on your perimeter.

For God's sake, this is WAR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dogs often sniff around the same spot. You could dust the area with ground pepper.

But, really, this is the owner's problem, not the dog's.

Rent or borrow a motion detecting camera/game camera. Then consider dropping a picture of the deed in their mailbox. If it happens again, add the 'evidence' to the picture.

Decades ago, we had a similar problem with a neighbor. I wrote a short note on a paper plate, put the 'evidence' on the plate, then, set it on the hood of his car.

The note said; "Next time, no plate"

never had an issue after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
Take a dump on everyone's lawn to be sure you punish the guilty.

"Poop on them all, and let God sort it out"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
I came into this thread thinking that I would have loads of advice. Poop? Finally, something I know a lot about.

You could always exact revenge by making cookies with my hot pepper flakes. That way everyone's poop will burn. I'd be glad to help out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
BB gun when the dog squats?

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Motion detector hooked up to the sprinkler system?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My dogs only go out in the fenced back yard for a short time. Something has chased all the other free roaming dogs away. A skunk charged at me while I was getting the newspaper one morning. I think I may need a sidearm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always found that when training a dog not to poop somewhere, rubbing his nose in it worked well to avoid that problem in the future.

Trying rubbing the owners nose in it and see what happens. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
Motion detector hooked up to the sprinkler system?

Here you go, motion activated sprinkler.
http://www.amazon.com/Contech-CRO101-Scarecrow-Activated-Spr...

Caution: May not be an effective Pope deterrent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Leave meat by the spot, dosed with exlax.
Dog squirts are the worst!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:

Please don't do this. Judging from OP's post, several people walk by with dogs, most of which are probably responsible dog owners who do clean up after their pets. You don't want to punish an innocent person/animal because of the actions of one irresponsible person!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sunkencheerio wrote:
Phil of Mars wrote:

Please don't do this. Judging from OP's post, several people walk by with dogs, most of which are probably responsible dog owners who do clean up after their pets. You don't want to punish an innocent person/animal because of the actions of one irresponsible person!

Please don't do it at all. As someone stated earlier in the thread, this is an owner problem, not the dogs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mutton javelin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja
you need one of theseninja

but seriously, the neighbor may be some distance away. I had a neighbor on an intersection down the street, they had dogs on their lawn all the time. If you found out who it was you could escalate the situation to the appropriate levels etc.

a motion sensor-sprayer combo may be the thing as others have mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Real world response: I like the pepper extract deterrent suggestion. It's not confrontational and doesn't transfer the title of neighborhood a$$hole from the clueless dog owner to you.

Chit Chat response: Adopt a grizzly bear as your "household pet". Keep him on a very long chain in the front yard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there may also be some motion-activated ultrasonic deterrents or citrus sprays or w'ever - maybe search among the higher-rated solutions listed at Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
dogs often sniff around the same spot. You could dust the area with ground pepper.

Rent or borrow a motion detecting camera/game camera. Then consider dropping a picture of the deed in their mailbox. If it happens again, add the 'evidence' to the picture.

Decades ago, we had a similar problem with a neighbor. I wrote a short note on a paper plate, put the 'evidence' on the plate, then, set it on the hood of his car.

AWESOME!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
An automated active defense is far too likely to react at the wrong time to the wrong target. You might come back from your vacation in handcuffs.

Pepper, cameras, plenty of storage for the images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
1 Lucky Texan wrote:

AWESOME!!

As a letter carrier I would advise you to be careful what you do in and around a mailbox.

Mailboxes are considered federal property, and federal law (Title 18, United States Code, Section 1705), makes it a crime to vandalize them (or to injure, deface or destroy any mail deposited in them). Violators can be fined up to $250,000, or imprisoned for up to three years, for each act of vandalism.

I don't know if dog feces would be considered vandalizing a box, but I know I wouldn't want to be the one to find out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Also this case might be of interest.

Don't mess with the mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.