Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lloyd Butler
Australia
Bundaberg
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question in relation to purchasing of the single victory point cards in Step 2 - "Purchase a card by subtracting Holy / Unholy Points from one soul in play".

The official rulebook states that you may spend these points to gain a Sin / Intercession card or a Holy / Unholy Relic Card. It doesn't mention anything about the ability to purchase the single victory point cards. However, on the official website it seems to have rectified this "Once you or your team has one or more holy or unholy points on a soul in play you may spend these points to gain a victory point card, a sin/intercession card or a holy/unholy relic card."

So, stay with me here...and knowing you may only purchase one card per turn.

I was in an odd situation where my opponent had the Holy Relic - Blessed Thurible, which "once per turn it can reset a single soul in play with 1 unholy point to neutral" and I had a devil that automatically gave a soul in play +1 unholy point.

We were both getting poor cards and I found myself adding 1 unholy point to a soul with my devil (step 1) and then purchasing a single victory point card with that unholy point (step 2) to prevent my opponent from using their ability with the Blessed Thurible. This seemed counter productive but actually won me the game due to these victory point cards....

So, is this play by the rules? And if so what happens when the single VP cards run out? Is that it, or do you just keep track of the potential points that you could have had.

If you have no single VP cards left what happens if you want to play a pair or purchase one from a soul in your possession?

Clarification would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MaverickAU wrote:
I found myself adding 1 unholy point to a soul with my devil (step 1) and then purchasing a single victory point card with that unholy point (step 2) to prevent my opponent from using their ability with the Blessed Thurible.

Not quite sure that I follow, Lloyd - if intentionally resetting the Soul to neutral, then aren't you just giving your opponent an open door to influence it during their turn/step 3?

As you note, there is nothing in the rules that allow purchase of a VP card with points (you need a pair) - perhaps the website is out of date (link?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:

As you note, there is nothing in the rules that allow purchase of a VP card with points (you need a pair) - perhaps the website is out of date (link?).

This.

The only way to get 1vp cards is playing a pair from your hand. They can't be bought with holy/unholy pts. They also go into the discard pile and clog your hand in future turns.

I believe you got that info from the rule's first draft posted by the designer, but I think it's outdated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
MaverickAU wrote:
I have a question in relation to purchasing of the single victory point cards in Step 2 - "Purchase a card by subtracting Holy / Unholy Points from one soul in play".

The official rulebook states that you may spend these points to gain a Sin / Intercession card or a Holy / Unholy Relic Card. It doesn't mention anything about the ability to purchase the single victory point cards. However, on the official website it seems to have rectified this "Once you or your team has one or more holy or unholy points on a soul in play you may spend these points to gain a victory point card, a sin/intercession card or a holy/unholy relic card."

So, stay with me here...and knowing you may only purchase one card per turn.

I was in an odd situation where my opponent had the Holy Relic - Blessed Thurible, which "once per turn it can reset a single soul in play with 1 unholy point to neutral" and I had a devil that automatically gave a soul in play +1 unholy point.

We were both getting poor cards and I found myself adding 1 unholy point to a soul with my devil (step 1) and then purchasing a single victory point card with that unholy point (step 2) to prevent my opponent from using their ability with the Blessed Thurible. This seemed counter productive but actually won me the game due to these victory point cards....

So, is this play by the rules? And if so what happens when the single VP cards run out? Is that it, or do you just keep track of the potential points that you could have had.

If you have no single VP cards left what happens if you want to play a pair or purchase one from a soul in your possession?

Clarification would be appreciated.

You cannot purchase VP cards, you may only earn them by playing a pair. There are 10 VP cards per player and they are a limited resource. So once you win all 10, you may not gain any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Butler
Australia
Bundaberg
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing this up Robert. I did however get this rule from your site:

http://www.robertburkegames.com/2012/07/battle-for-souls-rul...

2. Purchase card(s) by subtracting holy or unholy points from souls in play to pay their cost
Once you or your team has one or more holy or unholy points on a soul in play you may spend these points to gain a victory point card, a sin/intercession card or a holy/unholy relic card. For each holy or unholy point spent you must move the marker on the soul card toward the middle one tick. You can only move a marker until it reaches the grey neutral space on the soul card.

You may want to update this!

EDIT: I see this is the draft rules.... I blame Google!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.