Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I usually avoid any sort of expansion games, and have not even dabbled in miniatures at all, I broke down and got the starter set for X-Wing.

Now I wonder what I should get next. I am likely to be playing in two situation.
1. Using what I own and playing with another play, with me probably teaching the game.
2. Playing at a game club with everyone bringing their own ships.

I also don't know if I would be interested in the Epic format.

All advice read, but not necessarily followed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Clearihue
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get another Core Set. You'll accomplish a few things that will satisfy your needs as you listed them.

First, it's a cost-effective way to double your forces. For teaching the game with a new player, you'll have enough to make a more interesting game for an X vs TIE battle.

For pickup games where people are playing at the 100 point standard, you're well on your way to getting there.

As well, you'll now have enough dice to deal with any kind of attack/defend roll that could come up in your regular play with those 2 Cores.

Now, at this point, if you're thinking about that 100pt squad size and want to get to it on a budget, you can take your 2 X-Wings, and bolster them with a Falcon, or 2 X-Wing packs. The 2 X-Wings will probably cost less, and then you've got the materials to make a solid 4 X-Wing build.

That last part is going to come down to your own vision for how your interest in the game will manifest. There's a lot to play with here, so once you've got that basic 4 X-Wing build, I would just start buying models you like and take it from there. You won't be pressed for ships to fly at a competitive level with your 4X deal, so you can work at your own pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a web=based applet for playing solo too. I have found it really handy for practicing without an opponent.

x-wing ai applet

Scroll to the end of the thread for the latest build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with
1. first core set
2. second core set
3. Y-Wing and TIE Advanced
4. TIE Bomber and B-Wing
5. Falcon and Imperial Aces.

I really recommend a second core set, then a small ship that you are interested in for each side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Clark
Scotland
Aberdeen
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a start I would go with rebel, 2 B-wings, 1 X-Wing expansions.
This will give you a couple of competitive rebel builds to take to the game club.

For teaching and practice i would go with:

1 Imperial Aces
1 Interceptor
2 Tie

This will give you a good start at a swarm for imperial, you will have 4 Ties and 3 interceptors.

Then if your getting into it

1-2 Slave
1 Falcon
1 Shuttle
1 more base set
The A-wing is ok but you do not need any more than two so i would wait for the Rebel aces to come out, then pick up a normal A-wing exp.
Some wave 4 stuff

If your really into it you can go for the poorer craft Y-wing, Tie advance and the Tie bomber. I would not bother as they are your typical 'quirky build' shelf warmers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tantive IV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.