Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
154 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: If you do, why do you actually prefer playing tabletop over video games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can evangelise about them, saying how sociable it is etc. All those usual arguments, but I can't actually define why I would rather play a board game over any video game out there. We've just picked up a Wii in my house, dirt cheap with a bunch of fun old games. My girlfriend wanted to play Mario Kart, along with my kids. But as she said last night, I really have no interest in playing it with them. I do play it, but it's never what I want to do. My GF will play most of my games with me, and that's a HUGELY bigger commitment to her than for me to play with her on her Wii.

Last night we played some Wii and then played Incan Gold. It was blatantly more fun playing Wii, I'm there battling to keep their attention once Incan Gold came out etc., and I'm struggling to remember that games are meant to be fun primarily and instead it's feeling like a chore of child management etc. Yet I still would have rather done that!

Why would I rather spend my time building canals in Northern England in Brass instead of have an *extremely* sociable time racing and throwing shells at my family on the big TV? It makes no sense to me when I try and think about it objectively!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Why do you actually prefer playing tabletop over video games?
Different skills. Boardgames such as the ones you mention allow and require planning and deliberation, which engages the mind. That is rewarding if you have learned to value engaging the mind, but not everyone really has. Mario Kart requires learning the how the game works, then after that it requires reflexes, basically a twitch response, and it gets the adrenaline flowing, which is a more primal reward. Not necessarily a worse or better activity, but fundamentally different even though both are classed as games. That adrenaline flow also makes starting Incan Gold AFTER playing Wii a perfect recipe for fidgety children, so no wonder if that seemed like a chore! Maybe try the other way around next time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Cennamo
Italy
Crispano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is,probably, just a matter of taste.As an ex-videogamer i find a big difference between the two kinds of game : videogames are a common choice among people who actually prefer to not focus so much about it,since videogames matches often lasts 5-10 minutes at most,while boardgames are more like an "impegnative "way to have fun (indeed,i often see the game "fall down" if somebody is NOT putting in it any sort of focus). It all depends from people to people: u will always choose the boardgame cause, probably, u rather prefer focus on a long last challenge than a quick-fun videogames.Always thought us boardgamers are a bit strange.. sorry for my bad english,im italian + typing from phone.Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have OOS and it started with a bad case of RSI (as it was) in the 90s. And I'm a writer who works on a computer all day. Board games are actually very different and Real Life activities while video is work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't. They scratch different itches. In certain moods I would rather play video games, in other moods I would rather play board games. Generally I prefer board games when I want a more social, but at the same time I might want to sit next to my opponent/ally while playing a split screen fps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Girven
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interaction with real people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way it engrosses my mind. The reason board gaming is my favorite hobby is that it is about the only thing I can do that allows me to completely stop thinking about work, finances, house work, checking my phone etc...

I also very much enjoy the social and tactile aspect of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Rouga
United States
Kunkletown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the player interaction, be it in game so just chatting and kidding around.

I find that with video games, the "other players" don't mean anything online since after you press the quit button you never interact with any of those people again so whats the point of being nice. Thats just the impression I get anyways and I know there are tons of exceptions but thats just my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer boardgames because

- they give me more of a mental challenge than most video games

- they are more transparent - I always know exactly how everything will be determined. In videogames it is often not that clear. If I put this button I will do some damage - but how much? How is the damage calculated exactly? How much is the kick slower than the punch?... I want to know all those things! I want to make decicions based on facts and knowledge.

- If I play a new boardgame against a player who is more experienced I can compensate it a bit by watching him how he plays and by taking some more time to plan my next move. In videogames this is usually not that easy - until I get a grasp how things play together I have no chance to win any more. I can't learn from others that much because I have to focus on my own play. I can't choose the tempo I'm comfortable with because it is either detemined by the game or by the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son has a Nintendo 3DS and when we got it, I thought I might buy some games for myself - things like Zelda, because that was my favourite game when I had my NES. We're now 1.5 years on and I've barely touched the 3DS because I'd rather play a boardgame, even solo if I must.

I think the main reason is that a board game relaxes me and that a video game doesn't. After a day of noise from all directions, I want something soothing, not a video game that blares at me.

Also, what I've found, when I play a boardgame, it doesn't punish me because I didn't pay attention for a split second. Most video games will beat you over the head and make you replay a level until you can time every jump perfectly. Boardgames don't do that. Sure, I may still lose, but I never have the feeling the boardgaem was made intentionally hard to make it seem last longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgames are varied and interesting. Videogames have become tedious, formulaic time-sinks.

I say that as a former videogame developer with 17 years experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I much prefer boardgames.

When video games first came out they were very exciting. I remember the fun of binging on pong, battlezone, mario, zelda etc. I would binge on a video game for a few weeks then stop for a few months.But I have been there, done that and got the T-shirt. Now I only play short, dumb video games to relax for a few minutes.

I have always found boardgames more fun, and mentally challenging. I find boardgames much better games. Video game designers usually concentrate on the visuals and not the game play. When playing a video game I am constantly disappointed at the poor game play. I also don't like not knowing how the game works beneath the surface. I don't like video games that reward good reflexes rather than thinking. I don't like fiddly video games that require you to click all over the place (where are the elegant video games). I guess the designers think that making you click a lot is the same thing as keeping your brain active and engaged. To me clicking is downtime.

Boardgames are better at developing friendships. Boardgames are better at challenging your mind. Face to face boardgames force you to leave your house and to put aside other activities for a while. Boardgames don't keep me up past midnight (though they did when I was younger).

Anyways boardgames rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GrandPop McPopenstrudel
msg tools
Fluxx wrote:
In videogames it is often not that clear. If I put this button I will do some damage - but how much? How is the damage calculated exactly? How much is the kick slower than the punch?... I want to know all those things! I want to make decicions based on facts and knowledge.

To be fair, that's all part of the learning curve of any action videogame, figuring out how best to exploit the control system you've been given to your advantage.

I indulge both hobbies for different reasons. What people may find interesting is that I don't play strategy videogames, turnbased or otherwise, despite there being a crossover between them and bgs. No, when I play vidyas it's all reaction/skill based - typically arcade shooters/beat 'em ups - where memorization and twitch reactions will get you far. I like all the hardcore bullet curtain shooters and tough arcade stuff.

My other hobby, boardgaming, seems to roll in the same way, I like all the rules heavy stuff like Mage Knight, ER etc.

The common result from these are satisfaction from depth of mechanics, replayability and appreciation of good game balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anker The m80 Hobbit
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do prefer tabletop over videogames when I am in the mood for it...

For me, it's a win-win. I like both arts very much.

One thing that sort of controls the platform if you will, is the
amount of time i have and what kind of social interaction I
foresee will come during the day.

I am choosing Defenders Of The Realm (boardgame), when i know i have
time on my hands and I know that my family will not require much
interaction.

I am almost always choosing a video game, when i know, that i will be
interrupted frequently during the day. It is that much easier to pick up
afterwards. But occasionally i will play a short table game (mostly cards and dice pnp).

But there is no feeling like beeing fully immerzed in a tabletop or a video rpg. It is just not the same feeling.

Cheers

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't, I prefer videogames . I have numerous issues with trying to play videogames with other people (too numerous to type from my phone), so when I want to be sociable, I resort to board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seal Bludgeoner
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Unless board games have an interpersonal element, I would say: play video games. Resistance, Dixit, and even Catan all promote interaction. MarioKart vs. any dry Euro will make people laugh. The main difference, I think, is speed. Strategy in a board game comes from your head, not your dexterity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't have to worry that the board games I've bought won't be backwards compatible when new video gaming consoles are released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Guest
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I don't. I don't prefer one over the other. They are different forms of entertainment and I like them both. They are different enough that it makes little sense to act which is preferred. Might as well ask if I like music or movies more, sleeping or eating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played video games for about 25+ years. Only played designer board games for like 3 years. As I get older I want to play board games more often then video games. I still play quite a bit of call of duty but would rather play games with some people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't ever rage quit board games. And I throw things way less often when I play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like board games for a few reasons. They don't replace video games for me, as video games are a fun activity that I still enjoy.

First, I like the tactile nature of board games. I like the boards and the pieces as physical objects I own that will last a long time if cared for properly. Many board games age well and will still look fine when pulled out years from now. Also, the vast majority of my video games are simply digital downloads on a service that could possibly disappear entirely.

Secondly, I like the social aspect. Sitting around the table and interacting with people, face-to-face, in a meaningful way means a lot. The decisions you make influence the other players and impact your dealings. Because of this, I generally enjoy games with player interaction and meaningful decisions. I realize that many video games offer something similar, but local co-op is something that nearly disappeared for a long time and is only now coming back into fashion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
girvatron wrote:
Interaction with real people

TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Last night we played some Wii and then played Incan Gold. It was blatantly more fun playing Wii, I'm there battling to keep their attention once Incan Gold came out etc., and I'm struggling to remember that games are meant to be fun primarily and instead it's feeling like a chore of child management etc. Yet I still would have rather done that!
It sounds like the interaction in the video game was better. There's nothing that says video games have to be less interactive than board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't make the kind of video games I like any more. I don't want to be a dude running around shooting things, and I don't want to be a spaceship flying around shooting things, and I don't want to be driving a car really fast. I don't want to time my platform jumps. I'm not really interested in increasing my dexterity and reaction time; I'll leave that to the drone pilots of the future.

If my board games were implemented as non-DRMed multiplayer video games on a common, portable platform, I'd sell my collection. It would even open up a few games for me that have bookkeeping that is complex enough to dampen the fun. I'm thinking about committing my savings to write a platform like that - it would mean that I could rent smaller apartments at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- you dont need electricity to play boardgames in day time

- all those mental arithmetic and manual game tracking and strategizing in your brain will stimulate your brain and it will be healthy to the old ages

- you can put boardgame boxes on your racks and let people admired them.. putting videogame boxes on your rack will get you laughed at

- it will last forever (or at least until the termites need some food)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
I'm primarily a video game player, so uh, I don't.

I pretty much prefer video game versions of real board games, in fact. Board games are cool when you have friends over, but I live on the wrong side of the US from all my best friends, and adult life being what it is, I don't really have the time to form new, adequately deep friendships with enough people to make board games a superior pastime. Where with video games, I can play with my friends when schedules and 3 hour time differences permit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.