Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Passick
United States
Charlotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every so often I start thinking of adding this to my collection before shying away at the potential cost. Here's the thing. If I do get into it, the main goal is to play it in either in teams of 2 or a 3 vs 2 game.
With that in mind what should be my goal for a start up collection? Obviously the starter set would be a part of it and I'd more than likely pick up the Millennium Falcon and Slave 1 expansions. Outside of that what would make for a good selection? How many small ships should I get? Any favorites that really improve the game? Gimmie some tips folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
The best start is probably with the earlier expansions. These are the classic Star Wars ships that everyone knows. Getting one of each expansion (TIE Fighter, X Wing, Y Wing, TIE Advanced, A Wing, Interceptor, Bomber and B Wing) alongside a Core Set is really going to give you tons of options. Organize with the other players about them getting some expansions too.
Get the ships you are interested in the most like the Falcon and Slave as you really need only one each of these in your whole collection. If each of the players bought just 2 or 3 expansions then together you would have a great mutual collection.
The earlier expansions are a little more "user friendly" with Pilot abilities that are easy to understand how these work like Darth Vader and Wedge Antilles. The more recent expansions have some more challenging interpretations and very conditional effects so may be confusing if you haven't started to play with the earlier ships and understand the game mechanics.
Give yourself a "budget" that you are happy to stick to, then buy double that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christensen
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is what I just purchased last week. I too am looking at running some 2v2 games.

2 X-Wing Core Set
1 Millennium Falcon Expansion Pack
1 Slave I Expansion Pack
1 TIE Advanced Expansion Pack
1 Y-Wing Expansion Pack
1 TIE Fighter Expansion Pack
1 X-Wing Expansion Pack
1 36" x 36" black felt

Already I'm feeling the itch to get some new ships, but I'm trying to pace myself. I'll probably go with an A-Wing, B-Wing, TIE Interceptor, and TIE Bomber in the next few months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Passick
United States
Charlotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DB Draft wrote:
The best start is probably with the earlier expansions. These are the classic Star Wars ships that everyone knows. Getting one of each expansion (TIE Fighter, X Wing, Y Wing, TIE Advanced, A Wing, Interceptor, Bomber and B Wing) alongside a Core Set is really going to give you tons of options. Organize with the other players about them getting some expansions too.
Get the ships you are interested in the most like the Falcon and Slave as you really need only one each of these in your whole collection. If each of the players bought just 2 or 3 expansions then together you would have a great mutual collection.
The earlier expansions are a little more "user friendly" with Pilot abilities that are easy to understand how these work like Darth Vader and Wedge Antilles. The more recent expansions have some more challenging interpretations and very conditional effects so may be confusing if you haven't started to play with the earlier ships and understand the game mechanics.
Give yourself a "budget" that you are happy to stick to, then buy double that!

Thanks for the tip on sticking to the earlier expansions for ease of use. Saves me from having to study each individual ship.
Sadly I can't really organize with other people on the purchase. My situation is that I have a group but I'm the gamer so all the buying is on me unless it's xmas or birthday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Passick
United States
Charlotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is indeed one hefty haul. Probably have to start a little slower than that for my poor bank account.
With the two starter sets, that's 10 small ships right? Kinda stuck on the idea of how many are needed before I can pull off a good game. How's that number working out for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mork Toblerone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two starter sets would get you 4 TIEs and 2 X-wings, for 6 total.

When we play with four players, we usually do 2 ships each (well, averaging 1-3). If you got the two starter sets plus the Millennium Falcon and the Firespray, that's enough ships for 4 players to have plenty to do (and enough dice and templates to go around easily). Beyond that, other ships are just for variety. You can "proxy" cards from the TIE and X-wing expansions to try them out before buying either of those two expansions; that will give you more pilots.

If you want other ships, for friendly play, just go with the ones that you or your friends feel like are the "coolest" or feel most strongly about. After you play a couple games with the above ships, see what people feel would be the most fun to introduce--someone might feel like they want something faster or more maneuverable, and you could get some Interceptors or A-Wings. One of my friends really wanted to try the B-wing recently and I was glad I had one on hand to let him fly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Passick
United States
Charlotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I added his small solo ships along with the 2 starters (that's where I got my ten).
Thanks for the info though. Especially the player average Now I know to try and aim for 8-10 ships for my group. Time to make myself a shopping list. Thanks again guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K L
msg tools
If everyone in your party is new to the game, I would start with the following game:

4x Tie Fighters (1 or 2 Ties per Imp Player)
2x X-Wing (1 X per Rebel Player)

This gives everyone a chance to get used to the basic rules.

Game 2 should be good with:

5x Tie Fi
1x Firespray (Slave I)

3x Tie
1x YT-1300 (M. Falcon)

This gives everyone a chance to play with some new pilots and to try out some different ships.

Your first purchase should be:
2x Core
1x Tie Fi Exp
1x X-wing Exp
1x Millenium Falcon
1x Slave I

When playing with 4-5 players it'll take 30-60 minutes to learn the game. Then, you'll get a really good game where everyone is flying decently. Once you play this, then start deciding what else you want to get.

This is what I purchased last week:

2x Core, Tie Fi, Tie Adv, X-wing, Y-wing, MillFal, SlaveI, A-wing, Tie Int, Lambda shuttle, B-wing, Imperial Aces and Rebel Transport.

I was in the same situation and had 6 people playing. Learn from my mistake. This will make it easier on you to learn the basic rules and slowly introduce new rules each time you order a new expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Echoing some earlier advice, a good budget-conscious start, in my opinion, would be:

2x core set
1x Millennium Falcon
1x Slave-I

All classic, easily identifiable ships. You can do 100-point Imperial and Rebel squads with just that. Mind you, it's not a ton of variety, but it can work.

From there, buy a couple ships at a time, one for each side, as you have the funds. Just buy whatever you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've acquired the following for my group so far with a few others inbound:

2x core games
1x X-Wing expansion
1x TIE advanced expansion
1x Y-wing expansion
1x imperial aces expansion (2x TIE interceptors)
1x TIE bomber
1x HWK-290 (originally just for Dark Forces video game nostalgia lol)

I have coming via a couple orders:
1x A-Wing
1x B-Wing
1x TIE defender
1x TIE phantom
1x Slave I
1x TIE fighter
2x Z-95
1x medium transport (which includes an X-Wing)
& lastly I've pre-ordered rebel aces (1x A-Wing, 1x B-Wing)

Only things left on the buy list are the Tantive IV, shuttle, & Falcon. Oh &an E-Wing though I've never cared for the aesthetics of that ship lol.

But I bought it in waves. First the core game to even see if there was interest. Then from there a second core set, the bomber, imp aces, & the X-Wing & HWK-290. This let my easily run 100pts per side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.