Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
What would you rather have for a card game with spatial aspects?
A gloss paper mat with a lower MSRP
A high quality board with a higher MSRP
Somewhere in the middle
I don't need either
      15 answers
Poll created by debiant

I'm working on a card game where players move from stack to stack. Some of the stacks may become depleted but can still be moved onto (for various nefarious purposes). If you were to purchase such a game what would you want in the box? Would it depend largely on MSRP or do you have strong feelings gloss paper vs board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would usually suggest neither; usually you can just leave a space for an empty stack and keep track of it.

The other advantage for no board is that it's usually the largest component. I'd much prefer a compact box for a card game than a mostly empty big box for some cards and the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither - it works pretty well in Innovation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I should point out that players are moving a pawn from stack to stack. From playtesting, there is some confusion when stacks run out for new players. That was why we thought a play mat might be in order.

It would also work thematically as the game takes place in a city and we might be able to do something really cool with a city in the background and the major roadways going in between the cards.

So, if it were for thematic reasons do you think that would make a difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of a mat, perhaps cards with the name of the depleted stack on them might be a cheaper option than a mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rhianna_ wrote:
Instead of a mat, perhaps cards with the name of the depleted stack on them might be a cheaper option than a mat.

That is a really good idea Louise. I never considered that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.