master loh
msg tools
When have 2 characters like Erzen & Kyra at the same location, in Erzen turn,when he encounter a monster,could I pass the monster to Kyra & let her fight it since both of them r at the same location???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
No.
When a character has to pass a test, he must be the one which passes it (others, under specific conditions, can help him - even if not in the location, in the case of blessings, for an example).
Another character could pass one of two required tests, however.

See p. 10, under "Encountering a card" :
Quote:
When you encounter a card, you—and only you—can go through the following steps. No one else can perform these steps for you, though other players might be able to play cards to help you deal with the encounter’s challenges.

And p. 11
Quote:
Only the character who encounters the card may attempt the check, with one exception: if a card requires sequential checks, the character who encountered the card must attempt at least one of the checks, but other checks may each be attempted by any one character at the same location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Each character has to deal with what they encounter and another character can't defeat, acquire, or evade it or fail to do any of those things for you.

Rulebook v3 p22 wrote:
No One Else Can Take Your Turn for You. Whenever you encounter a card or make a check, you—and only you—must resolve it. No other character can evade it, defeat it, acquire it, close it, decide what to do with it, or fail at doing any of those things. If Sajan encounters a monster, Merisiel can’t evade it for him. If Kyra encounters a Ghoul, Seoni can’t attempt the check to defeat it. If Amiri encounters a Battered Chest, Lini cannot use Thieves’ Tools against it. If Valeros encounters a Spyglass, Harsk can’t attempt the check to acquire it. If Ezren defeats a henchman at the Sandpoint Cathedral, Seelah can’t discard a blessing to close the location. If the game tells you to do something, you have to do it.

That is especially important with Theives' Tools and Masterwork Tools. They can be played to defeat a barrier. But since you can only defeat your own barrier, they can only be played to defeat a barrier you encounter.

Also notice the difference with Sanctuary. At first blush it seems to break the above rule. But on closer inspection, the action you perform is "choosing" a character. The other character does the evading. Subtle, but important.

(Unless you are Ranzak, the promo character for Skull and Shackles. He specifically has a power to evade what he encounters and let another character at his location encounter it instead.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the rule on checks just apply to the item in the upper right, or any check on the card?

Rise 1.1
Our example: Kyra, Merisiel, and Lini were at the only remaining location. Lini explores and finds Ripnugget. Merisiel rolls the stealth check and succeeds, Lini defeats the first roll, and Kyra defeats the second roll.

That seems to fit the rule as Lini did participate in the checks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamshadow wrote:
Does the rule on checks just apply to the item in the upper right, or any check on the card?

Rise 1.1
Our example: Kyra, Merisiel, and Lini were at the only remaining location. Lini explores and finds Ripnugget. Merisiel rolls the stealth check and succeeds, Lini defeats the first roll, and Kyra defeats the second roll.

That seems to fit the rule as Lini did participate in the checks.

The rule about others being allowed to attempt one of the checks if there is more than one check applies to the checks in the upper right box. For checks in the powers section, you have to apply them to based on when they happen.

For Ripnugget, I think that one says "before the encounter attempt...". There is only 1 character going through the encounter sequence, so that is the character that must do it.

If it said "before the encounter each character..." then it is obvious that each character does it. The Harpy does that. Or if it just said "Before you play a spell with the attack trait succeed at..." then any character that wanted to play a spell with the atrack trait would have to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I nominate this for most accurate subject/title ever?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
Can I nominate this for most accurate subject/title ever?
Yes, but not as the best synthesis. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't do this in the official rules, but I have been exploring a variant that allows this and having a lot of fun with it. See "Limited Power" in my comprehensive RotR variant: scenario tweaks, more gradual card introduction and damage type tweaks. I was getting jaded on the regular game, so I added Limited Power and Unstable Elements to my current campaign and am having a lot of fun with the increased spectrum of choices they allow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.