Subject: Several questions before the first modern age game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my Kickstarter copy, and we would like to play our first game (modern age) tomorrow, but the rules are very confusing. Please help me.

1. Do you really assing your influence points blindly? How can a very young politician get in game, if he misses the first random draw?
2. Why can a politician have more then one kind of influence on him? What is the meaning of this?
3. What is the meaning of removing an influence from a politician (e.g.: sent to Siberia), while anyone can declare it again any time?
4. When is the red cross removed if a politicican sent in a Sanatorium? In the same round, next round?
5. Can a politician leave the Sanatorium before full recovery?
6. When should a player decide to leave the Sanatorium?
7. How many purge action can you do in the same round?
8. How many investigation/trial/condamnation/burning action can you do in the same round?
9. Rules say that switching in the same level is free" in the promtion phase, but the board says it costs +1 age. Which is the correct?
10. How many promote/demote action can you do in the same round?
11. Why would the PC leave any empty space in the 2nd/3rd level after his demotion phase? Same question applies for the 1st level politicians?
12. Is there any card limit on the people space? (Politicians go there from exile and siberia)
13. What can I exactly do in the 3-6-9 rounds? I can assing +2 influence, or assign 1 influence and draw a card, or draw 2 cards?
14. What is the meaning of discarding half of my influence to get back from an exile? Can't I declare them any time again I want?
15. End game scoring: 3 points for controlling the Party Chief. At the game end?

Don't forget the all questions about the new KS, moder age game!

Thank you for your help in advance,
Daniel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: I own the new version but I only played the OLD AH version... I just read ( a very fast read! )the new edition rules, hope I can help.

1) what do you mean by blindly? First of all you create the politburo THEN you assign your influence points. Young politicians can enter the game because purges/deaths are common so there's a lot of vacant space!
2) because the influence is blindly AND SECRETLY dealt. You reveal it during the course of the game , so 2 or more players can place influence on the same person.
3) only the DECLARED influence is lost when a politician is send to Siberia, the still secret one is NOT lost! That's why is worth to reabilitate someone!
4) If i'm not mistaken you do not remove the red cross in the Sanatorium, it just help having a better chance of NOT getting worse and MAYBE heal
5/6) Yes, every turn you decide to go/leave Sanatorium
7) All you want until u FAIL one.
8) All you can want.
9/10) I honestly do not remember.
11) do not understand the question!
12) Nope, Siberia and Exile can host any number of people. Plenty of space in Siberia!
12) No limit.
13) Yes, your choice.
14) I still have to play with the Exile rules...
15) I suggest to play with the old AH Game victory rule: 3 parades or who controls the Party Chief at the end of the game

I hope to have cleared at least some of your points!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your reply. It is getting clearer.

1. Page 3.: "Players allocate their influence points before the politicians are dealt to fill the Politburo. "
It seems very random.

3. What does lost mean? Can I declare it again any time?

11. In the 6th phase after the PC is done with the demotions empty spaces can be filled up by the 1st level politicians and next the 2nd level politicians. I can't understand, why would the PC leave any empty space for the other players.

12. So no limit either on Siberia, Exile and people?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fisha wrote:
Thank you for your reply. It is getting clearer.

1. Page 3.: "Players allocate their influence points before the politicians are dealt to fill the Politburo. "
It seems very random.

3. What does lost mean? Can I declare it again any time?

11. In the 6th phase after the PC is done with the demotions empty spaces can be filled up by the 1st level politicians and next the 2nd level politicians. I can't understand, why would the PC leave any empty space for the other players.

12. So no limit either on Siberia, Exile and people?

Hmmm, maybe this was changed from old AH version; I used to allocate influence AFTER the politburo was chosen. It makes more sense to me! I suggest you do the same if you agree!

Yeah, you can DECLARE in any given moment how many influence points you want, even LESS the total amount! Mindtricks, you know. Usually is best to declare the minimum amount needed to control the politician, you do not want to lose ALL the influence if ( when? ) he's sent to Siberia!

11) Maybe because the demoted men are not PC's owner men and the newcomers are?

12) Nope, no limit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fisha wrote:

I haven't seen this version of the game, but assuming that the rules are the same as both previous versions of the game (possibly a dangerous assumption), then every promotion or demotion causes ageing by 1 SP. The Party Chief may not want this extra SP as it increases his chances of becoming unwell or dying, possibly stopping him from waving, which is after all the idea of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nicktaruffi wrote:

Yeah, you can DECLARE in any given moment how many influence points you want, even LESS the total amount! Mindtricks, you know. Usually is best to declare the minimum amount needed to control the politician, you do not want to lose ALL the influence if ( when? ) he's send to Siberia!

I assume that I don't really understand this influence stuff.
Let's see an example.

I assigned 8 influence at the start of the game on a politician. I delcared 3 from this during the middle of the game, when he is unfortunately sent to Siberia. I "lose" my influence from him. After that what can I declare? Maximum 8? Or maximum 5? Or enything else?

Thank you in advance again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fisha wrote:
nicktaruffi wrote:

Yeah, you can DECLARE in any given moment how many influence points you want, even LESS the total amount! Mindtricks, you know. Usually is best to declare the minimum amount needed to control the politician, you do not want to lose ALL the influence if ( when? ) he's send to Siberia!

I assume that I don't really understand this influence stuff.
Let's see an example.

I assigned 8 influence at the start of the game on a politician. I delcared 3 from this during the middle of the game, when he is unfortunately sent to Siberia. I "lose" my influence from him. After that what can I declare? Maximum 8? Or maximum 5? Or enything else?

Thank you in advance again.

If you assigned 8 influence, declared only 3 and then the politican is sent to Siberia, then you ONLY LOSE THOSE 3 PTS. You still keep ( secretly! ) the extra 5 influence; if the politician is rehabilitated from freezing Siberia, you can later on still declare UP TO 5 influence pts on him.
When and IF overcommitting on a politician is key in Kremlin! but that comes with experience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Dart
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fisha wrote:
I got my Kickstarter copy, and we would like to play our first game (modern age) tomorrow, but the rules are very confusing. Please help me.

We just played our first game with the "Modern" setup and the Jolly Roger rules, so I may be able to help:

Quote:

1. Do you really assing your influence points blindly? How can a very young politician get in game, if he misses the first random draw?

Yes, and "Maybe not until pretty late in the game." We weren't terribly fond of this method, as it does make things pretty random. And despite having an awful lot of deaths (13 by game's end) and purges and exiles, it did indeed take a while to work down to the younger politicians.

Quote:
2. Why can a politician have more then one kind of influence on him? What is the meaning of this?

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question, but you have both declared and undeclared (written on the sheet but not reflected on the board).

Quote:
3. What is the meaning of removing an influence from a politician (e.g.: sent to Siberia), while anyone can declare it again any time?

When the politician is sent to Siberia, the top declared influence is both removed from the card and crossed off your sheet. It's no longer available to be declared.

(But imagine Leonid Brezhnev is your top influence choice, with 10 influence allocated on your sheet. Leonid has 6 influence from your faction showing on the board, and gets purged. That 6 is gone. However, you still have 4 undeclared influence on him, for use if and when he returns to the Politburo.

Quote:
4. When is the red cross removed if a politicican sent in a Sanatorium? In the same round, next round?

As noted, it's only removed if the die roll in the Health Phase says so. Being in the Sanatorium makes it more likely that a red cross will be removed, but there's no guarantee (and, indeed, it's possible you can actually get sicker and die while in the Sanatorium.

Quote:

It's a one-year stay, so by default you don't stay there. You can, however, decide to go there for several turns in a row.

When should you leave? That all depends. Personally, since Inactive politicians are more vulnerable to purges, I tend to work them to death and wring whatever benefits I can from them before they die, and seldom send guys to the Sanatorium in the first place, but different players will have different preferences.
Quote:

As many as you want until one of them fails. Then the Purge phase automatically ends.

Quote:

8. How many investigation/trial/condamnation/burning action can you do in the same round?

As many investigations or burning actions as you wish. But only one trial and one condemnation.
Quote:

9. Rules say that switching in the same level is free" in the promtion phase, but the board says it costs +1 age. Which is the correct?

A very good question. I don't know. We played it as +1 age, but I'm not certain that's the intended rule.

Quote:

No limits, but remember the aging effects.

Quote:
11. Why would the PC leave any empty space in the 2nd/3rd level after his demotion phase? Same question applies for the 1st level politicians?

Again, it costs age/SP to promote people. Other possibilities:

1. You might not have one of "your" guys to promote.
2. If the oldest guys are the ones you prefer, they'll get promoted by default, and you don't have to age.
3. You don't want to tip your hand by promoting someone and sending a signal that he's important to you / has a lot of influence on him.

Quote:
12. Is there any card limit on the people space? (Politicians go there from exile and siberia)

No limit.

Quote:
13. What can I exactly do in the 3-6-9 rounds? I can assing +2 influence, or assign 1 influence and draw a card, or draw 2 cards?

Correct.

Quote:
14. What is the meaning of discarding half of my influence to get back from an exile? Can't I declare them any time again I want?

Again, the discarded influence is gone forever, so that's the drawback.

Quote:
15. End game scoring: 3 points for controlling the Party Chief. At the game end?

I'm not sure I understand the question. But in our game, on over half the turns, the Party Chief was too sick to wave, so no faction ever got to 3 waves.

If this happens, I think the player who controls the Party Chief at the end will usually have a good chance of winning the game, because the waves actually don't count all that much in point scoring compared to active politicians.

Quote:

Don't forget the all questions about the new KS, moder age game!

Thank you for your help in advance,
Daniel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
fisha wrote:

a) Yes! IN the new (Modern) version influence is assigned before you know who's in what position. Pretty silly idea, if you ask me. Might as well roll a pair of dice to to see who wins.
b) Pretty unlikely using these rules.

fisha wrote:

The only different kinds of influence I can imagine you're talking about are 'declared' and 'undeclared'. Influence you have publicly announced on a politician (declared) can be lost. Any undeclared influence is never lost (unless the politician dies) and can be declared later in the game.

fisha wrote:

You remove only what is visible/public/declared. You lose whatever influence you may have held over a politician when s/he is sent to Siberia as there's not much you have to persuade him/her with--even if s/he had the power to help you--while s/he's in Siberia. This is lost for good.
Undeclared influence (those points that were assigned but not yet declared) can be declared at any time.
nictaruffi has answered this for you with your example.

fisha wrote:

Only if the result of the roll on the Health Table, during the Health Phase, calls for 'Recover', a result which is more likely if you're in the sanatorium but is still possible if not. This happens in the same turn that the politician is sent to the sanatorium if s/he is.

fisha wrote:

5. Yes, any time you want (during the cure phase, when these decisions are made).
6. When you need him/her to perform a function (purge, promote, etc.); when you need him/her to be present for some impending vote (including his/her own trial); to try to avoid being purged, tried.

fisha wrote:

7. nictaruffi got this one.
8. Investigations:
One per politician in the politburo (8--of course this would include the minister conducting the investigations).
Trials:
One--of a politician who has been under investigation.
Condemnations:
One (Note, condemnations are instead of Trials.)
Burning:
AS many as are possible.

fisha wrote:

Free.

fisha wrote:

As many as you want.

fisha wrote:

1. YOu don't want to age any further.
2. YOu don't want to reveal your preference for a given politician.
3. You're willing to take your chance with the promotion-by-age when it happens.

fisha wrote:

TEchnically 'no' as additions from Siberia are potentially 'limitless', though 4 is what it starts with and is intended to remain at.
Here's where I'm going to editorialize again; This is ridiculous! The original intention was that ALL the rest of the politicians were 'People', but there was only room for 4 on the actual board. As you noted earlier, this means that young politicians may never see any action. I wonder if this was one of the casualties of the we-have-to-change-something-so-it-doesn't-look-like-the-AH-version approach to rule writing.

fisha wrote:

13. Answered earlier by nictaruffi.
14. As mentioned earlier, 'lost' influence are gone for good. Undeclared influence can be declared again later.

fisha wrote:

Yes.

After playing this a few times, try the AH or Fata Morgana rules. You may decide you like them better.

edit: corrected trial answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much! You are the best guys.
We try our first game soon, so I will definately come back with more questions at evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, I forget that I found something about the investigation in the rules which is slightly different with you wrote:

Modern Game rules. Page 8:
"The Defense Minister is not limited to a Trial or a Condemnation, instead, the Minister may conduct both in whichever order he prefers."

Maybe this is the key to raise the very young politicans in the buro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
My oops. Sorry, was multitasking at the time.

Also will clarify my use of Politburo in my response to #8. They refer to the "voting members" as the top 8, and the Politburo as the voting members plus the candidates.
I should have said the "voting members" of the Politburo.

And just to clarify #10, remember that a Politician can only be promoted/demoted one step by any one Politician.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Dart
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fisha wrote:
Oops, I forget that I found something about the investigation in the rules which is slightly different with you wrote:

"The Defense Minister is not limited to a Trial or a Condemnation, instead, the Minister may conduct both in whichever order he prefers."

Yes, I think it could help if used aggressively. For some reason, our players who controlled the Defense Minister didn't use that power much. If it were me, I'd condemn someone I don't have points on every year, just on general principle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fisha wrote:

Yes, having a young KGB/Defense minister can be VERY funny
That's why it is worth to spend a few influence pts ( not too many ) on young politicians. Sometimes it can be risky, tho... in many games the youngest do not have enough time and too fierce competition to become KGB chief/Defence Minister!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First let me give a shameless plug for my re-write of the rules (Jim asked if I'd like to): Kremlin Rule Re-Write Hopefully these are an improvement and should make finding your answers easier.

I'll address some of your questions for clarity.

Like you noticed the Modern allow you to do both a trial and a condemnation.

Losing influence when being sent to Siberia is different in each game.
Modern: the Faction with the most declared influence loses that amount.
1928: all Factions with declared influence lose that amount. (note Purges don't send you to Siberia, they kill you)
Standard: no influence is lost

The PC can continue to promote/demote as long as you don't move a particular Politician two levels.

Why more than one kind of influence? Once you declare influence you can't remove it even if you aren't the one controlling the Politician. It's very important info for gamers to know which factions are fighting over a particular Politician.

Hiding out in the Sanatorium is a reasonable strategy. But it comes with a price. You have to leave the Sanatorium if you're healthy but if not the best time to come out is when there's a decision coming during the round that you want to have a say in (vote, nomination...) but certainly you want to leave if you have a chance at a wave.

The board has an error, the +1 for moving within the same rank is incorrect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wales
msg tools
The "Free replacement" is when the replacement phase begins as follows: " 6. Replacement Phase: The Party Chief may now freely shift Politicians (both active and inactive) to new Politburo slots of his choice within their current level at no cost to himself." (Avalon Hill Rules). Promotions/demotions cost Party Chief one SP as it is for 1st and 2nd level politician's promotions. As I read it, only the Party Chief can shift same level and/or demote, 1st and 2nd level politicians can only promote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.