United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
or does it matter?

As an american I identify more with the '$' than the '€'

Does it really matter? as a euro style cube pusher would a euro be more appropriate?

please help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like currency that is thematically appropriate to the game I'm playing. If it's set in the US then dollars, if in Europe then Euros, if Japan Yen... You get the idea.

Though while I'm playing I'm probably going to call them dollars or "bucks" or something like that no matter what they're supposed to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose the currency choice would then determine the setting as the theme really isn't bound or even set at a specific location.

Who does more Chemical research the US or EU?

**edit -- well, I just checked a list of the top 100 colleges for chemistry and counting only US and EU it was 32-32... so that didn't help much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My game shelf is right next to my computer. Glancing over, I see 5 Euro games set in Europe, and only Kings of Air and Steam set in the U.S.A. An American setting may be a bit more novel assuming my shelf's ratio is about right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
Be different...make the game setting Canada, and then you can still use the dollar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trev
Australia
St Kilda
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
most game groups i frequent just call game currency "money", as in 12 money or 230 money. Game currency such as electros, dinari, dollars, cosmic credits is all ... money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Florin, taler, and to a lesser account pounds are common

I usually say Quatloos, since I don't remember the currency.
Coins or money is often used as a generic unit.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Karlsson
Sweden
Eskilstuna
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caedmus wrote:
I suppose the currency choice would then determine the setting as the theme really isn't bound or even set at a specific location.

**edit -- well, I just checked a list of the top 100 colleges for chemistry and counting only US and EU it was 32-32... so that didn't help much

A lot of the EU countries do not use euros so I guess your check is a "win" for dollars.

(My country, which is part of the EU, still use crowns so I don't care :-) .)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space bucks are the universal currency, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Karlsson
Sweden
Eskilstuna
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JewellGames wrote:

I do like the MB from Illuminati - MegaBucks.

(Probably not invented by SJG.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CptWilly wrote:
I like currency that is thematically appropriate to the game I'm playing. If it's set in the US then dollars, if in Europe then Euros, if Japan Yen... You get the idea.

Though while I'm playing I'm probably going to call them dollars or "bucks" or something like that no matter what they're supposed to be. :)

This would be nearly verbatim my response. Use whatever currency is thematically appropriate. But I'm likely to still call them dollars in mid-game conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ya like others have said it really has more to do with the game. I would have a major issue if I was playing a game that was set in Europe that used US$ as the currency, or a game that say happened in the 1500's that used US$. With games it is theme theme theme...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the eurozone has 333 million inhabitants, USA has 313 million. If you add other countries using a sort of dollar (Australia, Canada) more people live in a country officially using a dollar as the only official currency. Therefore I´d go for $, but not USD, let it open which dollar. (well most people will associate $ with US)

I (as a European using the €) have no problems with usign $ in a game. (actually I couldn´t name a game using the €)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
the eurozone has 333 million inhabitants, USA has 313 million. If you add other countries using a sort of dollar (Australia, Canada) more people live in a country officially using a dollar as the only official currency. Therefore I´d go for $, but not USD, let it open which dollar. (well most people will associate $ with US)

If you're going to take that approach, you really ought to use Renminbi/Yuan or Rupees, since China and India each have a higher population than all the major dollar-using countries put together!

smithlucas wrote:
I (as a European using the €) have no problems with usign $ in a game. (actually I couldn´t name a game using the €)

I've definitely seen games using Euros, but I can't remember which off-hand; the currency is at a disadvantage from being very young, though - not very many historical games will be set in a Euro-using period, while many will cover periods which use the Dollar, Thaler, or other cognate currency-name.

As a Brit - and therefore a European using the Pound (which appears in more games than the Euro; ha!) - I'm in agreement with several posters above: I have no problem using whatever currency makes sense for the setting, but a lot of the time it's going to be simplified to "money" whenever I'm talking about it. If it's a neutral setting, then use whatever currency name you like, it doesn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caedmus wrote:

Looking at modern Nobel prizes awarded for chemistry (last 15 years, assuming the game isn't in a historical setting) it looks like US scientists are far more represented than Eurozone countries. Don't know how much this should matter, but if your game is about cutting edge research in chemistry the dollars wouldn't be a bad way to go. More aptly you may want to consider denominations currency $1000 or $10000 increments, since I think the average chemistry research grant is between $50,000 and $100,000.

One of my small pet peeves in a game is when the scale of currency is all wrong. ("You've just funded the construction of a Cathedral in Stockholm! That will cost you 2 Krona, please!")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
smithlucas wrote:

If you're going to take that approach, you really ought to use Renminbi/Yuan or Rupees, since China and India each have a higher population than all the major dollar-using countries put together!

I have had this thoughts as well, but I didn´t go for that because of two reasons:
1) I aestimate the number of potential players in the $ world (or in the €zone) to be much higher than in China or India. Well, they are both developing rapidly, but I guess there are still millions of poor farmers who will never be able to have access to this game even if the would like to.

2) people from the $ and the € world could probably find it pretty strange to use Renminbi/Yuan (except you will let your game take place in a specific Indian (or Chinese) chemical factory. (see below)

Anyway, my vote is for the $ (not USD or AUD or CAD, but the $ in general)

New data on the thematic level:

Chemical Sales (billions) of the greatest corporations (wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_industry#Chemical_Manu...)

Country
BASF SE, Ludwigshafen, Germany $65.3 1 Germany
Dow Chemical, Midland, Michigan, United States $53.5 2 United States
INEOS, Lyndhurst, UK $43.6 3 United Kingdom
LyondellBasell, Houston, Texas, $42.8 4 United States
Formosa Plastics, Taiwan $31.9 5 Taiwan
DuPont, Wilmington, Delaware, $28.5 6 United States
Saudi Basic Industries Corporation, Riyadh, $26.4 7 Saudi Arabia
Bayer, AG, Leverkusen, Germany $24.2 8 Germany
Mitsubishi Chemical, Tokyo, Japan $22.2 9 Japan
Akzo Nobel/Imperial Chemical Industries(ICI), Amsterdam/London $19.9 10 Netherlands/United Kingdom
Air Liquide, Paris, France $16.3 11 France
Sumitomo Chemical, Tokyo, Japan $15.2 12 Japan
Evonik Industries, AG, Essen, Germany $15.0 13 Germany
Mitsui Chemicals, Tokyo, Japan $14.3 14 Japan
Asahi Kasei, Tokyo, Japan $13.8 15 Japan
Toray Industries, Tokyo, Japan $13.1 16 Japan
Chevron Phillips, The Woodlands, Texas $12.5 17 United States
DSM NV, Heerlen, Netherlands $12.1 18 Netherlands
PPG Industries, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, $11.2 19 United States
Shin-Etsu Chemical Co., Ltd., Tokyo, Japan $11.1 20 Japan

Among these top 20:

Japan: 6 (that surprises me)
USA: 5
Germany: 3
Netherlands and Uk: 2 each (1 shared)
France, Saudi Arabia and Taiwan: 1 each

(China and India: 0 each)

Take this data FWIW. (It´s from 2007 and taken from wikipedia.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CptWilly wrote:
Caedmus wrote:

Looking at modern Nobel prizes awarded for chemistry (last 15 years, assuming the game isn't in a historical setting) it looks like US scientists are far more represented than Eurozone countries. Don't know how much this should matter, but if your game is about cutting edge research in chemistry the dollars wouldn't be a bad way to go. More aptly you may want to consider denominations currency $1000 or $10000 increments, since I think the average chemistry research grant is between $50,000 and $100,000.

One of my small pet peeves in a game is when the scale of currency is all wrong. ("You've just funded the construction of a Cathedral in Stockholm! That will cost you 2 Krona, please!")

$50,000 (or even 5,000) takes up a lot more design real estate than $5 does but I get where you're coming from. would a line in the rulebook be enough to suffice, or would you put the zeroes really small on the chit and not on the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the input BTW!

I think I've decided to go ahead and use the $ simply for the fact of it's ease of recognition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:

The only game that I can think of that uses the € is Jet Set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caedmus wrote:
CptWilly wrote:
Caedmus wrote:

$50,000 (or even 5,000) takes up a lot more design real estate than $5 does but I get where you're coming from. would a line in the rulebook be enough to suffice, or would you put the zeroes really small on the chit and not on the board?

I believe Vinhos does something like your second suggestion (put 000's on the currency chits, but not on the board). I thought it was odd when I first saw it, but as I played it didn't bother me.

I think explaining in the rule book is a good idea if the "currency" in the game is something non-standard (like if the currency tokens have denominations 1, 2, and 5, and the rule book explains that each 1 "currency" represents a dollar value equivalent to the typical grant... i.e. $75,000). This reminds me of how some war games handle unit strength on counters, but I can't think of a specific example of when I've seen it done for in-game currency in a Euro. I sort of like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You just gave me an idea to use "grants" as the currency!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sort of thought that was a good idea, too, when I had it. It's yours to use if you'd like. I'm interested to see how the game turns out, what mechanics (other than cube-pushing) you have in mind. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks again! It has worker placement, resource management, and a bit of an auction mechanic as well.

Here's a link to my WIP thread I posted a while back. After some playtesting and a crashed hard drive I'm now in the process of a pretty major overhaul to the game. Feel free to check it out if you'd like!

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/884827/wip-covalence-strateg...

edit** forgot the actual link :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bonet
United States
Larchmont
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JewellGames wrote:

With the highest amount being a million space bucks.

"A million? That's not fair."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish more games used "simoleons" with the currency symbol "§", although you'd MAY run up against ip infringement with Electronic Arts...

Seriously, if you want to use a real currency, just continue with development and you'll probably end up with a clear correct choice based on the theme/setting of your game. Or picking a currency could also guide the theme to a more American or European steting... Maybe once you get artwork it'll become obvious, or if you publish the publisher will suggest one...

For some reason reading your original pdf I'd lean towards Euro. Maybe because I'm an American with no experience with biochem or scientific research, it just makes me feel like giving it a European setting gives it a more academic feel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.