Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: a-voir [+] [View All]
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I have an unusual lull in my homework, I thought I would throw my hat in the ring for the 2014 Solitaire Print and Play Contest.

This is a concept I've had clanging around in my head for about a year. I woke up this morning having finally solved several of the issues with the design concept. Hopefully everyone can benefit from my somnambulist genius.

The Elevator Pitch

Case #27 is social deduction game, meaning that the people around you will be participating in the game--although they will not know they are involved.

In Case #27, you are a private detective, hired to solve a murder that the police have given up on. You must question your friends, relatives, acquaintances, or even strangers about their whereabouts at the time of the murder, as well as dredge up some information about their lives, in order to determine who the murderer is. Have casual conversations with them and ask innocent questions, but don't let them know that they are murder suspects!

Number of Players

1, although the player will have to speak with at least 5 other people.

Expected Play Time

Anywhere between 30 minutes and several days, depending on how often you speak with people.

The Longer Pitch

To play, print out the Case #27 PocketMod and put it in your pocket along with a pen or pencil. Go about your day, having casual conversations with those around you. When someone asks you "How are you doing?" or a derivative thereof, that triggers the start of the game. That person is designated as the murder victim. You must now find out where they died, how they died, who killed him or her, and why.

As you go about your day, other conversations you have and other people you encounter will give you further clues. Piece together the evidence to bring the guilty party to justice!

Record your evidence on the PocketMod. Once you have solved the case, post your results online to reveal the murderer!

The Explanation

This is an idea I've had for a long time. I wanted to encourage gamers who are naturally shy or reserved to have conversations with those around them. I thought it would be fun to have a game where the player's conversations with others and the things happening around him or her would trigger events or give the player tools to deal with problems in the game.

As I awakened this morning, it occurred to me that a murder investigation might be the perfect theme for such a game. Detective stories largely involve the protagonist going around having conversations with people in order to gather clues. That's easily translated into a game that can fit into one's pocket or purse!

I came up with different "triggers" that will give the player pieces of evidence. For example, the first suspect you encounter will be the first person to say some derivative of "Hello" to you once the game has begun. This will force the player to carry on a conversation with that person to find out such things as where they were during the time of the murder, how they knew the victim, and whether they possessed the murder weapon.

It should be fun, trying to innocently ask people questions without giving away the game!

The Files

The PocketMod
The Rules

The Image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Coins
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the best ideas I've heard of in a long time! I can't wait to "involve" my friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:
This is one of the best ideas I've heard of in a long time! I can't wait to "involve" my friends!

Thanks! I hope it's fun! Files should be ready in just a few minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the PocketMod is ready to go. I tried something a little different this time in assembling the PocketMod, and I'm not sure if the experiment was totally successful. I'll have to print it out and see how it looks on a page to decide if I like the current format.

Unfortunately, I'm not likely to have access to a printer until Monday. If anyone prints this out before then and has trouble reading the font, please let me know! I want to make sure that the game is legible as well as playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I *love* the concept !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
richdodgin wrote:

I *love* the concept !

Hurray!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
richdodgin wrote:

I *love* the concept !

Hurray!

This sounds awesome, Nate! Printed, subscribed, and looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:
richdodgin wrote:

I *love* the concept !

Hurray!

This sounds awesome, Nate! Printed, subscribed, and looking forward to it!

How did it print out? Is it legible? It looks okay on my computer, but I haven't had a chance to test print it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I'd say so far is that the folding/cutting instructions are upside down when you hold it the way it tells you to hold it. Which means flipping it back and forth, or reading upside down!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pusherman42 wrote:
The only thing I'd say so far is that the folding/cutting instructions are upside down when you hold it the way it tells you to hold it. Which means flipping it back and forth, or reading upside down!

Okay, that's good to know, and an easy fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
msg tools
The concept really is absolutely genius. - I'll have to play the game soon.
I just wanted to say that there is a cursor and a red spellcheck line on the cover
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Defendor wrote:
The concept really is absolutely genius. - I'll have to play the game soon.
I just wanted to say that there is a cursor and a red spellcheck line on the cover

Hilarious! Alright, I'll tweak the images and see if I can't make them more legible. I really want this method of PocketMod creation to work, since it's faster and easier than how I normally make them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New PocketMod is up. I've beefed up the font so it should be easier to read. I've also cleaned up a couple of embarrassing issues on the cover page. Thanks for all the feedback so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very nice idea!

And I love the fact that the "how are you doing" guy is the victim!
As a German, I don't like superficial salutations devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Coins
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Determining if the suspect has the murder weapon confuses me a little. I decide they have the murder weapon if they also have one of those items that matches the cause of death? It makes sense now that I've typed it, but just being sure.

Then if several had the weapon, it's still down to whoever was closest to the crime scene at TOD?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:
Determining if the suspect has the murder weapon confuses me a little. I decide they have the murder weapon if they also have one of those items that matches the cause of death? It makes sense now that I've typed it, but just being sure.

Then if several had the weapon, it's still down to whoever was closest to the crime scene at TOD?

You got it! I should probably type up official rules; they're not completely self-explanatory just from reading the PocketMod.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like most elderly people are arson victims.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
It seems like most elderly people are arson victims.

There are a lot of things you could say about this game that sound extremely morbid and depressing out of context. :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
Check out the 2017 Solo Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very creative idea! Printing now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
Very creative idea! Printing now.

Thanks, Chris!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In other news, I must be a real curmudgeon. Now one has asked me how I'm doing.

(I mean, my wife has, but I know her schedule really well, which kind of takes the fun out of figuring out the location of the crime scene.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So how are you doin' today, Nate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:

(I mean, my wife has, but I know how schedule really well, which kind of takes the fun out of figuring out the location of the crime scene.)

I have a similar problem; I meet the same chap on the way into work most days, so he's going to be strangled to death for the foreseeable future. Since he's also the only person in our office who a) talks to me on a regular basis and b) owns a musical instrument, I can only assume he's prone to suicide...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:

(I mean, my wife has, but I know how schedule really well, which kind of takes the fun out of figuring out the location of the crime scene.)

I have a similar problem; I meet the same chap on the way into work most days, so he's going to be strangled to death for the foreseeable future. Since he's also the only person in our office who a) talks to me on a regular basis and b) owns a musical instrument, I can only assume he's prone to suicide...

HAH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrific. I'll never be able to have a normal conversation again; I'll always be wondering whether the other person is playing this game. Thanks a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.