Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!

I'm working on finishing a game room in the basement and I'd love to put a pool table down there. It would be awesome if I could design a way to cover the pool table and turn it into a gaming table for boardgames.

Anyone done anything like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Deignan
United States
West Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a pool table in mine and can't seem to find a comfortable way to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a ping-pong topper for it. Comes with the bonus... PING PONG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Building or acquiring some kind of topper isn't that big of a deal, but unless you find a pretty unusual pool table, either or both leg-room and/or ease-of-reach are going to be serious issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ping Pong Topper is OK....

I hadn't thought about reach or leg room, good thoughts. I was thinking that the general size and shape of a pool table are similar to the emissary from geek chicq.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sell
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fxguy1 wrote:
The Ping Pong Topper is OK....

I hadn't thought about reach or leg room, good thoughts. I was thinking that the general size and shape of a pool table are similar to the emissary from geek chicq.

Ask yourself how much you'll really play pool. Most pool tables go unused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a relatively cheap pool table from Costco that came with a poker top that flips to a dining top. I love the table, and it is nice and stable too. Here are a few pics:

Game room finally "complete"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
I have a relatively cheap pool table from Costco that came with a poker top that flips to a dining top. I love the table, and it is nice and stable too.
As you say in the video, it's not really a great pool table. You're not going to be able to convert a good pool table for use as a good table. I'd agree with the comment about being realistic on how much you'll really use the pool table. You think you'll use it way more than you actually do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Deignan
United States
West Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second that. Our pool table came with the house, I would have much rather had an empty game room to furnish with a gaming table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Flora
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could cover just the table surface with something like a table mat from HCD Supplies or custom cut felt mounted to neoprene (or some similar idea). I would not advise playing on the pool table surface without some kind of cover...some kind of accident will inevitably happen.

You could build a full cover out of plywood or MDF, but it will be heavy and hard to store.

The biggest two problems I have found with playing board or miniatures games on a pool table are:

1) The sides of the table are not a good height to sit at and accommodate one's legs. We always stood while playing.

2) If anyone or anything (such as a plywood table cover puts weight on the table's side cushions, they will be damaged, and your pool table is ruined for the purpose of playing pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually have threads from people asking how to make a table with a dropped playing surface, covered in felt. Today we have someone asking to change one that is already like that (even with cup holders - pockets!) to a game table. I don't know what else to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.