Popular Tags: [View All]
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found out that my scheduled game at an upcoming con is already filled which means I'll be teaching 5 commandos their first game. (in a 4 hour slot)

I know there are self balancing mechanisms in the game that scale with player count. Still, I've now heard from multiple people that with a full 5 commandos the game is just a cakewalk to the point that it wasn't even fun for anyone.

Also heard from one person who felt the support guy ability allows removal of adrenalin tokens for the overseer's bank was completely broken with 5 commandos. Said it left the overseer unable to do much of anything spoiling the game for all. Should I consider removing that character/ability from our game?

Would love to hear some first hand thoughts from those of you that have actually played with 6, and would like to avoid conjecture (however well intentioned) from those who have only played with fewer.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our PBF game with 5 Commandos is nearing completion (PBF: Mission 4, Lost And Found), and the Countermeasure has the Masker kit card, reducing the adrenaline. I haven't found it unbalancing at all. In fact, I'm a bit on the confident side right now as to winning this game. Crisis Point has hit, one commando is downed (will probably die this next turn), the commandos have to work their way through a nasty room of clones and who knows what else.

If this is the commando's first game but you're overseeing, then I don't see any reason to gimp them, even on mission 1. Plan the Room cards right and you have a good chance of defeating them, especially new players (they might split up, etc). And if not, it won't be super easy for them and I imagine they'll have plenty of fun.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryce, your being confident of winning against 5 isn't much of a comfort given your depth of experience, so perhaps it would be better to rephrase… laugh

For a new overseer running their very first game or two against new players do you feel that there are some balancing considerations to take into account specifically with a 5 commando team, with a view towards everyone having the best time possible?

Again, I ask this based on numerous reports from others who expressed extremely disappointing experiences at the full player count citing serious imbalance. (even if that was really just down to lack of player skill)

Doesn't matter if that is significantly leveled out with experience as my concern is this first game experience for all parties involved. For most a very poor outing that first time is enough to not ever revisit the game, and at least one of the reports I'm talking about came from a group that sold the game after having had exactly this experience.

I personally would not give up on a game so easily, knowing that many of the best take time to reveal their brilliance, but also want to offer as excellent a first time experience as possible to these first time players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Torell
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Android:Netrunner videos: http://www.peachhack.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're worried about it being too easy, check out my strategy guide for Mission 1! http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1152673/evil-overseer-missio...

I also agree that masker is not overpowered, and in a 5-commando game, you're not going to have much of an issue with not having enough adrenaline, methinks.

Actually, I think the biggest issue you will run into is finishing the game within 4 hours...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game with about a dozen different people, and not once were any of the players unsatisfied, even in a difficult game (commandos split up, lost). I think the players you play with will like the game. If the overseer is not experienced, that might be a little different. Unlike other 1vMany games, this one is unforgiving on the "1" side (where usually it's unforgiving on the hero side). So make sure the Overseer understands basic strategies (Room and Door placements, attack in waves, save adrenaline between turns, etc) and I think it will go just fine.

If you're really worried, just remove the adrenaline sucking powers from Countermeasures, and take out Napalm from the Heavy. Might make the game too easy for the Overseer though...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, will definitely take all that to heart. I'll be the Overseer myself so I'll definitely do some reading of the strategy guides and tips here to make sure I've got a decent handle on key areas.

dodgepong wrote:
Actually, I think the biggest issue you will run into is finishing the game within 4 hours...

I'm actually a bit concerned about that myself, but thankfully I've got a sexy new DGT Cube Timer I can whip out if things look like they're bogging down.

I actually rather like Eric's thematic argument for the use of a timer, though I think being a bit more forgiving than he is with the time limits could still keep things moving and create tension without totally stressing everyone out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.