Bart
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not seen this addressed in Bruges.

Here is how the situation came to happen. My wife had a card that allows her to play an extra card in her hand. That meant the last round of her turn she would only have one card left. But she wanted to recruit that person after she built another house (which she didn't have yet).

So she's wanting to pass her final round of the turn to keep the guy to carry it over to the next turn.

I haven't seen passing mentioned in the rules, so I'm assuming it's not allowed, but I can see it argued both ways. Passing is a wasted round for the player so it's already a negative, but forcing them to play might be just as negative because they didn't get to use it in the manner they desired.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BartInPC wrote:
I've not seen this addressed in Bruges.

Here is how the situation came to happen. My wife had a card that allows her to play an extra card in her hand. That meant the last round of her turn she would only have one card left. But she wanted to recruit that person after she built another house (which she didn't have yet).

So she's wanting to pass her final round of the turn to keep the guy to carry it over to the next turn.

I haven't seen passing mentioned in the rules, so I'm assuming it's not allowed, but I can see it argued both ways. Passing is a wasted round for the player so it's already a negative, but forcing them to play might be just as negative because they didn't get to use it in the manner they desired.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately passing your turn is not allowed, you must play a card for each of your actions.

Planning your turns around the cards in your hand is really the crux of this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Miner
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a bunch ,, never have passed.I do not remember seeing that in rulebook.I would think no passing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense to me. Thanks for the quick response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last game of Bruge I played I passed every single time it was my turn. This increased my enjoyment of the game substantially.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Last game of Bruge I played I passed every single time it was my turn. This increased my enjoyment of the game substantially.

OMG, David! I knew this wasn't your fave Feld but this game is such a tactical delight, I'm surprised at your response. Ah, well, at least there are lots of other Felds for you to choose from--can't love 'em all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamadallama wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

OMG, David! I knew this wasn't your fave Feld but this game is such a tactical delight, I'm surprised at your response. Ah, well, at least there are lots of other Felds for you to choose from--can't love 'em all!

My taste for Feld games has diminished quite a bit recently. When I play some of his titles now, I cannot seem to shake the feeling that what I am accomplishing in the game is of very little consequence and/or interest. I added a brick to a canal. I moved a dude up the prestige track. I turned in a card to get some coins. *sigh* I do enjoy some of his games still, but I also feel like some of the complexity is shoved in just to make it more complex and I feel like I am just pulling levers. I am gravitating to more economic games and games with a spatial element where players must interfere and outmaneuver each other in meaningful ways. I still like Castles of Burgundy because I still do get a sense of accomplishing something by expanding my "kingdom" as much as possible. I also do not feel like CoB has a lot of unnecessary mechanics that just get in the way. I would still play and enjoy a game of Macao every once and a while. But most of Feld's titles just seem to annoy me now. Tastes change I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered the same thing myself last night. Towards the end of the game I played a card for two workers (which I didn't really need or want) because the only other possible option for that card was to take 1 coin. I'm not sure passing would have helped in that situation but I can see how you might have two cards of the 'right' colours (e.g. for finishing your canal section) and no money, so you want to hang on to both for your next turn.

But as someone else said, managing your hand of cards is the essence of this game. In theory your wife could have foreseen the consequences of playing the extra card and chosen not to do it.

This is definitely a game when you have to work out at the start of the round how you are going to use your four cards - and possibly have to revise your plans immediately after someone else takes their action. (As in "great, I can lay three canals this round and take majority" / "Oh no, he's adding more canals, I can't gain majority after all; what's plan B?")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Mamadallama wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

My taste for Feld games has diminished quite a bit recently. When I play some of his titles now, I cannot seem to shake the feeling that what I am accomplishing in the game is of very little consequence and/or interest. I added a brick to a canal. I moved a dude up the prestige track. I turned in a card to get some coins. *sigh* I do enjoy some of his games still, but I also feel like some of the complexity is shoved in just to make it more complex and I feel like I am just pulling levers. I am gravitating to more economic games and games with a spatial element where players must interfere and outmaneuver each other in meaningful ways. I still like Castles of Burgundy because I still do get a sense of accomplishing something by expanding my "kingdom" as much as possible. I also do not feel like CoB has a lot of unnecessary mechanics that just get in the way. I would still play and enjoy a game of Macao every once and a while. But most of Feld's titles just seem to annoy me now. Tastes change I guess.

I have mentioned in a recent Notre Dame review that I prefer and admire Feld's earlier works due to their simple yet elegant designs. Some of his more recent games I find a bit...convoluted or a rehash of earlier mechanics. I have 6 of his titles, but from now one will wait and see which of his future ones have something really unique and new before purchasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hopkins
United States
Huntington Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
Mamadallama wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

I have mentioned in a recent Notre Dame review that I prefer and admire Feld's earlier works due to their simple yet elegant designs. Some of his more recent games I find a bit...convoluted or a rehash of earlier mechanics. I have 6 of his titles, but from now one will wait and see which of his future ones have something really unique and new before purchasing.

That's interesting, and nice review of Notre Dame, by the way (love that game!). Can you give an example of what you think is convoluted or a rehash (serious question, I'm really interested and not trolling).

Having played (and owning) most of his designs, I think that Feld's two strongest efforts have been among his more recent - Bora Bora and Trajan. While there is a lot going on the "mini-games" in Trajan, the slickness of the Mancala design is among his most elegant, I believe, and all my games of Bora Bora have been terrifically tense affairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rhopkins wrote:
freddieyu wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
Mamadallama wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

That's interesting, and nice review of Notre Dame, by the way (love that game!). Can you give an example of what you think is convoluted or a rehash (serious question, I'm really interested and not trolling).

Having played (and owning) most of his designs, I think that Feld's two strongest efforts have been among his more recent - Bora Bora and Trajan. While there is a lot going on the "mini-games" in Trajan, the slickness of the Mancala design is among his most elegant, I believe, and all my games of Bora Bora have been terrifically tense affairs.

I would say Trajan is by far the most convoluted. I personally think Bruges and CoB are his best work - a great mix of decision making and dynamic gameplay. The majority mechanic in Bruges is so simple but adds a fantastic tension to the game.

I can't see pfctsqr's point about accomplishment at all. In my mind, adding a tile in CoB doesn't feel gloriously different to building a house in Bruges. But hey, we play Feld games for the ingenious mechanics rather than the overwhelming themefest, amirite!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slimo wrote:

I can't see pfctsqr's point about accomplishment at all. In my mind, adding a tile in CoB doesn't feel gloriously different to building a house in Bruges. But hey, we play Feld games for the ingenious mechanics rather than the overwhelming themefest, amirite!

Play a game of Railways of the World and after the game is over look at the board and look at what you accomplished during the game and then compare that to ANY of Feld's games and you will know what I mean. But I still prefer CoB to Bruges because in CoB you can look at your player board at the beginning of the game and have somewhat of a plan of what you want to accomplish throughout the game, I do get much more of a feeling of accomplishment of filling up a town area of eight hexes than I do of completing a canal in Bruges. I may not be able to give you a scientific reason as to why, but I just do. But comparing CoB to Bruge, I just think there is more long term planning available in CoB than there is in Bruge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
slimo wrote:

Play a game of Railways of the World and after the game is over look at the board and look at what you accomplished during the game and then compare that to ANY of Feld's games and you will know what I mean. But I still prefer CoB to Bruges because in CoB you can look at your player board at the beginning of the game and have somewhat of a plan of what you want to accomplish throughout the game, I do get much more of a heeling of accomplishment of filling up a town area of eight hexes than I do of completing a canal in Bruges. I may not be able to give you a scientific reason as to why, but I just do. But comparing CoB to Bruge, I just think there is more long term planning available in CoB than there is in Bruge.

No doubt Bruges is more about how best to utilise the cards you draw, but that is what makes it a superb game in my eyes. It is forever giving you tough decisions to make about how best to utilise what you drew - although the control you have over card colour and the speed of the game is genius!

It is a bit unfair to compare rail-themed games in terms of the physical state of the board at the end of the game - of course it looks more impressive! It's covered in trains!! But my point was Bruges does give you a feel of your part of the city that you have crafted - the houses, the people, the canals...not like we are playing Dominion here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhopkins wrote:
freddieyu wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
Mamadallama wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

Rehash in terms of "feel" - Amerigo for me gives a similar feel to The Castles of Burgundy and Macao, although it uses the cube tower as it's method of randomness. As a fan of the cube tower in Shogun, I was very interested in this, but after watching several reviews I said "Hey its just the boat movement and filling up of areas mechanic that I have seen before"...

Convoluted - many will argue with me on this, but I feel that Bora Bora has a tad too many things going on. As I already have Trajan, that was my upper limit in terms of a point salad game I would have.

In contrast, I like both Bruges and Rialto. They bring something "new" within his scope of games (well not really new, since we have seen games which uses cards in different ways before, as well as area control) and it was nice to see Feld's take on those mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.