Wil Young
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really enjoying this guy in my solo game as a risk shifting plundering machine. Now the time has come to pick my first skill feat, and I am kind of stuck. I am actually thinking of going with intelligence or wisdom to better plunder, but I am not sure.

Strategy question the first: What skill feats have you picked up for Ranzak, and in what order?

Also, I am currently playing him with Valeros and Lem. Not sure I like Lem in the group, but it has been helpful when you need the arcane & divine rolls, but Lem works best when he is with the group, and Ranzak works really well when he can shiftt banes encountered monsters to Valeros without the random element that comes into play when they are all at the same location. I am thinking of switching to either Harsk or Lini for the third. Lini for the wisdom and the heals and the ability to handle herself at a location alone, or Harsk for his ability to help from another location.

Strategy question the second: What groups have you found to work well with Ranzak? What group sizes? How do you split them up?

Strategy question C: What other advice do you have for playing Ranzak?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
Answer the first: I tend to dump all my stuff into Dex. I mean, he's good at it, it's going to be his combat stat in case of "you cannot evade this dude" banes or uncooperative/dead party members, and it lets him pick up some of the things (mostly weapons) he'd actually want. Most of the time, his stats don't actually matter that much, just be as good as you can at grabbing stuff.

Answer Jr.: The best group for Ranzak is one tough combatant who has a lot of endurance. Someone who will be able to win 3 or 4 back to back combats if Ranzak has a crazy turn pulling blessings and allies out of a location deck. A selfishly good combatant. Valeros isn't the best choice because has +1d4 is almost never going to help Ranzak. Amiri might be cool. She can manipulate her presence/absence from locations, and has a lot of rage. I don't remember the RotRL characters that well. As for the rest of the group, anything that would be one or more good groups with Ranzak and Combatant A permanently off spending some quality time together. A bunch of solo characters, another full party, whatever. It's all good. Ranzak doesn't need any other special support, aside from holding on to a blessing if you think Ranzak might find a boon you want.

Answer III, Esq.: Ranzak blows up locations. He blows them up so hard. +1/+3 to acquire boons is hugely a priority for him. Exploring again on 3+ is also huge. If those aren't your first feats for him, you are making Ranzak cry. And goblins don't even know how to cry. It's really bad.

Ranzak loves to cast spells. When he doesn't have enough spells to rebuild his deck, he just gets to pick whatever spell he wants (insofar as the rules let him, anyway). Don't let anyone acquire spells they don't want, except Ezren. Even then, see if he will let you burn them before the game ends.

Ranzak is bipolar. In games with few characters, he's best at pumping out extra explores from boon acquisition and getting double duty out of your best combatant. In games with a large party, he will wreck his hand every turn exploring, exploring, and exploring again, basically banking on the fact the game will be over before he runs out of cards, or the fact that someone can toss him a heal. His armor will stop him from unexpected death, hopefully. At least once.

Ranzak loves having a huge hand size. His relative safety from ever having to encounter banes, coupled with his oddball stats means he's the perfect character to have a toolbelt assortment of items and allies. Of course, when you have one of everything, it helps you to be able to hold most of it at any given time. A MW Tools does you no good if it's sitting on top of your deck.

Ranzak is best when he has lots of extra explores. So pick up those extra blessings and allies for card feats.

There's some more advice somewhere in here, but it's late. Just do cool stuff and let everyone else fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil Young
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I added Seelah to the party and the four of them are now doing great. I'm still iffy on Lem, and currently Lem would be the one to go if I drop back to 3.

I went with Dex on the first couple of skill points, but I am still trying to decide for the next set. It seems like it would be a waste not to boost stats to acquire since that's what he does, and the fact that his extra explores require a success in acquiring.

I guess it also partially depends on whether I plan to go Wrecker or Klepto. I am still undecided at this point as both look very fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
Seelah's a good pick, I think. She never doesn't have her blessing power. I can see Lem being iffy. He's a mediocre 4th for those three, and a terrible 3rd.

As far as I'm concerned, Klepto is a mandatory role. It's the difference between d4+1 and d4+3 to acquire. +3 is so important when boons start getting hard to pick up. Going with Wrecker is to build completely counter to his greatest natural strength: giving the fights to really fighty guys. If you just wanted to be good at fighting/closing, you could've played Seelah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have my ranzak coupled with Seelah and well, he is doing ok.

I am bumping dex, and then probably intelligence(acquiring and burning spells is fun!)

My only issue is healing... He has come mighty mighty close to perishing numerous times...in my opinion he needs a cure spell or healing potion(this should have been basic..grrr...), or the ally which you can bury to cure you (father zantus?). give him daggers! for the odd encounter he has to face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coyote81 aka Token
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Don't give up on Lem, he seems a little on the iffy side early on, but he really does become something of a powerhouse later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam "Rolling Solo" Smith
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Play or interested in the growing world of solo play? Check out youtube.com/RollingSolo
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started playing Pathfinder and I believe Ranzak was supposed to fill his starting deck with whatever is leftover after the rest of the party has completed their pre-set decks. I thought (being new) that it was overpowered to pick out of the box what you want. So I blindly picked.

I didn't realize it at the time but I got extremely lucky and pulled a Cure Spell and Father Zantus. Didn't think much of it when I did but about halfway through the game I was glad I had them. Lucky starting pull. Pretty sure Ranzak would be in a bad spot if those two cards weren't in his deck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unequalled wrote:
I just started playing Pathfinder and I believe Ranzak was supposed to fill his starting deck with whatever is leftover after the rest of the party has completed their pre-set decks. I thought (being new) that it was overpowered to pick out of the box what you want. So I blindly picked.

I didn't realize it at the time but I got extremely lucky and pulled a Cure Spell and Father Zantus. Didn't think much of it when I did but about halfway through the game I was glad I had them. Lucky starting pull. Pretty sure Ranzak would be in a bad spot if those two cards weren't in his deck!

Ranzak is supposed to choose from what is in the box after others have picked, but he is still supposed to be limited to cards with the Basic trait. Father Zantus doesn't have the Basic trait, so he wouldn't be able to be included in a starting deck. Cure would be fine though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.