Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Colosseum» Forums » General

Subject: A game that is equal or better than Colosseum...since it's out of print. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin M
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple friends that would like to purchase Colosseum, but can't since it's out of print. They're not interested in spending the $100+ on eBay. They like the mechanics and the feel of the game. I don't believe the theme itself is a big deal either way.

With this in mind, any suggestions for another game, that would be equal to or better than Colosseum? All opinions welcome.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'll save you a seat at the table!
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
That's a bit of a tough one, but looking for an auction, set collection with carryover items, figure movement with good quality components I would say Yedo. Now, Yedo is certainly tougher and longer but you can adjust the difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Levine
United States
Clinton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I played it, I thought of it as being a not quite as good version of Princes of Florence. See this thread for a comparison from someone else who shares this view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Circus Train by Victory Point games. It shares a lot of mechanics (but has no auctions/trading). The shows are on the board and anyone can perform them by moving to the city.

It has a very similar vibe, plays relatively quickly, AND plays two (if that's a thing for you, which it is for me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KoolKow wrote:
When I played it, I thought of it as being a not quite as good version of Princes of Florence. See this thread for a comparison from someone else who shares this view.

I'd rather play Colosseum (nearly) any day. Princes of Florence is 'alright' but our group found it on the dry side, good for a play once in a blue moon.

Circus Train sounds like a good possibility, although I haven't played that one.

Yedo also looks interesting, and one I wouldn't mind trying out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second (third?) Circus Train (Second edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjørnar Løseth
Norway
Bergen
Hordaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KoolKow wrote:

I love Colosseum, and actually gave away Princes of Florence after realizing that _Colosseum_ was the better game (IMO). :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin M
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies everybody. We'll have to check out those suggestions. Any others out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just for back from vacation with my family and we played Lords of Vegas and had a blast.
I own Colosseum and have found it fun, but not a game everyone is clamoring to get back to the table (I am actually looking to trade it).

Lords of Vegas does not have auctions, but the trading is much more dynamic and intense, and the game doesn't seem too take as long because players turns are short and there is usually some trade offers being throw a round.

I know these games are not exact matches but I would highly recommend checking out Lords of Vegas. Joel Eddy just did a great video review.

Cheers,
Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin M
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McPherson
Australia
Tuggeranong
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think about throwing Drum Roll in there as well, if you like the idea of putting on a show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing I thought was most interesting about this game is the auction followed by trading mechanic. When deciding what to bid on and how much to bid you also have to consider what trading leverage you'll have in addition to what the tile will do for you directly.

Does anyone know of any other games with a similar auction / trade mechanic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's odd to compare a game about modern musicals with a game set in ancient Rome. And it's true that the two games don't actually share many mechanics other than set collection and recipe fulfillment. But there are some real similarities between Colosseum and Show Manager. In both games, players are collecting elements that are required to stage productions. Each different production requires a particular set of roles. While it is possible to stage a show with a collection of elements that doesn't exactly match the suggested cast, this will score fewer points. In both games, some productions are staged primarily for financial reward. Income gained in this way is then used to purchase elements required for other, higher scoring productions.

Note: Atlantic Star is a re-themed version of Show Manager that was released in 2001. And in 2010, Queen games republished the original game with updated artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.