Subject: Can you play solo as any faction? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Wilson
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I was a tad disappointed that A Distant Plain wasn't designed for solo play as Government or Warlords. (I minor blemish on a great game.)

Will Fire in the Lake let you play as any of the four factions solitaire?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
something wrote:
I was a tad disappointed that A Distant Plain wasn't designed for solo play as Government or Warlords. (I minor blemish on a great game.)

Will Fire in the Lake let you play as any of the four factions solitaire?

Thanks!

Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Wilson
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
Great! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand.
Volko went to a great deal of trouble to write four bots for all four players in ADP; why couldn't you just play as any one faction you want, and let the other three run as bots?

For that matter, you could have all four run as bots, and be spectator to a zero-player game....

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Wilson
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
ltmurnau wrote:
I don't understand.
Volko went to a great deal of trouble to write four bots for all four players in ADP; why couldn't you just play as any one faction you want, and let the other three run as bots?

For that matter, you could have all four run as bots, and be spectator to a zero-player game....

Brian

The solitaire game has some rule changes from the multiplayer game: victory conditions, the actions a bot can take. Also, though I admittedly haven't tried it yet, it seems the balance would be off if you played solitaire as Warlords or Gov against the bots. (Too difficult for the player.) By my understanding, the game wasn't designed and playtested for a solitaire player to be the warlords or Gov, correct? That doesn't make it impossible of course, but I'm happy to hear that Fire in the Lake is designed with solitaire play for any of the four factions in mind. (Again, a minor blemish on A Distant Plain out of all its goodness!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC Principal
Finland
Joensuu
flag msg tools
TRIGGERED!
badge
SOCAIL JUSTIEC!
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
why couldn't you just play as any one faction you want, and let the other three run as bots?

Setup, p. 19:

Quote:
Then assign each a Faction:
1-player—Coalition or Taliban

Rule 1.5, p. 4:

Quote:
The 1st player plays the Coalition (tan) or the Taliban (black)

I also was slightly disappointed that you can't (by strictly following the rules) solo the Warlords (or the Government).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you're right, by strictly following the rules you can't do that.
But there is nothing stopping you from trying out a solo Government or Warlords; I mean, lightning won't strike you or anything like that (however, your children will grow up to be a disappointment to you.)
If you apply the same "who won by getting the closest" logic, you should be able to figure out on your own if you won or not - I am guessing this is just what Mark and Volko did for Fire in the Lake.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite so, nothing stopping you from paying as Govt or Warlords against the others -- the bots are there. We just didn't test nor optimize them for those player roles. My guess is that playing factions other than Coalition or Taliban would make solitaire, if anything, easier on the player, as the bots would not be picking on the player as much.

We did go farther in FL -- by "we", I'm including solitaire systems developer Oerjan Ariander (Father of Bots) -- and tried and tested to make all four solo roles equally challenging and viable. In part this was possible, I think, because we are getting better at designing the solitaire system as we go.

vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hansen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
2/68th Armor: Silver Lions!
mbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
Quite so, nothing stopping you from paying as Govt or Warlords against the others -- the bots are there. We just didn't test nor optimize them for those player roles. My guess is that playing factions other than Coalition or Taliban would make solitaire, if anything, easier on the player, as the bots would not be picking on the player as much.

We did go farther in FL -- by "we", I'm including solitaire systems developer Oerjan Ariander (Father of Bots) -- and tried and tested to make all four solo roles equally challenging and viable. In part this was possible, I think, because we are getting better at designing the solitaire system as we go.

vfr

If the bot design is getting better does that mean that the previous game bots may be enhanced? Perhaps new versions being released in a C3i or here on the geek as a resource?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:

Brian

Perhaps we should submit a correction to the BGG page under number of players: "0-4"

It could be the Spinal Tap of the boardgame world: "This one goes to zero!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kime
United Kingdom
Brimfield
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, ...it's one lower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:

"Father of Bots"? Only for the CL and FL ones, surely... modest

No doubt we're getting more experienced with the bot designs; but a major difference was the basic realization that no matter what rule 1.5 says about which factions the players should pick first, most players will pick any faction they want to anyway!

When designing the CL bots, we assumed that NP Government or M26 would always be accompanied by NP Syndicate or DR respectively (since that was what rule 1.5 required), so I at least never even considered that GovBot might need to take down a player Syndicate or that M26bot might want to attack player Directorio. (Same for ADP, too.) In FL we didn't make any such assumptions, which almost automatically resulted in more self-reliant bots.

Later,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kixdsky wrote:
If the bot design is getting better does that mean that the previous game bots may be enhanced? Perhaps new versions being released in a C3i or here on the geek as a resource?

Probably released here on the geek first, and if the variants survive the comments and critisisms recieved they might be included in a reprint or C3i.

I'm working on updated CL bots, and have a quick-and-dirty fixes for GovBot and M26bot that work reasonably well for 3-player games with NP Govt or M26; but getting GovBot to attack player Syndicate enough to give a solo Mob player a challenge will probably take a fairly major redesign.

Unfortunately, there's a fair bit of conflict between updating the bots for the older games and developing new games... especially since I was between jobs during the CL and much of the FL developments, so I had plenty of time for playtests. Now I have a job again, which is very nice from the pay-rent-and-buy-food point of view but severely restricts how much time I can spend on game development (or even on posting stuff here on BGG) I suspect that Volko faces similar time constraints too, though he's obviously more active here than I am

Later,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Oerjan wrote:

"Father of Bots"? Only for the CL and FL ones, surely... modest

Nothing to be modest about there. The Syndicate and Directorio bots are fearsome opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kixdsky wrote:
Volko wrote:

vfr

Yes!

We already tightened Andean Abyss Non-player Rally a touch in C3i. Oerjan Ariander has an AA Govbot in work. I have offered a Govbot Train variant for A Distant Plain elsewhere on BGG. And we intend similar small improvements to the Non-Players in the reprints in prospect, now that all 3 volumes sold out at GMT.

Thanks for asking! Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoffrey,

Yes, and as a playtester who did lots of solitaire play, the bots (all of them) are vicious! Plays great no matter which faction you choose to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.