Subject: Some play questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) okay, component question first:why so many engagement tokens? It seems you wouldn't be able to engage more than 5 ships per turn. Am I missing something?

2)how do you prevent a snowball? With 2x player ships at start you have the potential to easily add 2-3 ships per turn even with full engagement. Is there a way to counter the snowball? We've only played 1 1/2 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kuehl
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
1) okay, component question first:why so many engagement tokens? It seems you wouldn't be able to engage more than 5 ships per turn. Am I missing something?

This is something I missed in the rules that I was confused about too. Apparently, you're supposed to mark your ship panel with an engagement token too. Presumably, this is to make it easier to track effects that trigger from engagements. I don't see it as necessary, but that's why the extras are there.

Quote:
2)how do you prevent a snowball? With 2x player ships at start you have the potential to easily add 2-3 ships per turn even with full engagement. Is there a way to counter the snowball? We've only played 1 1/2 games.

There are several ways that I've found so far:

1. Concentrate on buying up boosts and equipment that flip to produce spawning effects (this requires meta knowledge that most people I play with don't have, so we don't do it often, but it's an option). The icons on the cards can help with this a little bit. A star denotes a ship on the back, a cross-hairs denotes a boost.

2. Use bounties, boosts, and techs that deal damage outside the battle phase to take down multiple ships in a turn and keep ahead of things. Claw and Grey Hammer excel at this from the start thanks to ramming and bomb techs.

3. Use scrap effects tactically to kill ships and disable spawns. There are many situational examples for this. One that comes to mind are the blockaders for the syndicate. You can lure them to a specific system using techs or a ship like Wrath and then blow them up to stop an overrun and prevent up to three spawns.

4. Tactically move ships around to stack them in an already maxed sector. If a sector is at its fleet limit, it's not going to spawn any more ships and it's likely already overrun. Granted, ships can still move due to other effects, but many tend to move towards the most crowded sector, which will have no effect. Even if enemy movement is a problem, you can focus fire on these enemies to prevent them from leaving. We once moved the entire opposition fleet to one sector to give us some breathing room. One caveat, this won't work against certain flagships that move things around a lot.

I'll probably think of other ways later, but those are my thoughts for now. I've only played normal mode so far and have yet to lose a game. Good luck out there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I fully endorse everything Trevor said. Fantastic advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
We messed up a lot of rules in our first game, but having a non-attack method of energy removal (like the Grey Hammer (?) ship) seems like a big deal. A lot of the ships we saw had 5 or 6 toughness with 3 attack at the start. So even with a combined six attack between techs, boosts, or secondary engager bonus, you aren't actually doing anything. You kind of need some method of extra energy removal ability like a bomb to reduce the shields down to the point where early game attacks can actually hurt enemies.

Otherwise you need a lot of damage upgrades to be able to make significant headway against enemy shields, which takes time. Without energy removal, you might be doing zero to only a few damage in the first round, so even if you gain 3 attack in the second install the target still might not die. That's a long time for a target to live, during which things are getting worse elsewhere. And the sooner you can start killing something, the sooner you can collect helpful bounties which can make your ship even stronger - as well as deny the special traits of the enemy ship. Getting an extra energy early on can accelerate your progression, since it'll help you start doing damage through shields or ignore attacks so you can win other fights faster.

Kind of like how in Sentinels having a Ra, Haka or something who can just deal damage without needing specific cards or set up can really help keep the board under control in the early game or after some reset card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:

In the games that I play, I find that having Grey Hammer really helps. Grey Hammer can take out an enemy ship in the first round. I would just look to see which ship I can take out that would give me the best advantage. Sometimes the bounty helps. Last game, GH took out a ship whose bounty is that it prevents station cards from being flipped. That meant that the second ship in the sector won't cause another card to flip. In this situation GH took out one ship and prevented 2 station cards from begin flipped. The other ship (in my 2-player game) would simply engage another ship and deal some damage. This leaves only one other unengaged ship which flips a station card.

So far, I feel that Grey Hammer seems so important because he can take out an enemy ship in the first turn. I'm going to see if I can have success without needing the Grey Hammer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.