Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gameplayer guy
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading through the deck builder tool kit rules, it states that after you play instants or sorceries, you do what it says than put into the graveyard.

The basic rules on the WotC website say to put the instants and sorceries into the stack and resolve from top card (last card played) down to bottom card (first card played).

The net effect would be very different if I followed the rules in the deck builder tool kit. Anyone know the reason for the rule discrepancy? And which rule should I follow?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have the toolkit, but I would go with using the stack. Sounds like the toolkit rules are just the basics to get people started, although worded badly.

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
Use the stack, the toolkit rules seem to omit some steps just to simplify things for beginners. But the real rules should be the same for every product, it's been that way since they stopped with Portal sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Richter
United States
Ruskin
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like above, the tool kit rules are a more simplistic version of the game. It is a beginner's toolkit. But I would go with going through the "stack".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
As the others says the toolkit rules are apperently the ones for beginners. The stack is apperently one of the things people find most confusing in Magic (and the stack is just a metaphysical temporary object, so it is not exactly wrong to put it like that)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gameplayer guy
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. I got an official response from WotC and they agree with you:

"The rules in the deckbuilders toolkit are more simplified for newer players. The second description your provided is a better description of what you would do in a game."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
As the others says the toolkit rules are apperently the ones for beginners. The stack is apperently one of the things people find most confusing in Magic (and the stack is just a metaphysical temporary object, so it is not exactly wrong to put it like that)

It's not temporary. It's a game zone that always exists, one single stack from deal to defeat. It is oftentimes empty (as often are other zones, like graveyard or exile), but it still exists, non-temporarily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.