Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Russian Railroads» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scoring tracks doesn't work like I thought I guess rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Rhodes
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
I have been under a misapprehension that each track scores for its position and for _each_ position behind it. As in, if I have a grey track advanced ten spaces down the line and the brown track advanced five spaces down the line, the brown track would score ten points (two times five) and the grey track would score ten points as well (one times ten).

But now I learn that actually the grey track will only score for the five spaces it occupies _after_ the brown track. So the brown track scores ten, but the grey track scores only five points.

That's right?

This makes it hard for me to see how getting the higher scoring tracks out is really worth the effort. I've been thinking that the white track scores seven points per space (14 if doubled)--but actually, it's only three points per space! (Because to advanec to a space, the space must already have been occupied by the four-point scoring natural track.)

If I'm right about what the rule is, then what am I missing about how viable the white (and even the natural) tracks are as point scorers?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
You are right, the white track is only a nett gain of 3 points per space and 6 points if the x2 marker is there. It may not seem like much, but when accumulated, it makes a big difference these meager points.

A few things to note, when you get the white track, it immediately moves 2 spaces, so that is already 6 points so to speak

But the advantage of the white track is that it's hard to get out, so once you have it and no one else does, the white track advancement spaces on the main board cannot be blocked from you. It's as good as your personal spaces till someone gets their white track out

Now, if you use the bonus chit modifier for the scoring of colored tracks, the white is a whole new ball game to you

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Rhodes
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
I have yet to be able to get the white track out til the second to last round. (I've only played 2p so far). (And that's ignoring my failures to get high enough locomotives out to make effective use of it.)

How early should one be able to get it out?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Speusippus wrote:
I have yet to be able to get the white track out til the second to last round. (I've only played 2p so far). (And that's ignoring my failures to get high enough locomotives out to make effective use of it.)

How early should one be able to get it out?


If you focus hard on it, I think its possible to get it out on 3rd or 4th round.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
Speusippus wrote:
I have yet to be able to get the white track out til the second to last round. (I've only played 2p so far). (And that's ignoring my failures to get high enough locomotives out to make effective use of it.)

How early should one be able to get it out?


If you focus hard on it, I think its possible to get it out on 3rd or 4th round.
I'm not sure that it's a good plan for a two player game. It would probably work better in a game with more players.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Rhodes
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Can you say more about strategic differences between 2p games and other games? What strategies are better in each type, and why?

Not asking for a strategy manual just some ideas about how to think about the game.

Right now it seems to me this isn't one where you have to opportunistically shift tactics from round to round--given the accelerated point gain for going down particular point pathways, it seems like you have to pick a "main idea" from the beginning and stick with it. Is this accurate?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe J. Rushanan
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Board Gamers Never Are
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Speusippus wrote:
Right now it seems to me this isn't one where you have to opportunistically shift tactics from round to round--given the accelerated point gain for going down particular point pathways, it seems like you have to pick a "main idea" from the beginning and stick with it. Is this accurate?


Yes. While there are ways to win depending on where one concentrates, I think it is important to choose one. Trying to do all four tracks has not worked in any of the games I've seen.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen games where briefly delaying your choice (leaving two options open) has worked, especially if you are later in turn order.

Also, always be open to entering the engineer race. Sometimes people forget their importance (or rather, neglect them to focus on their main strategy).

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The best strategies depend on the engineers available, what the other players are doing, and what the other players under-value.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Speusippus wrote:
I have been under a misapprehension that each track scores for its position and for _each_ position behind it. As in, if I have a grey track advanced ten spaces down the line and the brown track advanced five spaces down the line, the brown track would score ten points (two times five) and the grey track would score ten points as well (one times ten).

But now I learn that actually the grey track will only score for the five spaces it occupies _after_ the brown track. So the brown track scores ten, but the grey track scores only five points.

Rahdo and I had a similar misunderstanding. See this thread.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.