11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best 4 player game in my collection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leslie Hewlett
msg tools
mbmb
Fellow geeks I need some advice on which game or games to bring with me on a week long holiday.

I primarily play 2 player but we will be 4 player for the 7 days and I'm therefore not sure what the best would be having never played any of them this way. I have more but the shortlist to choose from is:

Amerigo
Tzolk'in
Village
Castles of burgundy
Twilight struggle
Dominion
Race for the galaxy

As an aside I have 7 wonders on order which should arrive in time

I'd also consider recommendations for uk available games that I can learn quickly in order to teach the other members of the family who are all adults pretty smart but not hardcore gamers

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of those I'd say Dominion.

Easiest to teach and goes down well with gamers and non namers alike.

It just so happens I went away a couple of weeks ago with my other half and another couple, who aren't gamers. I took Dominion and 7 Wonders and everyone enjoyed both.

Before we went I was hopeful of getting one or 2 games in, but we ended up playing loads, one night we played for hours!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's remove twilight struggle right away as it doesn't support 4.

I prefer Tzolk'in and Village at 4. By quite a margin. I tried Village at 2 and thought it was terrible. I tried it again at 4 and thought it was great. Tzolk'in is a little more balanced at 4 as there aren't any dummy players.

RftG and Castles of Burgundy are best at 2, but still very good at 4. If you are going to play the same game repeatedly, RftG is the better choice as it will take a few plays to get them through the Symbolic language, otherwise avoid it.

I really dislike Dominion and that's partly because in most set ups you can get up and make yourself a cup of tea whilst you are waiting for your turn.

Quick easy games you can learn from the rulebook
Hanabi
Suburbia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong, Dominion is listed as my all time favorite game. However, I don't like it with four players. Downtimes are too long and what should last 20-30 minutes, can now be a 60-90 slogfest with four players.

Of the games you listed, Tzolkin is designed as a four player game. When played with fewer players, you compensate for the lack of players with dummy action pawns that clog up the gears. From this list, I would select Tzolkin as my four player go to.

That said, Tzolk'in, while not a heavy game, certainly has a lot going on and throws a lot of information to new gamers. Anyone with experience in Euros would pick it up rather quickly as the gears are the only unique part of the game and everything else has been seen before in many other games.

7 Wonders will work great with four players as well, but like Tzolkin might take some effort from the non-gamers to fully understand the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Uhrich
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzolk'in is the best of the games you've listed for four players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Village is probably the best with 4 out of the games you've listed, but if you get 7 Wonders in time, go with that one. I haven't played it with all numbers, but I've enjoyed my 4-player games of 7 Wonders the most.

Also, others may disagree, but I think Castles of Burgundy is great at 4. There isn't much added downtime, and the choices you have are increased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Village would be my pick of those.
I very much like Puerto Rico with 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lazzaro

Schaumburg
Illinois
msg tools
While I feel Dominion is the better game, I think 3 is it's sweet spot. I would go with 1. Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar and 2. The Castles of Burgundy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to be a foursome for the week, it would be a rotten shame not to have a deck of Tichu cards. Partnership trick taking games a perfect for vacations and Tichu is one of the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Hanabi
Also Forbidden Desert/Island
All available, easy to teach and good with both 2 and 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Tzolk'in here.

I also think Tichu is a wise choice.

I found Hanabi gets boring after a few plays--and that can be done all in one sitting since it plays so quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.