Michael Bending
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Question about Skill Check Ability Cards and Revealed Cylons:

A lot of "Skill Check Ability" Skill Cards have text that reads: "Current Player does/gets/chooses X" and we wondering if these cards trigger on turns of Revealed Cylons.

At first, we were thinking that it probably did (because we couldn't find anything saying otherwise) but when we were playing last night the card "dogfight" came up during a revealed cylons super crisis. My understanding is that based on the text of this card, he could now use dogfight to damage any viper or assault raptor, even one that is piloted AND get rid of a skill card in that check that he didn't like.

We thought this seemed unlikely to be how these cards work and at the very least it seems to go against the intent of these cards. That being said, for the life of me I couldn't find anything in the rules that seemed to give an answer either way. Does anyone know if this actually works this way? And if so if there are any exceptions/limitations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hendrik R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
That is how these cards work. The Daybreak 0-strength cards are all designed to be double-edged swords with potential to wreak havoc in the right situation. Dogfight is one of the stronger ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. The ones that don't affect cylons clearly say "if the current player is human".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Furunkel wrote:
That is how these cards work. The Daybreak 0-strength cards are all designed to be double-edged swords with potential to wreak havoc in the right situation. Dogfight is one of the stronger ones.
Ironically enough, this is one reason why Daybreak would cylons to reveal... it lets revealed cylons safely use Force Their Hand, Quick Thinking, or Dogfight to do something bad. And if they're unrevealed, they won't be able to do it for long.

OTOH, it does give revealed cylons more activity.

oriecat wrote:
Agreed. The ones that don't affect cylons clearly say "if the current player is human".
I don't think the revised XO explicitly says you can target revealed cylons with that (it just says one XO per turn), but overall, this is still true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bending
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah... part of me figured that you can do that but just didn't want to believe it because it seemed potentially almost too powerful. Thanks for the info.

(also as a side note the Base Game Official FAQ says that revealed cylon players cannot be the targets of XO's)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

oriecat wrote:
I don't think the revised XO explicitly says you can target revealed cylons with that (it just says one XO per turn), but overall, this is still true.

Well I wasn't talking about cards in general, but the skill check abilities specifically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

oriecat wrote:

Well I wasn't talking about cards in general, but the skill check abilities specifically.
I see. I thought that comment of yours suggested that anything that only worked on humans would explicitly say that on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.