Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing Talisman since the 80's and enjoyed Timescape as well. And while Timescape is very good, it wasn't my favorite. Not due to a lack of anything, or poor design, but because I loved the Master Characters and the play of the City expansion more.

So would a Talisman fan like Relic, especially if they don't know anything about Warhammer 40,000?

Is the Warhammer 40,000 presence in Relic generic enough to be an enjoyable sci-fi feel?

I don't know the Warhammer 40,000 universe at all, and from a distance seems not even interesting to me.

There is that odd and different unknowing feel of that universe within Relic, but it doesn't completely take over the generic sci-fi experience. But it is there.

I am a fan of both sci-fi and fantasy, but in general I do prefer fantasy, but a good sci-fi setting can be better than a poor fantasy setting. And this setting is pretty good, not great, as I shared it does have that odd taste.

Relic does have a Talisman 4th edition revised game mechanic and play, but it has been changed enough to make it it's own game. In fact my 12 year old son said it reminded him more of Runebound than Talisman, because of the 3 colors of decks to choose from. Tho in Runebound those colors deal more in levels of difficulty but in Relic they do not. Instead they are categorized "mostly" by the different types of character abilitities.

I also disagree with the small amount of voices who say Talisman should adopt the Relic game mechanics. It would change Talisman into something different. While such a game might be enjoyable, the way Talisman plays is great as is.

Relic is not Talisman, but there is enough similarity that those who know Talisman will recognize it and be able to learn the game faster than those who don't.

Now to those who, like me, are wondering if they should get Relic, being a Talisman fan, it depends. If, like me, you like sci-fi, Talisman, and are unfamiliar with Warhammer 40,000, you probably will like it. If you dislike Warhammer 40,000 with any strength, then the small taste of it within Relic may turn you off. It may be something you would play, but not be a favorite.

I like it. It is not a favorite, and will probably even get the expansion. It's not anywhere on the bottom of my games that I own, more in the middle range of my liking.

I do believe the art and the character stat dials are big enjoyment of the game. And this game will probably be my sci-fi game. I can't think of any other sci-fi board games I own at this time. Well I do own Robo-Rally, if you count that as sci-fi, and its my all time favorite game. I also like Catan and would be interested in the Star Trek version, but have never played it nor owned it.

The decision to get this game was hard. But when when I found it on sale I decided to get it and am glad I did. Hopfuly my review here will help Talisman fans decide if they want this game.

I am not going to spend much time describing the game in detail, which you can find in many other reviews, but will list a few details that Talisman fans may be interested in.

Power cards are the equivalent of spells in Talisman. You are allowed only so many based on your character and level.

Regions are now calls tiers. And the 3 tiers are similar to Talisman regions. Except 3 of the 4 corners allow entry into the middle region. and there is a space to come down into the outer region similar to the Sentinel space.

Gold is now called Influence.

Characters now have distinct leveling.

Cards, spaces, and characters will have similar feel and effects.

The inner region "tier" is not as harsh, because even if you fail, while being punished, you can continue on.

Followers are now allies, and with items, are now lumped into the asset category and each character is allowed a different amount of assets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, one of the most distinct changes is the "exploding 6" - in Talisman, when a Strength 7 Character encounters a Strength 1 Wolf, he smiles a little and takes it as a trophy (or a Strength 1 Character encounters a Strength 7 Dragon ... yummy!).

In Relic, if you roll a 6, the die explodes and you get another die roll, to be added to your first (and this can go on forever). That makes even easy monsters a little dangerous, and now you also have a small chance to win against that Strength 13 Demon ... meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Talisman very much and have played the game many times with my son.

Relic - when it came out - was a sure buy but I was not very fond of it when we played it and we have put it away fast. It feels "not complete".

If you have games with cards - the more the merrier. Therefore I hope that - given some time / expansions - this problem will be solved.

Also I know the background - WH 40k - by name and a bit of its "history" I think that a generic SF - background might be better. I constantly feel as if I missing "something" that is necessary to enjoy the game even more.

Also I found the innermost region really difficult and not as approachable as in Talisman. From the games I played it looked like there was a big "upleveling" before even trying to enter the innermost region since I found the punishments more hard as in Talisman.

One thing I really liked with Relic is that character can't level up until "eternity" - given a playing - group is not interested in speed but "safety first" and the concept of "exploding dice" as explained before.

As said when I played Relic (and I haven't played it very often) it felt like the first part of a two / multi-part game and the background didn't make it "more approachable" for me.

Bought the expansion and will give it a new try after I finish Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.