SanktDavid
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody know?

If not, what is the typical fair to get to the Essen main train station via the S-Bahn, same as the tram and metro?

I tried sorting out this out on the DB website but my deutsch-fu is too weak...


Thanks in advance for any shared insight.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what kind of ticket you have there and from where do you want to get to the Essen main station?

The DB website also is available in English. But they don't offer tickets for metro, tram etc. There you would need a ticket from the local public transportation group (vrr: http://vrr.de/en/index.html )

If you're talking about getting from the airport to Essen, than it's the same costs taking the S-Bahn as taking the regional train (lines RE1, RE2 and RE6). It cost about 10€ (it's a C ticket and they are going to raise prices again in August, so I can't tell you the exact price at the moment).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Laputian wrote:
Anybody know?

If not, what is the typical fair to get to the Essen main train station via the S-Bahn, same as the tram and metro?

I tried sorting out this out on the DB website but my deutsch-fu is too weak...


Thanks in advance for any shared insight.


I don't have an answer, but I do know that how much the fare is depends on where you are coming from, which you don't seem to have mentioned.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SanktDavid
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to rent an apartment, and to get to the Messe, I can either take the tram to the main station, and then metro down, or there looks like there is an S-Bahn line with a stop that is close, and that goes to the main station as well, and it looks like fewer stops (faster). If it is the same price as tram tickets, and/or I could pay for a 3-ride ticket and use both the S-bahn and the Metro, that would be ideal.

If it is substantially more to take the S-bahn, than maybe it is not worth it.

Thanks for your thoughts.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SanktDavid
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the stop:


Essen-Gerschede

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Laputian wrote:
I'm looking to rent an apartment, and to get to the Messe, I can either take the tram to the main station, and then metro down, or there looks like there is an S-Bahn line with a stop that is close, and that goes to the main station as well, and it looks like fewer stops (faster). If it is the same price as tram tickets, and/or I could pay for a 3-ride ticket and use both the S-bahn and the Metro, that would be ideal.

If it is substantially more to take the S-bahn, than maybe it is not worth it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ah ok. Well, it cost the same if you stay with your travel inside of Essen weather you take the bus, the tram, subway or S-Bahn (you could even take a regional train, but I don't think there is a line that stops at two stations inside of Essen). To check the exact price or the best connection you can use the website I linked before. I would just strongly advise against any connection where you get on the U11 after Essen main station.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SanktDavid
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Irgendwer wrote:

Ah ok. Well, it cost the same if you stay with your travel inside of Essen weather you take the bus, the tram, subway or S-Bahn (you could even take a regional train, but I don't think there is a line that stops at two stations inside of Essen). To check the exact price or the best connection you can use the website I linked before. I would just strongly advise against any connection where you get on the U11 after Essen main station.



Excellent, that is what I wanted to find out. Thanks!

Although I am curious now, why not get on the U11 after Essen main station?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it's already hard to find a place on the train at the main station (overcrowding). If you try to get on the train after the main station, you'll find it even harder to get on the train.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SanktDavid
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that makes sense, thanks for the insight.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to be this card:

http://www.essen.de/tourismus_1/touristinformation/essen_wel...

(English website is offline at the moment).

It has local public transportation in the city included. This should include all Deutsche Bahn trains and S-Bahn trains. Note that most S-Bahn trains connect to other cities, so make sure to stay within the city limits or buy the necessary extra ticket.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Laputian wrote:
I'm looking to rent an apartment, and to get to the Messe, I can either take the tram to the main station, and then metro down, or there looks like there is an S-Bahn line with a stop that is close, and that goes to the main station as well, and it looks like fewer stops (faster). If it is the same price as tram tickets, and/or I could pay for a 3-ride ticket and use both the S-bahn and the Metro, that would be ideal.

If it is substantially more to take the S-bahn, than maybe it is not worth it.

Thanks for your thoughts.


Yes, all these belong to the local transportation group VRR and they share the same pricing system. And Essen-Gerschede is obviously within the city of Essen, as is the Messe, so no problem with the welcome card.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SanktDavid
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks very much for the quick responses!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
http://www.essen.de/tourismus_1/touristinformation/essen_wel...

(English website is offline at the moment).

It has local public transportation in the city included. This should include all Deutsche Bahn trains and S-Bahn trains. Note that most S-Bahn trains connect to other cities, so make sure to stay within the city limits or buy the necessary extra ticket.

This seems to be mostly targeted at people who want to stroll around and visit the various touristic locations in Essen, where you'll get reduced prices with the card. For just travelling from A to B and visiting the Messe Essen, a normal ticket would be better. According to the VRR Online information, travelling from Essen-Gerschede to Messe-Ost/Gruga is
Quote:
Tarif: VRR
Preisstufe: A2*
Durchfahrene Waben: 352, 350
Preisstufe: A

and single tickets are available at 2.50 EUR, tickets for 4 rides are 9.40 EUR and a whole-day ticket for within that zone is just 6.50 EUR.

It might be possible to get tickets to the Essen Spiel which have the transportation within Essen included, too, but I don't know about this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.