David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if you can use two generators. I suspect you'd have to get an extra tech on it, but if you could would it be legal or advisable? The downside of an armor generator other than its considerable cost is the fact that when it goes down you can't get your shields back till the end of the turn and by then it is often too late.

With two you get the Endgame armor performance. Probably not worth the cost but I wondered if anyone has tried it? Would polarized hull plating and 1 armor maybe be better if you are looking for more "hull"?

Of course some of you will say (quite rightly) that by the time you spend this much on a ship, you are doing a dreadnought and the problem with that is that some disabler such as Projected Stasis Field or Energy Dissipator tend to allow that dreadnought to be destroyed. That is probably true. What do you think?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should go 4 ablative armors because it would be fun. Voyager + Flagship + Styles + B'elanna
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gone up to 2 of them so far, and found that I really didn't need more than 1. It was a 1 ship dreadnought kind of thing, and it seemed that the second transphasic torpedoes were more worth while. That being said, using Chekov makes things so much easier to maneuver in the long run, and running scotty through your 360 firing does some pretty good damage but needs shields.

The other joke is that as much as people advertise the projected stasis fields or the energy dissipators or such. You should realize that if no one runs it, it's not a problem. So when you question if you should use an upgrade, because another card could screw with it, there are cards to screw with everything these days, and unless people are running sabotage to discard your ablative hull after you turn it on, it does stop most people from doing it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its definitely legal if you get a 2nd tech slot. As far as advisable, probably not so much.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
carbon_dragon wrote:
Not sure if you can use two generators. I suspect you'd have to get an extra tech on it, but if you could would it be legal or advisable? The downside of an armor generator other than its considerable cost is the fact that when it goes down you can't get your shields back till the end of the turn and by then it is often too late.
With two you get the Endgame armor performance. Probably not worth the cost but I wondered if anyone has tried it? Would polarized hull plating and 1 armor maybe be better if you are looking for more "hull"?
Of course some of you will say (quite rightly) that by the time you spend this much on a ship, you are doing a dreadnought and the problem with that is that some disabler such as Projected Stasis Field or Energy Dissipator tend to allow that dreadnought to be destroyed. That is probably true. What do you think?

As others have said, you could with the addition of a second tech slot, but it probably wouldn't be advisable. It's a lot of points for a defensive upgrade.
I've been using the Voyager semi-regularly since it was released, and I actually haven't even used one generator yet. I typically use it with very few upgrades, though. Picard and possibly Scott are my typical builds, although I believe I'm going to start adding Chekov. I initially used the transphasics, but find that I now prefer relying on the primary dice.

Kevin
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
underling wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:
Not sure if you can use two generators. I suspect you'd have to get an extra tech on it, but if you could would it be legal or advisable? The downside of an armor generator other than its considerable cost is the fact that when it goes down you can't get your shields back till the end of the turn and by then it is often too late.
With two you get the Endgame armor performance. Probably not worth the cost but I wondered if anyone has tried it? Would polarized hull plating and 1 armor maybe be better if you are looking for more "hull"?
Of course some of you will say (quite rightly) that by the time you spend this much on a ship, you are doing a dreadnought and the problem with that is that some disabler such as Projected Stasis Field or Energy Dissipator tend to allow that dreadnought to be destroyed. That is probably true. What do you think?

As others have said, you could with the addition of a second tech slot, but it probably wouldn't be advisable. It's a lot of points for a defensive upgrade.
I've been using the Voyager semi-regularly since it was released, and I actually haven't even used one generator yet. I typically use it with very few upgrades, though. Picard and possibly Scott are my typical builds, although I believe I'm going to start adding Chekov. I initially used the transphasics, but find that I now prefer relying on the primary dice.

Kevin


I've used it a few times now and in at least three occasions, the 5 points of armor went down and allowed the enemy to pound into my hull. On two of those occasions I lasted to get my shields back up and one I didn't.

I admit that multi ship builds with a ship disabling dodge would be bad for such a ship but for the energy dissipator first you have to hit with it (not easy if you have some agility defense die). Not sure about the stasis field (boy that was an animated Star Trek thing wasn't it, didn't see that coming).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably a good idea to have Sulu or Paris around to get more mileage out of the ablative generator.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWaspinator wrote:
It's probably a good idea to have Sulu or Paris around to get more mileage out of the ablative generator.


True for the transphasic torpedoes too. Only Valtane or Spock or a battlestations token are in order.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.