United States
flag msg tools
...a hand to hold onto.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Militia (4)
Once per turn, take one Lost Tribe off of an
adjacent tile and add it to your hand. You may use the Lost Tribe
to attack and defend regions with (e.g. they count as 1 of your current race). If your region is conquered, the Lost Tribe is the first to be removed from the board.

Not sure if Militia or Minutemen is a better name for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting, you might want to consider making it a 5 power though, it's only good early in the game, and I can't see it gaining more than 2 troops for you unless your opponents really screw up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Caro
United States
flag msg tools
...a hand to hold onto.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback! 5 sounds good.

Definitely an early game power unless McWeasley's LostTribes rule is implemented (from Community Compendium) - the ability to replace declined races with Lost Tribes could keep it going a little longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not any other race? Say you could maybe take one token from anywhere else, use it as your own but you can't attack that area in your turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Caro
United States
flag msg tools
...a hand to hold onto.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Why not any other race? Say you could maybe take one token from anywhere else, use it as your own but you can't attack that area in your turn?

Hmm. I'll playtest it and see how that goes. That's a good idea, because then it wouldn't require a variant to make it worthwhile throughout the whole game. Will post results. Thanks!

The reason why I originally went with Lost Tribes was trying to find an interesting way to use them but as the above poster pointed out the Tribes usually come off the board pretty quickly. My experiences so far have been limited to playing 2 and 3 player games so I didn't see that flaw right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

I agree that this could work. It is similar to Sorceror, but they actually conquer the region (better) but are only effective against single tokens (worse). Being able to steal a token from even heavily defended regions would be unique. I have no idea what an appropriate token number would be though.

*Note - It would be simpler to use your own race tokens once the opponent's token is stolen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Eaglesham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I like the idea. I would make a new power in a similar vein called Conscription. It would have to have a low initial value, say 1 or 2 as it is poor to start with but potentially powerful over a few turns.

At the start of the second turn in use, and at the start of each turn thereafter, take one active race token from all neighbouring competitors and add to your own race. Only one token per competitor, not one per active region if they have multiple regions adjacent to yours. Then complete the conquer phase as usual. This means that you would steal 0-4 race tokens at the start of each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some thoughts:
I like the concept of Militia but the implementation could be problematic. The designers have made sure that 2 different type tokens never occupy the same space and there is a very good reason: in multi player games, it can get very confusing whose tokens are on a given space. It's the reason there are no "2 different races occupy the same region" powers exist in the game and why nearly nearly every attempt at one posted here is flawed and probably unplayable in multiplayer games.

All the growing via conquering races (Skeletons, Sorcerors, Igors) do so by swapping out the conquered token(s) for their own. The game also makes allowances for this by providing extra tokens for these races beyond the standard banner+5.

It is very difficult for a non-expanding race to make use of growing powers. Some people will even say not to do it at all. Don't listen to them but be aware that the power won't be as strong as you think it is in most cases.

OK, so, you've tried to solve this problem by actually using the Lost Tribe tokens as your own however this raises other issues:
Can a single conscripted Lost Tribe token occupy a region for you? If so, how do you know that you occupy that region and it's not just a random Lost Tribe spot? Lost Tribes are in decline so would your single lost tribe be immune to Sorcerors? You don't even have the option of flipping the token over since both sides are the same.

I would strongly recommend against being able to do this on any other players' race especially without a swap out mechanic a la Sorcerors. "Is that my Ratman?" "No, I conscripted him" "No, that's my ratman so I'm gonna attack from that region" etc soblue

You'd be better off making new "milita/conscripted" tokens. Max 5.
Militia (4): When you conquer a Lost Tribe, add 1 Militia token to your hand. Militia tokens act exactly like your race tokens for all purposes. Militia tokens are removed from the board when you enter decline

Conscription is an even bigger offender. None but the already expanding races can handle adding 4 tokens a turn. And that is ignoring the fact that it is highly overpowered. It's basically Vampire or Sorceror without the single token restriction. Gaining tokens in Small World requires work. Skeletons must conquer 2 non-empty regions (cost=6 tokens to gain 1). Sorcerors make 1 for 1 swaps, but only once per opponent per turn, and only single tokens thus they can be defended against. Igors require 2 to 5 deaths on the board before gaining 1. Freely gaining 4 at the start of your turn at no cost completely unbalances the token distribution. To even be usable it would have to be a 0 or even -1 power otherwise your Conscripting Dwarves would have any new Dwarves to take from the tray at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also have it grab in-decline races.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.