Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My local FLGS has Winter Tales on the shelf. It looked interesting, but I really worry I could never get something like this to the table with a typical gaming group, or if I did, it wouldn't really be fun.

Anyone have luck with storytelling games like this on a game night? I usually pull out something like Dixit with non-gamers, and it goes over well, but gaming groups seem to prefer more structured gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Winter Tales and whilst it is stylistically cool, I never get it to the table. It has too many rules that don't really seem to add to the gameplay.

If you want a storytelling game you are better off with Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game or even better, you could branch out into RPGs like Fiasco or The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen as they don't try to railroad play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give Ace Detective a try?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris phillips
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have once upon a time, played only twice but we had fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloom is a good one that has more structure than a lot of other story telling games. It's essentially a take that card game, but you're also trying to put cards on your own characters so that when you score them (Or rather, kill them), they get you the most points possible.

I have played this one where the group wasn't interested in telling a story at all, and that made the game suffer horribly as a result. I tried to encourage telling stories, but no one seemed to want to join in. If you want to give them some encouragement, show your gaming group the episode of Table Top where they play this. It's pretty easy to get into the game once you've seen other people play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit can be a storytelling game, and it leaves things open enough for some players to be less verbose....

One of my favorite story telling games, and I've used it to get people into the mood for role playing games, is Aye, Dark Overlord! The Red Box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend bought Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game but had mixed results. She said it really relies on the creativity of the players. Mind you, I think that's true in lots of story telling games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
+ 1 for Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game but like most story telling games people need to put the effort in.

I also recommend the non-boardgame Fiasco which was mentioned. This is awesome although it may be another big step outside the comfort zone of people who thought they were going to play some Risk or Monopoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Wernig
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Agents of SMERSH

so far, Tales was ALWAYS a hit with people who were new to the game or to gaming entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are really two styles of game that you could be talking about - you have the creative games, such as Nanofictionary or Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game, where you are creating a story as you play that you tell throughout the game (and I would highly reccomend Machine of Death: The Game of Creative Assassination for this category - cooperative, with a good bit of tension - but can swing wildly based on the dice, or be somewhat boring if the group sets the difficulties too low).

The other one is what I shall refer to as the Experience game. These are the games that are so packed with theme that each game tells a story. These are games like Tales of the Arabian Nights or Eldritch Horror. I don't consider these Storytelling games, however, as it is the game itself generating the stories, rather than the players - which, to me, is the heart of a good Storytelling game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.