Subject: DBA 3 semi-finished rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear all,

there is a pre-release version of DBA 3 on the wrg home page, which Sue Laflin-Barker has kindly released, so that speculations on DBA 3 might end and actual games can be played.
It is a near finished version, very little (if anything) will change in the final version.
It is without army lists and such, 2.2 armies should be used until the DBA 3 rules are actually released.

UPDATE: --the link has been removed-- DBA 3 is supposed to be printed soon and be available at some point in late 2014.

I like many of the changes in theory, will have to play a few games with the new rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Lead Cotillion - http://flintlocklaser.blogspot.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: DBA 3 semi-finished (download!)
Cool, thanks for the link! As someone who's only played two games of 2.2 so far, can you or anyone else summarize the main changes between 2.2 and 3.0?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Terrain is a bit different.
- Build-Up-Area terrain is a lot more involved.
- Troop types are more detailled, with all the heavy infantry being now split in heavy ("solid") and medium ("fast") infantry. And double-based units have special rules now.
- Differentiation between different kinds of bow and crossbow.
- accordingly, combat factor is different. Noticably so for elephants, cataphracts, light horse.
- Hordes do not count as lost elements for the purpose of losing the game.
- movement is very different, as you do now measure by base widths, not by paces translated into inches or centimeters.

That are the most obvious changes I have noticed. Must be tons more. The game will play very different, which could be bad or good, depending on a lot of factors, most importantly on taste. I think I do so far like most of the changes (on paper, that is.)

As for your case, I would play whatever the people you play with are playing. If you are just starting out, I would go with 2.2 as for now, as there is lots of support material online, which is not the case for 3 as yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Coble
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Lead Cotillion - http://flintlocklaser.blogspot.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking as a playtester of successive iterations of 3.0, the movement changes matter the most in terms of overall feel. Things move faster relative to element sizes, so armies feel smaller and less ponderous. Logically enough, the nominal scale has also changed and an element now represents roughly half as many men as in 2.2.

Many changes in detail make various matchups work out differently. Knights have become better against pikes but a bit worse against blades, frex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
The download wouldn't connect for me - has it been taken down?

Anyway, thanks for the updates and info about 3.0 - any idea when it'll be released commercially?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
muzfish4 wrote:
The download wouldn't connect for me - has it been taken down?

It was taken down.
Quote:
Anyway, thanks for the updates and info about 3.0 - any idea when it'll be released commercially?

Last I heard from Phil Barker, the rules are finished, but release is currently held up - hopefully briefly - by some sort of distributor issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
What I have heard is not encouraging - like the Wadbag version there seems to have been a strong desire to layer on extra rules to bring it closer to DBM and the enhanced move flies in the face of the original design philosophy. Part of the problem is clearly that the designer has never learnt to 'shoot his darlings' so the clearly unworkable BUA rules remain and while a larger board is mentioned there is a finger wagging about what a bad idea it is. There are some good things, x-ray ZOC seems like an excellent idea and standardising around the base width is obviously a good idea (though that seems to only have been done partially).
In a month or two I am going to be teaching DBA to a new gaming group and I'm going to have to make some pretty difficult choices about what precisely to teach them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertBr wrote:
like the Wadbag version there seems to have been a strong desire to layer on extra rules to bring it closer to DBM

Extra rules have been added, but I wouldn't say many of them are in the direction of DBM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.