Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Schrempp
United States
Atascadero
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of dice does speed rally use? How does it work? Is there a dice table, roll the dice and look up you speed on a table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bschremp wrote:
What kind of dice does speed rally use? How does it work? Is there a dice table, roll the dice and look up you speed on a table?

LOL! I just had a conversation about this on the Speed Rally Yahoo Group (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/speedrally/info).

It actually uses 'custom' Polyhedral dice. A d4, d6, d8, d10 and d12. There is a lookup table in the rules.

Various alternatives have been tried, including a spinner and my own attempt at d6s:

I'm thinking about (and trying to save up money for) custom six-siders as follows:

1st Gear (blue)
1=1
2=1
3=2
4=2
5=2
6=2

2nd Gear (green)
1=2
2=3
3=3
4=4
5=4
6=4

3rd Gear (yellow)
1=4
2=5
3=6
4=6
5=7
6=7

4th Gear (orange)
1=7
2=8
3=9
4=10
5=11
6=11

5th Gear (red)
1=11
2=12
3=13
4=14
5=15
6=16

At the end of the day no matter which method you choose, as long as it's fair and it's easy to understand almost anything will work.

In fact, I'll post some pictures of 'poor mans' dice I made out of wooden blocks!

Here's the ones I did with dollar store wooden blocks:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Schrempp
United States
Atascadero
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cauldronofevil wrote:
bschremp wrote:

LOL! I just had a conversation about this on the Speed Rally Yahoo Group (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/speedrally/info).

It actually uses 'custom' Polyhedral dice. A d4, d6, d8, d10 and d12. There is a lookup table in the rules.

Various alternatives have been tried, including a spinner and my own attempt at d6s:

I'm thinking about (and trying to save up money for) custom six-siders as follows:

1st Gear (blue)
1=1
2=1
3=2
4=2
5=2
6=2

2nd Gear (green)
1=2
2=3
3=3
4=4
5=4
6=4

3rd Gear (yellow)
1=4
2=5
3=6
4=6
5=7
6=7

4th Gear (orange)
1=7
2=8
3=9
4=10
5=11
6=11

5th Gear (red)
1=11
2=12
3=13
4=14
5=15
6=16

At the end of the day no matter which method you choose, as long as it's fair and it's easy to understand almost anything will work.

In fact, I'll post some pictures of 'poor mans' dice I made out of wooden blocks!

Is there a copy of the lookup table someplace I can see it?

What is the distribution of numbers on the 'custom' Polyhedral dice (d4, d6, d8, d10 and d12)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven deavers
msg tools
mb
I use a app called flexidice. I know there is a list for the layout of the dice in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Trostle
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a breakdown of dice chart used in the game:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Schrempp
United States
Atascadero
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jape77 wrote:
Here is a breakdown of dice chart used in the game:

I found a source for other blank dice. I have not had a change to work on a jig for cutting, but I should be able to make D4, D6, D8, D10, D12 and D20 custom dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
bschremp wrote:

I found a source for other blank dice. I have not had a change to work on a jig for cutting, but I should be able to make D4, D6, D8, D10, D12 and D20 custom dice.

Are you still able to make custom dice? If so, I'd be interested in getting a couple of sets for Speed Rally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Schrempp
United States
Atascadero
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can make custom d6, have not been so good with the others. It is all about making a jig and the size of the engraving space and alignment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.