Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Hsu

New York City
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

I'm thinking of getting this to play with the girlfriend. She prefers games with fewer rules: she loves Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride, but felt a little overwhelmed by San Juan. Where would you say this game stands compared to those games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More towards the San Juan end of your spectrum I'd say. But it is like Carc and Ticket To Ride in that the stuff is all there on table for you to see, not hiding in a deck of cards, in case that was an element that added to the overwhelmingness for your gf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like it's slightly easier than San Juan, due to there being less 'rule changing' options (ie, in San Juan you have a hand full of potential new rules each turn), especially if you don't introduce the expansions right away.

The animal scoring is also a bit difficult to explain, but there's an app that'll do that for you, so just tell her and then say, 'but you don't need to remember that.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Russell
Australia
flag msg tools
I can only comment on the Ticket to Ride comparison, and I think its probably about the same weight. Maybe slightly easier due to the smaller scope.

I got this game as my first worker placement to play with the wife and its a pretty light, simple game to get your head around. Took about 10 minutes to explain and work through the rules as we were playing through the first time. But it also has some limited depth for min/maxers and strategic thinkers.

Personally, i think its a great little game for your purposes as thats exactly what i got it for and its worked a treat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth - I swear by this game as probably the best 2p game to play with borderline-gamer significant others. The rules are straightforward and the bits are appealing. It's not very complicated and the rules you need to know are mostly on the board

Also, plan on purchasing the expansion for it after a couple games. It does need the expansion for replay ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
Given those choices, I'd say it's between TtR and San Juan in complexity. The board basically spells out what options you have, you don't need to remember too much, so the gameplay is probably easier than San Juan. The scoring might be a little harder to explain, but the short-and-sweet rulebook does a great job of explaining it. So I think it's worth a shot, since it's got fewer rules than San Juan (at least it feels that way) but has about the same "rich" feel.

"Rich feel" means it's a step above Carc and even TtR in the variety and depth of gameplay. I actually love A:ACBaS. I prefer it to Agricola, in fact, and never went back to Agricola after having played the beautifully streamlined A:ACBaS. If you're worried it's a step too far, however, consider looking at the many other "best with 2" geeklists on this site. Some other 2-player games I can recommend:

Jaipur
Battle Line
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation (recently reprinted!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Agricola, then you're sure gonna like this one.
It's basically Agricola without the vegetables and the cards ... and a lot less game time.
It's realy easy to understand, although it's probably a bit more complex than Carcassonne or TtR. However, the 2 expansions are a must have to add some flavour to the game.

My girlfriend and I enjoy it a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Place a worker, get stuff for it.
Place a worker, spend stuff, put stuff on your board. These are fences. Animals go in fenced-in areas. Stables double the number of animals.
These are buildings. Animals go in buildings. Stables still double the number of animals. See the built-in fences? Expand your farm when you take a bigger stock of fences. When the stock of fences runs out, the game ends (in 8 turns). Some buildings are upgrades.
You get points for every animal, then bonus points for having a lot of them. They breed, because they're animals. Points for buildings, too. Points for filled up expansion stuff.

That's pretty much All Creatures. You can even leave off the points explanation and just tell her to get all the animals she can; she'll understand better during scoring. If it seems like too much (though I can't imagine why it would), just use the stables and the upgrades and ignore the 4 special buildings. It only takes 30 minutes, so you should play twice in a row anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Gagnon
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife will not play any "complicated" games and she plays this one. First play she was skeptical about me telling her it was an easy game but by the end of the 30 minutes of game play, she was fine with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryl Leon
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there better rules online? We were completely lost with our first try. :/ Not sure why since you all say it's easy-ish

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheryllion wrote:
Are there better rules online? We were completely lost with our first try. :/ Not sure why since you all say it's easy-ish

What were you lost with? I've had no problem teaching it to newbies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheryllion wrote:

Actually, Cheryl - Check this video out: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/18259/agricola-all-creatu...

That should help a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i would agree it is on the easy side.
What is it your having issues with?

Cheryllion wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also Rahdo does a great walk through. Watch this and you will easily play the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NUbS5KZEiI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.