Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Bigler
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and son like to play Ticket to Ride. We have played enough that it is a fast paced game for us.
However, we usually end the game upset with one -or- more players because they took the route we wanted -or- drew tickets right before us and got the routes we needed -or- played a route and ended the game when we only needed one more turn to complete our last ticket.
I'm almost surprised when they want to play again the very next day.

What games do you own where people continually want to play but always end up frustrated with how the game played out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter, Metropolys, Eminent Domain, Catan: Cities & Knights occasionally have that effect around our table top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's called player interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gregbigler wrote:
My wife and son like to play Ticket to Ride. We have played enough that it is a fast paced game for us.
However, we usually end the game upset with one -or- more players because they took the route we wanted -or- drew tickets right before us and got the routes we needed -or- played a route and ended the game when we only needed one more turn to complete our last ticket.

What games do you own where people continually want to play but always end up frustrated with how the game played out?

Arkham Horror and Talisman (Revised 4th Edition). We play expecting them to end, and they just don't.

Pete (sighs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror when your investigator just got his 5th condition and you just know the next mythos card is a reckoning. Oh yeah and its turn 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I sometimes get frustrated when I lose at cooperative games, especially if they are very hard and luck has a big role. Witch of Salem is such a game. (Ghost Stories is even worse in that regard, but I'm not sure yet if I like it.)

In competitive games, I only get frustrated if an opponent plays in an undesirable manner, like intentionally kingmaking or targeting a particular player from start to finish "just for fun". Well, maybe I'm also a little frustrated when I make some incredible blunder near the end of the game and lose because of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to love Warhammer Quest. But when you roll a 1 in the random encounter phase, when there are already two groups of monsters on the board and you finally had a party that was actually going somewhere...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquire - I love this game to bits but unfortunately some times the drawn tiles will kill your game and there's very little you can do about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I enjoy a game, the more it frustrates me. Ticket To Ride does NOT frustrate me ever, and I also hardly ever play it. Brass and Glory To Rome frustrate me a hell of a lot, yet I'm an absolute sucker for them. I tend to think I'm doing a lot worse than I actually am, and always feel like I want to do more things than I can. But the pay off of a good game is so much more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Combat Commander does this thing to me.

Things use to blow up in my face all the time. But I love this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Arkham Horror and Talisman (Revised 4th Edition). We play expecting them to end, and they just don't.

I understand that situation with Talisman. But Arkham for us is 3-4 hours max.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Johnson
United States
Midvale
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shogun is a game that I love to death. I am continually impressed by how well all the different elements mesh together and make for, what I feel, is an incredibly deep level of strategic thinking. When I play, there's very few times any of friends or I take an action saying, "oh heck why not?"

but then we start dropping cubes in the tower my thoughts change to, "how the crap am I losing this battle?! I put in 5 cubes and had some in the tower already, and you only put 2 AND I STILL LOST?!?!?!?!" For the life of me, as good as I feel about the strategy I've planned, either the face down cards or the tower just hate me, I just can't seem to wrap my head around how to actually win.

It's a strong love hate relationship we have

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery can become really nasty. Great game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big fan of Galaxy Trucker for this reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gregbigler wrote:

This phenomenom is indeed a very good one, meaning that the game works with your group and the group itself is working. thumbsup

Eldritch Horror: Some rumour events can be really challenging/devastating to the players and sometimes even result in instantly killing characters. Normally, we lose 1-2 investigators per game, which in the end fits the theme perfectly, but still, it can be really frustrating in that moment - especially if that character was leveled up in his statistics. Well, at least the equipment can be regained.

Lords of Vegas: Very dice-driven, confrontational game. Shifts of power can occur very quickly and if you are having bad luck with the dice, you will have a really hard time. The game is also very opened-up in the trading phase, which is a really nice aspect of the game, but it can also backfire on you as funding other player's actions/attacks is absolutely legitimate.

Chess: Easy to learn, but so very hard to master.

Poker: Having patience is key, as it can happen that you just sit at the table for a long time having no luck with your pocket cards. And, of course: failed bluffs + having the weaker hand at the showdown.

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island: This game can come down so very hard on the players, ouch. Well, at least the game features controlled chaos as players are free in deciding when and where they want to take the risk, which is (of course) cruicial in this game.

Games in which I don't feel the sting of frustration:

Galaxy Trucker: Watching your ship fall apart is actually almost the most fun of this game.

Pandemic: Literally no time for feeling frustration, as the tension is too high and the game flow to fast.

Zombie Dice: Losing here results for me in picturing an exploding zombie head - which is more than enough to counter the frustration of losing for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weston Stapleton
United States
Keller
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I liked goats before they were cool
mbmbmbmbmb
2P Stone Age against my wife
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed on Lords of Vegas... If you get lousy pulls and no one will trade with you, then you're basically taking up space...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the Commands & Colors games, but when you're rolling a handful of crap and your friend is rolling hits every time, it can get pretty frustrating.

I've also noticed with Twlight Struggle and Paths of Glory that 80% of the times I've played them, one person usually rolls hot all game while the other person rolls cold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently a 5p game of Keyflower did this to me. I used to love it, I'm still making up my mind right now.

I also played in a very cut-throat game of Fresco a while back. Not since Risk I-don't-want-to-play-anymore go-out-with-a-bang suicide missions have I seen so many people angry after a game. Myself included. I kind of love that that happened, but we haven't played it since either.

These are both games I do like quite a lot, mostly, but perhaps I'm not replying correctly since we haven't played them again since the tempers actually flared.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombicide: You're just trying to stay alive at first, then by the time the game group can just barely hold our own there are too many zombies showing up and we inevitably make that one wrong move (this unforgiving game only allows for one of those per game and we always make two)... aaaand then we eaten right at the finish line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A 4 player match of Smash Up. The game is fun and quick but every time I play four players there is the fourth player who just takes an hour to decide he is going to play anything. It drives me nuts because I know it can be played quick and doesn't require super strategy. So now when people ask to play I think yes let's play but then realize I didn't check who was playing with us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All games. If the cards do not go your way, dice hate you or players just buy the stuff you needed. I never mind it, regardless. Part of the experience, be it Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) or King of Tokyo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My game is Imperial.

Once you have experienced players, staying on top of good investments become troublesome as the bonds become more expensive. Trying to find the balance of country control, investment strength, rondel movement, and the precision of allowing or denying players/self investment opportunities is meticulous. The game is horribly addicting. Love every game I am apart of though.

Another game up there is Acquire. Getting the right tiles for mergers can be annoying. Little bit of luck is involved for sure. I have played more Acquire than Imperial, but Acquire doesn't hold my interest as well as Imperial as far as investment manipulation. I guess I can say it is frustrating that my family prefers Acquire over Imperial. I get most of my plays of Imperial online at brettspielwelt.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 on anything involving dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last two plays of The Cave I've been involved in, there has been one player (myself once) who played well all the way up to the end when they got stranded without consumables and were eliminated with no points.

It's a nice game and quite thematic, but after spending a long time planning and preparing; it was one of the most frustrating plays I've had to be in a winning position and lose at the last moment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.