Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend I pulled out my copy of Saratoga. Still in shrink wrap I pulled the plastic off and punched the game. The result was a great Sunday morning solo scenario of the Battle of Saratoga. I passed on the tactical chits as I think that part of the game is a pain - certainly playing solo. Otherwise I played my first game in the system. It was epic if I have to say so myself.

In 1776 Colonel Morgan had been captured and later exchanged by the British to re-raise his unit. The unit was renowned for its toughness, rumored to be able to march 40 miles in a day, and for its marksmanship. Legend was that the men practiced marksmanship by shooting apples off each other’s heads.

Morgan and Arnold were close companions from the Quebec campaign. They spent the hours before Freeman’s Farm carousing. Together they harassed Gates to attack the British in the woods rather than skulk in the fortifications on Bemis Heights. Finally Gates agreed to Arnold’s aggressive move, but stayed behind on the Bemis Heights with 2/3 of available forces.

In my game The British didn't attack the Heights and Gates wing wasn't released until the last turn so Benedict Arnold fought this one solo. The British never pushed to Bemis Heights and fought the battle around Freeman’s Farm.

The last combat of the last turn of the game found the Patriots at only a slight advantage. The Patriots were up 1 Victory point. A marginal Marginal Victory. But the last close combat of the last turn made all the difference. Morgan’s rifles led the attack led by Arnold. On defense at the edge of Freeman’s Farm was a British infantry unit led by Fraser. The Rifle attack on the British unit reduced it by a step. Then the Close Combat Assault roll was a 9 and with modifiers resulted in a step loss and a killed leader. Morgan’s riflemen shoot Fraser – art does imitate life!

It also resulted in a 3 point addition to the Patriots score as the Patriots received 1 VP for contesting Freeman’s Farm, killing a leader and destroying a unit. Suddenly the marginal victory was not so marginal. Good guys win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.