8 Posts

Kaosball: The Fantasy Sport of Total Domination» Forums » General

Subject: How does this game only take an hour?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Nairb
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everywhere I look (including the main page), people are saying that this game only takes an hour to play. Is anyone actually playing in an hour? Our 2 player sessions have taken an hour and a half minimum, and we're playing a four player free-for-all and two hours in we're only at half time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Machado
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I share your concern...
I've played a 4 players teams in 5 hours (actually, it took us 7 hours, but we stopped to make dinner, eat, drive someone home, etc)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iamadoorknob wrote:
Everywhere I look (including the main page), people are saying that this game only takes an hour to play. Is anyone actually playing in an hour? Our 2 player sessions have taken an hour and a half minimum, and we're playing a four player free-for-all and two hours in we're only at half time.

I just got my copy and we played our first game (my son and I) in about an hour... and that was with looking up a couple things. I think it would easily play in an hour in most plays... as long as you didn't fall victim to analysis paralysis. It takes only 4-6 turns to hit the 9 card limit... if you play one card per turn... and do a reaction on about half of your opponent's turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Moriarity
Canada
flag msg tools
It depends on how seriously you take the game.

Play it fast & furious, and you'll be done in an hour.

Play it carefully and deliberately, always trying to find the best strategic and tactical options, and it'll be much longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the initial play will be slow as you try to get a hang on all the rules and go through some debates on interpretation and asking for clarification.

It would play faster when players are more familiar with the game. Also, it depends on each player on how fast they want to end the period and not going into AP (Analysis Paralysis).

I also think it would depend on the match-up. For my friend and I, we took a longer time playing Ninja vs Samurai as we took some time to guess each other cards and tactical decision.

In addition, Teams which require more thinking of positioning and timing may have players take a longer time to think through their tactics. See my article of the difficulty rating of each team - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1194791/difficulty-ratin...

If you want some really fast, go for Teams that are more straightforward in their game play namely Amazon, Barbarian, Vampire, Daemon, Valkyrie, Troll, and Pirate. I think 1 and half hour is still fine with me. Definitely with more players, things can be more chaotic and you have to wait for each player to make their decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaosball is 30 minutes per player minimum. In games with experienced players I find 2p games take about 60-90, with 4 they take 2-2.5 hours.

YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I've played a game that lasted longer than 45 minutes. I only play 2-player, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It comes down to how well you know the rules and how indecisive the players are. We have started a 2 player game and a 3 player game side by side at the same time and the 3 player game finished the 3rd quarter before the 2 player game finished the half. That was even with pausing the 3 player game to answer questions for the 2 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.