Popular Tags: [View All]
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
With Inspire being the only basic action that costs money (that is on Agent cards), do you have to pay in order to actually Inspire?

I assume yes since Hamish Lothian specifically says it costs one crown less to do so.

With cards that tell you to Inspire more than once, are you required to do all the available Inspires or can you choose to do less. In particular Esa Cinthio, which says to inspire and then Inspire for each district you control. Also in regards to her, she says to Inspire for each district. Does that mean if I control Canals, Senate, and Atheneum, I can only Inspire once each in all of those regions, or do I have 3 Inspires total to spend however?

Finally, but unrelated, Maria Ubbriaco's flip when next to ability is different than Giacomo Olivera and Warson Riley. Those two appear to remain face down as long as the appropriate Trait is next to them. But with her, it just says when it is placed. So I assume she can be Rallied after the initial placement and no longer be affected (unless that neighbor is replaced with another trigger). Correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
char(filter(1,[1 -1],[66 5 0 -39 82 -3 -12 8 8 -82]))
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
With Inspire being the only basic action that costs money (that is on Agent cards), do you have to pay in order to actually Inspire?

I assume yes since Hamish Lothian specifically says it costs one crown less to do so.

I would argue yes, based on the fact that in the rules, p. 14, the "extra abilities" section states "Some abilities have text in italics; these indicate that the player should use the basic abilities indicated. Sometimes these basic abilities are modified by additional text...in these cases modify the basic ability as noted." I would interpret that to mean you only modify the rules of the basic ability if the card says so, so if a card doesn't say inspiring costs less, then it doesn't.

ColtsFan76 wrote:
With cards that tell you to Inspire more than once, are you required to do all the available Inspires or can you choose to do less. In particular Esa Cinthio, which says to inspire and then Inspire for each district you control. Also in regards to her, she says to Inspire for each district. Does that mean if I control Canals, Senate, and Atheneum, I can only Inspire once each in all of those regions, or do I have 3 Inspires total to spend however?

I would love to hear an official answer for the first part of this question. For the second part, the card doesn't say that you need to inspire only in the districts you control, so I'd say you can spend the inspire actions anywhere, even in districts you don't control. They can also be used in the same district.

ColtsFan76 wrote:
Finally, but unrelated, Maria Ubbriaco's flip when next to ability is different than Giacomo Olivera and Warson Riley. Those two appear to remain face down as long as the appropriate Trait is next to them. But with her, it just says when it is placed. So I assume she can be Rallied after the initial placement and no longer be affected (unless that neighbor is replaced with another trigger). Correct?

For those who don't have the cards handy, here's the exact wording on each:

Maria Ubbriaco wrote:
Flip this agent face down if a Guildsman is placed to her right.

Watson Riley wrote:
Flip this agent face down if it is ever adjacent to another Merchant.

Giacomo Olivera wrote:
Flip this agent face down if he is ever next to a Senator in your ranks

Based on the different wording of Maria, I would argue what you did, which is that you only flip her face down when the agent is placed next to her. If you rally later, you would not flip her again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you must pay to inspire,otherwise you could inspire for infinite money for free.

IIRC, Esa Cinthio lets you inspire X+1 times, where X is the number of districts you control. You may inspire anywhere.

It does indeed appear that Maria is a triggered flip a thus may rally. I guess she gets over the disgrace,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
edbolme wrote:
IIRC, Esa Cinthio lets you inspire X+1 times, where X is the number of districts you control. You may inspire anywhere.

Yes, that is the gist of her ability.

The open question though is can you Inspire less than X+1 if you so desire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspire and opt to pay zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.