Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul D
Australia
Carnegie
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We played our first game the other day (modern era). It seems as though the intrigue cards weren't balanced -- some just seemed great, some seemed great in the right situation, while other just didn't seem very useful at all.

Is there an era that has the best balanced intrigue cards? Or are there some that are just worth removing?

We did get somethings wrong when we played. So this might just be a naive worry. If so, being told that would be nice.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm not mistaken, the intrigue cards in this new edition have different powers than the ones in the previous two editions. In fact, intrigue cards were just an optional rule in the original FM version and worked a bit differently than the ones in the current rule sets. In the FM edition optional rules there were fewer cards, but they were all face up in an open "market." Players were able to pick which card they wanted, and then after use the card went back to the face up market for others to pick if they so desired.

Personally, I've always felt the intrigue cards were just a bolted on mechanic, so I wouldn't worry about not using them. That said, I have no idea how important they are to to the "modern" version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always prefer to play without the cards. They aren't necessary. Basically if you like chaos and surprises in games add the cards. If you like carefully planned and orchestrated strategy to be rewarded don't include them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.