https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr7Pfel_5Yc&feature=youtu.be

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Chest
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No offense to anyone you played against but both those Borg fleets were horrible. The self destruct cube was just such an epic fail. I get what he was trying to do, but wow, it just did not work out the way he expected! Then the second list has a Miranda Class and Picard. I can only assume that he's tried to give himself a chance in the Captain's battle, but in the end all he accomplished was to leave his Cube with almost nothing to modify attack dice. Throwing an average of three hits is probably not going to do him much good considering he can only attack once per turn. The one time I noticed an action token beside his ship it looked like he had taken a scan. Whenever possible he should have been target locking instead to boost his attack dice effectiveness. A single ship build with the Borg Cube that was built to lose the captain's battle outright would have faired much better against your fleet. Granted, it looks like you were playing faction pure, and the Borg have somewhat limited choices, but still I think he would have been much better off as a single ship than with the Miranda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me the Borg player just flew his ships quite badly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
achates wrote:
Seems to me the Borg player just flew his ships quite badly.

I was playing the Borg that day, and I admittedly was not playing to win, I was playing experimentally to see if the slingshot alpha destruct build would work. Steve gave me the ride to the event, and I decided to play Borg on the way there, and came up with the strategy while chatting with Steve on the ride in. He knew what I was going to do, and he set his Klingons up where he did because he wanted to make it impossible for me to get to him in time. This was my first time playing the cube, so I didn't do as well judging distances, and whatnot. But as I wasn't playing to win so much as I wanted to explode my cube in the midst of Steve's Klingons just to see what would happen, I will accept the criticism with grace.

My Bat rep is up in the sessions forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies - my comment was too blunt. I suppose what I meant was, even given that strategy, surely the one thing you wanted to avoid was flying directly into the field of fire of all three Klingon ships in formation. I haven't flown the cube either, but wouldn't it have made more sense to try and maneuver around and break up their formation a bit, e.g. using the planet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
achates wrote:
Apologies - my comment was too blunt. I suppose what I meant was, even given that strategy, surely the one thing you wanted to avoid was flying directly into the field of fire of all three Klingon ships in formation. I haven't flown the cube either, but wouldn't it have made more sense to try and maneuver around and break up their formation a bit, e.g. using the planet?

I was unwarranted in my confidence that the cube would live through a full frontal assault, and when push came to shove, it was actually pretty close, I wasn't concerned about him doing damage, since I was self destructing anyway, but had he managed to take me out, that would have been the end of the self destruct. Had the dice have gone a little better for him that would have been the end of the self destruct.

The danger of going around the planet was that I set up first, so if I set up to the left or right of the planet (intending to go around it), he was certain to set up the farthest from me on the other side of the planet and while I was trying to get behind the planet, he would speed up around the planet, and I would never catch him with the grid moves - even with an extra move each turn.

I had to come in on the inside, or so I reasoned, in order to force him not to run. If I was going to do it again, I would probably go the same, only doing the self destruct sooner, and hoping to catch a ship or two in the blast.

We both had a blast at my expense- literally and figuratively. If my goal had been to win, rather than to set off the self destruct prior to the captain's battle, I would have played the whole thing differently, beginning with keeping my strategy to myself.

But we have a great, casual group, and the fact that we could do this one for laughs at an OP even says a lot about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.