Thumb up
1 Posts

Memoir '44» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Two Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
I just played my first four Memoir '44 games yesterday: what a trip!

The first game we simplified the rules a bit, just so we could get into the swing of things. We ignored the "lose a unit when you can't retreat" rule and played with a simpler line of sight (any attack was ok as long as the LoS violation wasn't extremely obvious). We started with the first battle (#1 - Pegasus Bridge) with myself as German and my opponent as British.

The game started fairly smoothly. The Brits concentrated their attacks on their left front, going mainly for the Pegasus Bridge and ignoring the Orne for the most part. As German, my main goal was to try to bottleneck the Brits and whittle their forces down as they headed for the bridge. I moved both people on that side (my right front) towards the bridge, on the other side of the river. Then, with my forces lined up, I started picking their units off both across the river and from my entrenched troops their side of the river. The British finally managed to overrun me with a series of good rolls that forced my units on the other bank to retreat, and a dual attack on my encampment from the south and east. On the other front, they managed to defeat both of my units and take the Orne Bridge despite dedicating only two units to the task! All in all, I was defeat by a score of 4-2.

Immediately after, I was thirsty for revenge. We flipped the board and opted for the third scenario, #3 - Sword Beach. I took Allies this time with my opponent acting as German. My main goal was for my tanks to plow through the barbed wire so that my units could storm the beach in force. I started on the left front, first advancing my tanks and then my special forces. The Germans mainly stayed put, sometimes advancing a little ways, but never onto the beach, to hit me with a couple attacks and some artillery shells. I was eventually able to capture the left bunker from my opponent's infantry. On the right front, I managed to generally plow through the Germans to capture the far right town by the end of the map.

My one, big fault here was the over-dedication of my troops to killing the German artillery in center field. I managed to roll about ten dice before killing one, only to have it healed with the 'Medics & Mechanics' card the turn after! Doh! Meanwhile, the Germans had managed to get their tanks into play and wiped out my half-wasted infantry units off the face of the Earth. If I were to replay this map, I definitely would ignore the artillery if at all possible and concentrate on both flanks and getting the towns at the top of the map. Also, I should have divided my orders evenly between tanks and troops as I found myself a couple of times with some units in the front but most on the beach or even in the ocean! Without more units available to make a difference, complex moves and stronger attacks weren't possible. I eventually lost this map as well, 3-5.

Overall, I really had a blast playing Memoir '44. The pieces are wonderful, the scenarios are superb, and the gameplay is fast and interactive. Will definitely be playing this more and more!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.