Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw several expansions yesterday, most said standalone. How do you use them if you have more than one of them?
Do you choose a specific box to play?
Are you meant to mix them all up in a big, unshuffle-able pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the first few, shuffled them all in, decided I now have more than enough cards and have stopped bothering about expansions ever since meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gr9yfox wrote:
I saw several expansions yesterday, most said standalone. How do you use them if you have more than one of them?
Are you meant to mix them all up in a bug, unshuffle-able pile?

Either way works.

1 set at a time
+simple cleanup
Don't need to sort out cards

+focus on game's feature mechanics
For example, playing Storm Of Souls, the Event cards are less diluted
Another one... just Rise Of Vigil can focus on the Energize mechanic, or Energize and/or Dark Energize mechanic from Darkness Unleashed

-can't discover any synergies nor combos between cards cross-set.

1 block at a time
1 or 2 sets that share common features
E.g. Storm Of Souls and Immortal Heroes both have the Event cards.
E.g.2 CotG or Return Of The Fallen are said to work well together too, and is the most "bland", but approachable for newbies

This is a hybrid between the 2

go hog wild
I really like this, but playing this on iOS where the computer sets up everything for you from base game to Immortal Heroes, plus 4 promo packs does simply things a whole lot that it's difficult to do with a boxed copy.

+you get to explore card synergies and combos
E.g. Two-Fold Askara with any interesting hero
e.g. Arha Templar to auto-kill some of the nicer, 4-power monsters in other sets
+force some features otherwise.
For example, I did a review of Realms Unraveled, and it turns out, there are NO monsters in that set that destroy constructs (aka discard constructs from play)!
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1192887/ascension-realms...
+some people felt Energize being that concentrated was too OP anyways
+explore even more cross-set faction synergies

-one ginormous deck that can tip over and flood the CR
-and then you gotta shuffle that monstrosity too
-if you want to separate them out for play with standalone sets, then that'll take time.
-some mechanics get diluted, like previously mentioned Energize and Events.
However, you can use Storm Of Souls placeholder event cards to increase the frequency of Events. Energize... not so much
-you may never see a certain faction, or so few of them depending on how the shuffle went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
gr9yfox wrote:

This answer from the official knowledge base should help.

https://stoneblade.zendesk.com/entries/26347873-Can-I-combin...-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huuuze wrote:
gr9yfox wrote:

This answer from the official knowledge base should help.

https://stoneblade.zendesk.com/entries/26347873-Can-I-combin...-

Thanks! Knowing about the blocks makes it much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy solution I came to a week ago - sell off everything made until now and buy Realms Unraveled. It's the vastly superior product to any other Ascension made. You have to give the first three blocks their due though. Without them, you wouldn't have what RU is now.

It's very clear that, since Storm of Souls, the Stoneblade team has been trying to find a way to make powerful cards and combos possible. In the first block powerful cards were just baked in and it was sheer luck if you got there first or not. Soul Gems were an attempt to make this better but, I think, the didn't work very well. Energy Shards was an evolution of the process but it was very hit or miss due to the randomness of their distribution.

Transformation is, hands down, the pinnacle of this process. You get very powerful cards but you have to hit certain circumstances just right to make them available (transformed). RU is truly what Ascension should be. Ditch the rest, play it forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Easy solution I came to a week ago - sell off everything made until now and buy Realms Unraveled. It's the vastly superior product to any other Ascension made. You have to give the first three blocks their due though. Without them, you wouldn't have what RU is now.

It's very clear that, since Storm of Souls, the Stoneblade team has been trying to find a way to make powerful cards and combos possible. In the first block powerful cards were just baked in and it was sheer luck if you got there first or not. Soul Gems were an attempt to make this better but, I think, the didn't work very well. Energy Shards was an evolution of the process but it was very hit or miss due to the randomness of their distribution.

Transformation is, hands down, the pinnacle of this process. You get very powerful cards but you have to hit certain circumstances just right to make them available (transformed). RU is truly what Ascension should be. Ditch the rest, play it forever.

I did a review on that. Overall, a fine set. However, there were some power creeps, and an extreme one at that (check the spoilers). It was ridiculous to see them going, but AFAIK, even though you still need to line up a lot of ducks in a row, it's still less than in previous sets (e.g. the infinite turns trick)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1192887/ascension-realms...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.