Popular Tags: [View All]
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On this rule set? I'd like to get into this game scale and it looks fun and lighthearted, but curious how many models/cost would have to be spent for a standard faction?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played but have been researching. Important to know you need the hardback book - sold separately from the smaller basic rules included with the starter. Since I usually have to provide both forces for off brand games like this, that fact has me waiting and seeing instead of diving in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Had it since retail launch and have run 5+ demos, both sides. What a great game.

Don't let the book purchase hold you off. First, it's a wonderful book. Second, every mini game requires you to buy the book. And the little book in the starter is a great reference during play.

Can't be happier with the game. Thumbs up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to play the game twice today, first plays.
First game was a couple hundred points. I fielded US infantry-only with some machine gun units against a single tripod. He ate my guys for lunch.

Second game was US armor (2 tanks units; a large command tank; and a single unit of machine gun infantry) versus 4 tripods. I managed some extremely lucky rolls to kill one of his assault tripods and whittled a scout tripod down. Ultimately, the tripods' high armor, amazing weaponry and the fact that only humans take morale checks when a unit's damaged made this another one-sided fight. If I hadn't rolled very high multiple times early on, I would have been wiped out even sooner.

Rules are pretty easy to follow. Because initiative can change from turn to turn, things can turnaround even if you have the lead. The tripods are tough customers but my feeling is that determined (and just a bit lucky) human forces can fight them off. We didn't use the command tokens which adds another level to the game (your commander can help rally units, move more quickly, etc.).

Not every miniature game requires you to buy the hardback. The current version of Flames of War and the recently released 7th Edition 40k both have full rules in their mini rulebook versions.

Having had a chance to look at both AQOMF books, I think you can play a decent amt of games with just the mini-one that comes with the starter. It includes points values for the units so you can play points-based games (but was told some points values don't agree btw the books and even internally within the hardback).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kraft
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game and painting the miniatures right now.

Easy rules (compared to some heavy ancient rules I use to play). Because of the move-shoot-move gameplay is fluent and both sides can try to out manouvre the opponent.
The miniatures are very cool looking (and they are huge). And help immersion in the battle very much.
Minor issues in the rulebook concerning cost of units.

Tripods are are a tough nut to crack but you can whittle them down as most criticals do not destroy them but reduce their armor. Of course the opposing side has staggering casualities in the process.

One tripod was killed by the infantry HQ with a lucky Rifle barrage because it was almost finished already.

Like the system very much and my two boys can't wait to play the next battle (with painted minis then ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.