Michael Evans
United Kingdom
St Ives
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologise if this has been clarified before, my goggle-fu might have failed me. Also I see no mention in the FAQ about this.

Can the power on the distraction card that forces a player to choose two of their characters to not block in the upcoming Attack Step be used multiple times to force them to choose different characters each time or can they just choose the same two characters. Basically is a character that is already forced to not block a valid target for another effect that forces them to not block.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Tedford
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a thread where this is discussed:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1179398/after-attacking-bloc...

And this is the section where they talk about it:

jhoratio wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:
1havok12 wrote:
Along the same lines, if you used a character that has a "when blocks" ability such as Beast, his ability still triggers even though you used Distraction to get rid of whatever he was blocking.

But couldn't you use Distraction in the Main Step, thus preventing say Beast from even declaring as blocker (though opponent gets to pick the targets)? If character X can't block this turn, he can't declare as blocker and then "bounce back" to not block, can he?

While on the subject of Distraction, is there any point in having 2x to use same turn? Say opponent has 4 characters (1-4), he picks 1 and 2 for Distraction 1, could he then target 1 and 2 for D2? So best to use D1 in the Main Step and D2 in the Attack Step?

The Basic Action Distraction (as opposed to the global ability on the Distraction card) reads the following: "Your opponent targets two of his or her characters. Those characters cannot block (this turn)". There's nothing there that says the characters must have previously been able to block, so you are certainly correct in thinking that your opponent could target the same two characters for 2 separate Distraction actions.

You are right that you can use Distraction during the Main Step to prevent Beast from ever declaring to block. In fact, in order for Distraction to work, it must be used during the Main Step, that's the only time you can use it. The action window during the attack step is after the assign blockers phase, so at that point it would be too late. Distraction is useless during the Attack Step.

So no, I don't think it could ever work to use two Distractions. Perhaps you could use Force Beam, kill 2 lower level Beasts, then Distract the other 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Evans
United Kingdom
St Ives
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were to play 2 Distraction Actions, you would force your opponent to select 2 characters to not be able to block, and then force them to select 2 characters to not be able to block again. There is nothing preventing them from selecting the same 2 characters the second time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now here is an example of a die where I wonder if they misworded a card that made it weaker and not stronger.

At 4 cost, I wonder if the intent of the card was to be able to assign new targets each time. If I play 3 distractions and you have 6 characters, no one can block.

Now to be clear, as written I am 100% in agreement that you can assign it repeatedly to the same 2 characters. But my thought is, was that the intent?

I could see it costing 3 if it only can ever be used once in a turn.

Granted if it costs 3 you could buy it easier and use it more frequently, meaning the opponent is essentially down by 2 blockers most of the time. But I still do not know if it justifies a 4 cost.

From our experience I think distraction was bought maybe once and we are a group who heavily enjoys our action dice. When used it was just so unimpressive.

So to recap, as worded I agree it only can ever work once a round, but do you think this may be another die that was just worded poorly. Did the designers forget to add "that were not targeted by distraction this turn" to the wording?

Just wondering what other people think. Is 4 cost fair for this die?
Gearing Up and Thrown Car are game winners when used just by themselves. But distraction seems to fizzle in comparison in value for its price.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Favazza
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with distraction all the time - but barely ever buy the dice. We just love the global!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lunsford-Davis
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jabah wrote:
We play with distraction all the time - but barely ever buy the dice. We just love the global!

Haha. I agree with this completely. At 4 cost, who is buying all 3 dice on this card? Seems like my games never leave me in a position to just buy up a bunch of pricey non-character dice (other than a Soaring Angel/Dr. Strange deck, but that's why they make 2-3 cost actions). Plus it's the same issue as Invulnerability: rolling multiple action sides on a turn is functionally a wasted die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.